Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Default How do you handle 'anti-hunting'?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm not doing this right or if someone already made a post about this, but I'd like to know how you guys react or deal with 'anti-hunting'. The reason I'm asking is because my boyfriend posted a video of me grouse hunting on facebook and of course it was only a matter of time before some people started commenting on how horrible I am for "murdering a defenseless animal". It definitely got my hackles up, but rather than arguing on the internet I just left it alone. I asked him to take the video down to avoid any fights, but he refused because he's proud of me and wanted to show off my hunting to our family and friends.

Have you guys had any similar experiences and how do you usually handle it? I'll be honest, it took a lot of my strength not to defend myself because I'm very passionate about hunting, but sometimes it's better to avoid an argument.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 PM

You cannot change other peoples opinions. I just dont engage in the argument. Tell your bf to take down the video, if he doesn't it may be a good sign to get a new one.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Personaly i would post more videos and/or delete the "friends" that have a problem with you.
But thats just me .the older i get the less patience i have for sniveling do gooders who have no idea what they are talking about.
I love to point out how clearing land to grow there vegetables is basicaly large scale genocide of many species.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:12 PM

If you are Hunting for meat then tell them you are hunting for meat. It is more "ethical" to hunt for meat than to purchase the meat you purchase in a grocery store. Hunting has been around since the begining of man.

Too many people lack the education to realize exactly where their food comes from and how it got to the "store".

If you are going up against a Vegan.. well... tell them vegtables have souls and they are murdering countless vegtables every day...

With that being said I am going on my first hunt this year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If they have an opinion it is imperative it is an educated one and not one formed by pop culture, celebrities, or some other brain washing agency.

Always ask the question as to why, and what is the basis that makes them form their opinion?
Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Hunting is an essential life skill that many have lost. I would ask those detractors if they eat meat, if they do eat meat (but don't hunt) they are merely subcontracting the killing aspect. They pay for the killing.

Often these same people who criticize hunting might hold third world cultures and the traditional hunting customs of native people in a high regard. I would ask them their thoughts on these peoples traditional hunting, and if they say 'Thats fine for them' I would respond why they are so bigoted that they think we hunters in first-world developed societies can't have the same rights and traditions.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Very simply I play the heritage card.....

Hunting is my heritage enshrined in the Charter of rights....

I don't comment when people want to write down their religious affiliation as Jedi....It is their right....

Hunting is my heritage.... When I explain how most vegetables are consumed in a living state and just because they do not have a structure we recognise to scream....

It is shown that when one plant i sharmed it releases chemicals that other plants recognise and try to become less palatable...
Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM

I'd compare your grouse to a chicken and ask them what would you rather eat, a free range chicken free of steroids and what ever else chickens are raised with these days, or a so called chicken factory bird? Myself, I'd pick the free range chicken every time. Your grouse is the same as a free range chicken.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM

Pose this to them....

What is more ethical, harvesting a wild animal on its own turf on its terms? Or harvesting a domesticated animal that even before it was born was destined to go to the abattoir when it hits a certain age and weight? I know which one I prefer to pursue and will continue to do so. Hunters are among the largest group of conservationists and advocates for habitat recovery and conservation. Just because you buy it in the store doesn't absolve you from having a hand in the harvest.

Also keep in mind I have nothing against beef farmers...my grandfather was one, and my Dads a butcher.

I recently left that response to someone who pulled the "it's people like you who want to shoot all OUR wild animals"

LC
Old 09-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
If you are Hunting for meat then tell them you are hunting for meat. It is more "ethical" to hunt for meat than to purchase the meat you purchase in a grocery store. Hunting has been around since the begining of man.

Too many people lack the education to realize exactly where their food comes from and how it got to the "store".

If you are going up against a Vegan.. well... tell them vegtables have souls and they are murdering countless vegtables every day...

With that being said I am going on my first hunt this year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If they have an opinion it is imperative it is an educated one and not one formed by pop culture, celebrities, or some other brain washing agency.

Always ask the question as to why, and what is the basis that makes them form their opinion?

I agree completely, and my argument would be that hunting is greatly more rewarding than just picking up a steak or chicken leg from the grocery store. The work and time you put into hunting game pays off when you get to eat what you worked so hard to get. And an even better argument is that technically the meat you are eating is already free range and organic, which is the "in" thing nowadays.

Also, good luck on your first hunt!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:56 PM

As frustrating (to put it mildly) as it is, there is likely nothing at all that you can say to these people. It's futile to even try IMO as it usually only leads to more frustration. Ignore them the best you can. Can't you block people?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Hunting is an essential life skill that many have lost. I would ask those detractors if they eat meat, if they do eat meat (but don't hunt) they are merely subcontracting the killing aspect. They pay for the killing.

Often these same people who criticize hunting might hold third world cultures and the traditional hunting customs of native people in a high regard. I would ask them their thoughts on these peoples traditional hunting, and if they say 'Thats fine for them' I would respond why they are so bigoted that they think we hunters in first-world developed societies can't have the same rights and traditions.
True, I'm one of the lucky ones that was taught hunting at a young age and I'm glad I have that skill and get to hone it year after year. I'm trying to pass along my skills to my boyfriend, but he needs to get past the blood and guts first. He has my back at least, and did respond suggesting that the people commenting against me should watch the movie Food Inc, which is a documentary surrounding mass food production. Awesome insight to anyone buying meat from a grocery store.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Generally if it's face to face I love to hear arguments about farmed meat being killed in a more humane fashion as it makes me laugh. On social media like facebook my reaction is usually the same, delete and block, that goes for family, friends, mother, father, or whoever else felt the need to tell me how I live my life is wrong. Don't have the time to argue or hear about it.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Last week I had a semi friendly debate with a "anti hunter", he wasn't ignorant just stated his views and how he never could commit the "crime." Guess where he's from it starts with a T and ends with a Onto.

The first thing I discovered was he loved meat, so obvieously I filled him in on the whole ranching process. He was also uninformed on that issue as well. He at first tried to call my bluff but a little patience and some google and he understood.

The I went in with the "3 ways of dying principle." I am a person of deep empathy and who was sad when I was young and made my first kill. But I received some great advice. There's really only 3 ways out of the game when you involve Mother Nature and wild game.

1. Predatory attack, which usually involves hours of harassment followed by slowly being eaten alive from the back end first.
2. Starvation, very slow and painful
3. Freezing to death once again slow and painful

Animals don't have an rrsp fund that they contribute to and then retire somewhere warm. Very rarely does any creature die peacefully from old age.

I explain that it is our duty to make sure that animal dies fast and with very little suffering. It sometimes doesn't work that way but we have to be respectful and diligent.

He actually came around and began to somewhat understand what I was saying.

In the end try to be professional and respectful. They might get aggressive but stay calm and explain yourself. They might continue to be annoying but they might consider what you said later on. It's kind of like arguing with your wife. Don't say things angry or to try and win the fight. Say things that they'll think about later when they've calmed down and are being more reasonable!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroOokami View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm not doing this right or if someone already made a post about this, but I'd like to know how you guys react or deal with 'anti-hunting'. The reason I'm asking is because my boyfriend posted a video of me grouse hunting on facebook and of course it was only a matter of time before some people started commenting on how horrible I am for "murdering a defenseless animal". It definitely got my hackles up, but rather than arguing on the internet I just left it alone. I asked him to take the video down to avoid any fights, but he refused because he's proud of me and wanted to show off my hunting to our family and friends.

Have you guys had any similar experiences and how do you usually handle it? I'll be honest, it took a lot of my strength not to defend myself because I'm very passionate about hunting, but sometimes it's better to avoid an argument.
Don't worry about opinions, they are like belly buttons, everyone has one now for the boyfriend, he is proud of you, you said it yourself and if your going to be in a relationship that's a good start, as for him not taking it down maybe this squabble is not worth it...if it is then kick the bum out! just kidding and welcome!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM

I would encourage you to not take your video down. You should be proud of your hunting, I am going to assume that your grouse hunting was totally legal. Your real friends should not have a problem with it or if they do at least have enough respect for you to listen to your side of the story as to why you like to hunt and find it rewarding. You probably wont change their minds but at least they should appreciate your point of view.

If these people are just "Facebook friends" then maybe it time to start hitting the block or delete button and focus on the people that really matter in your life. I am not saying it is the case but it amazes me somedays how worked up my wife gets over what some facebook "friend" of hers (usually someone she went to high school with 20 years ago, barely talked to then and hasn't since).

Not something to worry about, hold your head high and carry on, our hunting community could use more women. Enjoy your grouse!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 PM

I always wonder what these people think happen to animals if they aren't "murdered" by some evil hunter. Do they think there is a retirement home for animals? That, after a long full life, they die peacefully in their sleep surrounded by loved ones?

Personal I would rather die a quick death than what most carnivores do to their prey.

Also, http://tovarcerulli.com/ It is an interesting read.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I would encourage you to not take your video down. You should be proud of your hunting, I am going to assume that your grouse hunting was totally legal. Your real friends should not have a problem with it or if they do at least have enough respect for you to listen to your side of the story as to why you like to hunt and find it rewarding. You probably wont change their minds but at least they should appreciate your point of view.

If these people are just "Facebook friends" then maybe it time to start hitting the block or delete button and focus on the people that really matter in your life. I am not saying it is the case but it amazes me somedays how worked up my wife gets over what some facebook "friend" of hers (usually someone she went to high school with 20 years ago, barely talked to then and hasn't since).

Not something to worry about, hold your head high and carry on, our hunting community could use more women. Enjoy your grouse!
If I was the one who posted the video it would be a different story, because my circle of friends and family are always interested in my hunting stories. However, my boyfriend was the one who posted it and he's got a bunch of 'city folk' friends in his group, which is why the comments arose in the first place. I'm proud of my hunting, and he is too, which is why he refused to remove the video and defended me in the comments asking people to keep their negative comments to themselves, and if they don't like hunting then don't watch the video. He's not afraid to stand up to comments like that, I just like to avoid conflict when I can, and plus he gets a free grouse dinner out of it, haha.

Funny enough too, one of my good friends now used to be very anti-hunting when I met her, but after I gave her my point of view she has now actually accompanied me on a hunt and sees the benefits of wild meat.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Don't worry about opinions, they are like belly buttons, everyone has one now for the boyfriend, he is proud of you, you said it yourself and if your going to be in a relationship that's a good start, as for him not taking it down maybe this squabble is not worth it...if it is then kick the bum out! just kidding and welcome!
Haha! Thanks for the welcome and a good laugh! He's actually quite a sweetheart, he tried to delete the negative comments on the video before I had seen them so that I wouldn't get discouraged. He may not be a hunter himself, but he sure does have my back. (It might have a little something to do with the delicious wild game dinners I cook him, haha)
Old 09-15-2014, 05:13 PM

I always like how the antis judge those who hunt but many often eat meat and use animal products....and somehow because they didn't have a hand in the actual harvest they are ok with using the products.

That doesn't absolve them from being a consumer of animal products nor does it absolve them from supporting the harvest of animals.

Like they don't eat meat but they eat fish and eggs...or they don't eat red meat but they do eat poultry.

Yet they are the first to judge others who actually do have a hand in the harvest and KNOW where their meat comes from and how it got there...

The hypocrisy astounds me...

LC
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked780 View Post
Generally if it's face to face I love to hear arguments about farmed meat being killed in a more humane fashion as it makes me laugh. On social media like facebook my reaction is usually the same, delete and block, that goes for family, friends, mother, father, or whoever else felt the need to tell me how I live my life is wrong. Don't have the time to argue or hear about it.
I fully agree, which is why I didn't bother trying to start a debate. When people can hide behind the computer they're a completely different person and feel like they can say anything without it coming back to them. In person I can almost guarantee I would win that debate because I have a plethora of information to prove my point. I've turned quite a few people into pro-hunting.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 PM

I don't even try to reason with them.

I just tell them I love animals and birds- especially when they are next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Cat
Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't even try to reason with them.

I just tell them I love animals and birds- especially when they are next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Cat
Haha I once saw a shirt that said that once in Montana, I almost bought it!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Parallel Verses

New International Version
Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

this is what I will tell them

I am a Harvester and Proud too be one

I am a sensitive hunter and I am in tune with everything so when you pull a carrot out of the ground I hear its scream and when you walk on grass I hear the crushing of their bones and see the green blood stains on your shoes

when you breath I see the partials and organism you inhale that you kill with every breath

I realize that every thing that dies becomes food for another such is the Circle of Life

If you can stop killing everything you kill then you can get me to listen to your special interests until then please let me harvest my supper

Thank-you have great day

David
Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Last week I had a semi friendly debate with a "anti hunter", he wasn't ignorant just stated his views and how he never could commit the "crime." Guess where he's from it starts with a T and ends with a Onto.

The first thing I discovered was he loved meat, so obvieously I filled him in on the whole ranching process. He was also uninformed on that issue as well. He at first tried to call my bluff but a little patience and some google and he understood.

The I went in with the "3 ways of dying principle." I am a person of deep empathy and who was sad when I was young and made my first kill. But I received some great advice. There's really only 3 ways out of the game when you involve Mother Nature and wild game.

1. Predatory attack, which usually involves hours of harassment followed by slowly being eaten alive from the back end first.
2. Starvation, very slow and painful
3. Freezing to death once again slow and painful

Animals don't have an rrsp fund that they contribute to and then retire somewhere warm. Very rarely does any creature die peacefully from old age.

I explain that it is our duty to make sure that animal dies fast and with very little suffering. It sometimes doesn't work that way but we have to be respectful and diligent.

He actually came around and began to somewhat understand what I was saying.

In the end try to be professional and respectful. They might get aggressive but stay calm and explain yourself. They might continue to be annoying but they might consider what you said later on. It's kind of like arguing with your wife. Don't say things angry or to try and win the fight. Say things that they'll think about later when they've calmed down and are being more reasonable!
Very insightful, thank you. I definitely share the same empathy, and I was also very emotional when I took my first deer. Looking back at you with those big brown eyes as the life diminishes... the thought ran through my head 'maybe I can take it to a vet and they can save it!' haha.

I never want to see an animal suffer, that's not what hunting is about, and I think some people assume it's all for fun and the joy of killing. It also doesn't help that some people don't understand the term 'running around like a chicken with it's head cut off'. What they see in the video is me shooting a grouse in the head and the bird drops and flaps around for a while, they assume it's alive and suffering. They have no idea that the bird is almost immediately dead and it's just nerves twitching. I also have a habit of decapitating the bird after I've shot it, just in the off chance that I was a bad shot and it's in pain. A bit gross for some onlookers, but I feel better knowing that it's completely dead.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
I love to point out how clearing land to grow there vegetables is basicaly large scale genocide of many species.
I've never heard it put that way before. Very wise observation. So incredibly true even a vegan couldn't argue that.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroOokami View Post
I fully agree, which is why I didn't bother trying to start a debate. When people can hide behind the computer they're a completely different person and feel like they can say anything without it coming back to them. In person I can almost guarantee I would win that debate because I have a plethora of information to prove my point. I've turned quite a few people into pro-hunting.
Exactly, face to face their is no denying the facts. Keyboard warriors will carry on forever and not attempt to reason with any facts. Hunting is not for everyone but that does not make it wrong.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Instead of starting to fight with the antis just put up a picture of your "chicken" supper and see how many likes it gets from those same people. Then if you don't feel better about it all by then tell them what it is and thank them for changing there mind.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Moose stew while out camping at the lake this past summer.
Nom nom nom.

Give an anti hunter some of this and it's going to change their mind.
Soooo good.
Yes.

How do I handle it?
With welding gloves.
Who needs oven mitts???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.6 KB, 21 views)

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Moose stew while out camping at the lake this past summer.
Nom nom nom.

Give an anti hunter some of this and it's going to change their mind.
Soooo good.
Yes.

How do I handle it?
With welding gloves.
Who needs oven mitts???

Yep,i have a sister in law who is almost a vegetarian and HATES wild meat.
She sure ate the crap out of my elk meatballs when she assumed it was beef.lol
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Default Anti hunting

Anti hunting attitude is caused by " hunters" doing dumb stuff. Now I know everyone here will self rightly say not me.
I hunt and fish all my life, I live in the bush beside a lake and have 3 set of Canada geese raise young on my lawn. When someone wants to shoot what I enjoyed watching all summer, I can`t help getting protective. Remember getting a puppy and how it played, well watching a den of coyote pups play with a feather or something all summer, you get to know which one is bold and which one is shy, then someone wearing new equipment sneaks in trying to shoot a coyote just to leave it for the ravens. These are a few examples that happen year after year. Some hunters claim they need the fur, but they are driving a $50,000 truck burning $1.20 litre fuel to get $50 coyote. I think they just want to shoot anything. After seeing this for years no hunting signs go up and a anti-hunting attitude develops.