Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Default Kananaskis report

Hit upper lakes yesterday, water temps very cold still some snow on boat launch, water level very low , wouldent try launching boat yet as the cement graders are still a couple feet from the water , fished for a few hours and saw one bull trout only, lots of snow in the banks still , thinking a couple more weeks of Warner weather to get the fish moving.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Hit upper lakes yesterday, water temps very cold still some snow on boat launch, water level very low , wouldent try launching boat yet as the cement graders are still a couple feet from the water , fished for a few hours and saw one bull trout only, lots of snow in the banks still , thinking a couple more weeks of Warner weather to get the fish moving.

thank-you for the report.

Dace
Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 PM

My log book shows June 15th and later last year before there was much action there
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
My log book shows June 15th and later last year before there was much action there

Thats what i like to here. Will be there from the 27th -2nd
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post

similar here. keep in mind ice on both lakes came off a tad earlier this year. lower bowl especially.

Dace
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Thinking this rain might help it out a little bit this year, would check it out this weekend but doing the SWAT tournament.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 AM

I have a self appointed long weekend this weekend. Going to take in some camping at Lower Lake campground, and take the chance and tow the boat out. I would be a little cheezed if I could launch her and didn’t bring it.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Fished Wedge Pond on Saturday. We fished for about 2 hours with no rises/bites/fish so we gave up and headed back to the campground. We were using nymphs under strike indicators and dries. Couldn't get them to bite on anything. Didn't see any rises or signs of fish, nobody else caught anything either.

I think that pond might have winterkilled. It hasn't been stocked since 2009, anyone know why?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Fished Wedge Pond on Saturday. We fished for about 2 hours with no rises/bites/fish so we gave up and headed back to the campground. We were using nymphs under strike indicators and dries. Couldn't get them to bite on anything. Didn't see any rises or signs of fish, nobody else caught anything either.

I think that pond might have winterkilled. It hasn't been stocked since 2009, anyone know why?
it's not winterkilled. It's just slow, caught two from wedge two or three weeks ago.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM

I watched a couple of grayling cruise the shoreline a couple of weeks ago as well....they are there
Old 06-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post

Wedge Pond has never winterkilled. It is only stocked once every three to five years to maintain the fishery, since the Arctic grayling are not reproducing in this lake and can live for 10 or more years before dying of old age.

Wedge Pond was stocked with 14,000 Arctic grayling on May 31, 2012. However, I wouldn't rush out there to catch them just yet, since these fish were only 1-cm sac fry (see attached photo). Based on past growth rates, you won't likely start catching them until next year, when they should be about 15-20 cm long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grayling at stockout 2009.jpg (82.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-15-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstelfox View Post
Wedge Pond has never winterkilled. It is only stocked once every three to five years to maintain the fishery, since the Arctic grayling are not reproducing in this lake and can live for 10 or more years before dying of old age.

Wedge Pond was stocked with 14,000 Arctic grayling on May 31, 2012. However, I wouldn't rush out there to catch them just yet, since these fish were only 1-cm sac fry (see attached photo). Based on past growth rates, you won't likely start catching them until next year, when they should be about 15-20 cm long.
Thanks for the info. Might have just been an off day. Only reason I suspected winterkill is it SEEMED like it might be rather shallow. Glad im wrong!

'frenzy
Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstelfox View Post

Cool.