Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2022, 09:39 AM

Default Fishing lac la plonge Saskatchewan

Just booked cabins for a trip to Lac la plonge for a few days of fishing early next month. Never been there but going to give it a go. Right now the plan is to drag the kayaks/fishing gear and see how we do. May pop over into other near by lakes

Anyone have experience fishing this lake and any advice to add?

Any near by waters you recommend for other fishing options?

Personally I want to target pike but the wife wants to do some Laker fishing too
Old 06-09-2022, 02:42 PM

Fish it lots. Are you staying at anglers trail? If so it's a looooong kayak ride to any decent laker spots lol. The good laker fishing starts at the island in the main lake and goes east from there. There are plenty of snot rocket pike and the odd juvenile laker in the bay at anglers trail....but the good pike fishing is up on the north shore of the main lake. Tons of little pothole lake down the pinehouse road....Dan can send you in the right direction once you get to the lodge.
I'd also suggest heading back into Beauvall and dropping into the Beaver River....excellent walleye fishing not far from town.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:42 PM

If the wind picks up on La Plonge you can go to Little Amyott lake up the highway 15min and get your fill of little pike and some decent walleye.

The islands just outside of the narrows from Angler's Trail have some nice pike in there. For lake trout, the closest area will be out by the big island. You can jig them with bucktails or buzz bombs.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:12 PM

Yes I am booked at anglers trail

I have not gone over a map yet but I will be looking for areas I can drive to and launch the kayaks to help cover ground as well. The kayaks we are bringing are peddle drive and cover water pretty well too. Being a little crazy helps too lol

Thanks for the info so far
Old 06-09-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yes I am booked at anglers trail

I have not gone over a map yet but I will be looking for areas I can drive to and launch the kayaks to help cover ground as well. The kayaks we are bringing are peddle drive and cover water pretty well too. Being a little crazy helps too lol

Thanks for the info so far
If I remember right it's 12km from anglers trail to the big island....and really you don't need to go any further than that. Fish the north to east side of the island....there are a few distinct shelves and drops that always hold fish. We've had days where we are literally tired of catching fish by mid afternoon jigging in 40-80feet. The lake holds some decent size fish as well....we've had 1 38" 20lb fish and several 34-36" 15ish lb fish.

As far as I know the only other place to get on the water is at Sandy Beach on the north side....I've never been up there though from the road.

Like any large lake....la plonge gets real nasty in real hurry when the wind picks up and there are not a lot of places to seek shelter. There is also no cell service on 90% of the lake.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Fish it lots. Are you staying at anglers trail? If so it's a looooong kayak ride to any decent laker spots lol. The good laker fishing starts at the island in the main lake and goes east from there. There are plenty of snot rocket pike and the odd juvenile laker in the bay at anglers trail....but the good pike fishing is up on the north shore of the main lake. Tons of little pothole lake down the pinehouse road....Dan can send you in the right direction once you get to the lodge.
I'd also suggest heading back into Beauvall and dropping into the Beaver River....excellent walleye fishing not far from town.
Second the idea of trying Beaver River. Crazy how many are in there! Bring green & yellow hot n tots in the smaller size for Beaver.

We pulled some nice Lakers out of La plonge also. (Not with hot n tots)
Old 06-10-2022, 08:06 AM

always had good luck with silver spoons for lakers on La Plonge
Old 06-10-2022, 09:22 AM

After going over a map in looks like spots to access the lake are limited like mlee mentioned Sandy beach might be it

Oh well just part of the adventure figuring things out

The wife is interested in Lakers but in the end she just wants to catch fish and she has caught lots of them when we lived in northern BC. She really just wants to catch everything any size lol.

On that note have any of you targeted the whitefish, perch or burbot because she is now bugging me about them as well?

Myself I will be focusing on trying to catch some nice pike on a handful of prototype lures I am working on.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:28 AM

Lots of small burbot....we cats tons in the winter but never targeted them in the summer.
Also never targeted whites but again there are tons and tons....we mark them stacked up in the small bays.
Also never targeted perch but you'll see fry swimming around the docks at the lodge along with small Lakers....no walleye in the lake at all.