Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Default Mary Greg or Pierre Grays Lakes

Thinking of taking a 3-4 day trip over that way to fish these lakes. Anybody been out that way this year. If so how was the fishing?
Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner22a View Post
Thinking of taking a 3-4 day trip over that way to fish these lakes. Anybody been out that way this year. If so how was the fishing?
Thanks
Pierre Grey lakes campsite is really nice but the fish are small gets poached alot use to catch nice brookies out of brookie lake no more...............u know i always use to think that open water fisherman were bad but i tell u i have seen the damage that ice fisherman have done on the brookie population it is unreal............i am going to get flack for it but they should close every brookie lake from nov 1st to jan 1st to protect them some
Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Mary Gregg is quad access only.
No camping facilities to speak of.
Lots of camping around the area but Mary Gregg boarders onto a mine site.
Steep banks make shore fishing difficult buy you can on the far end of the lake.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Pierre Grey lakes campsite is really nice but the fish are small gets poached alot use to catch nice brookies out of brookie lake no more...............u know i always use to think that open water fisherman were bad but i tell u i have seen the damage that ice fisherman have done on the brookie population it is unreal............i am going to get flack for it but they should close every brookie lake from nov 1st to jan 1st to protect them some
I agree with you.

Those lakes are collapsed in my opinion. Given the amount of fishing pressure on the lakes you will soon see them become C&R.

It is a darn shame what has happened to them. It is a darn shame how the government lets things like this get out of control, and do nothing.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 PM

Pierre Grey's lake's are stocked with trout and the fishing is great for the kids. The river systems around Pierre Grey, eg. the Muskeg river is in rough shape due to poaching and was considered collapsed.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM

i have had some great fishing on the muskeg river just gota find the right spots
some of the biggest bull trout i have ever cought
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercub17 View Post
i have had some great fishing on the muskeg river just gota find the right spots
some of the biggest bull trout i have ever cought
I've managed to find a few nice holes on the upper muskeg over the years. Do you recognize this one? There was a time when you would get a bite almost every cast at this spot but rumor has it that this hole was netted one spring. We never caught a fish that day, to bad I would have liked my daughter to experience what I did when I was her age. A few years back we had a fish biologist come to our F&G club and he explained the situation with the upper Muskeg and that the bull trout population had collapsed.

Big Rock
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Question on Mary Gregg lake. I have walked in and fished from shore. I now have a 15 ft alum square back canoe and a buddy has a wood kayak he made from a kit. We both want to fish this lake with the boats. I remember a sign at the parking lot saying no atvs but the trail in is loaded with quad tracks. Can I use my dads argo to haul in both the canoe and kayak on the roof rack without getting in trouble with the F & W.? Should i call Hinton F&W to get the scoop?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Question on Mary Gregg lake. I have walked in and fished from shore. I now have a 15 ft alum square back canoe and a buddy has a wood kayak he made from a kit. We both want to fish this lake with the boats. I remember a sign at the parking lot saying no atvs but the trail in is loaded with quad tracks. Can I use my dads argo to haul in both the canoe and kayak on the roof rack without getting in trouble with the F & W.? Should i call Hinton F&W to get the scoop?
or call Forestry. Someone has probably flown over it by this time this morning.

Toll Free 310 000 Ask for the SRD office or Forestry, or give each a try.

Good Luck.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM

It's been a few years since I had a quad into Mary Gregg so if I was in your shoes I would talk to Moose and Goose in Hinton.
I think the mining company in the area is Teck Coal
Pretty sure the quad access signs are in reference to the Shinx creek trail head which is in the same parking area as Mary Gregg. That trail is horse or foot access ONLY.
But they change the access all the time. Closing some trails due to mining activity.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM

I didnt know there were two trails taking off from the same parking lot. When we decide to go I will call F&W in Hinton for the deal on quads. We can always pull them in by hand and with bike wheels at the back if we have too. Thanks for the info
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM

Well good luck pulling them in.
It's right around 2 km and several mud holes. From trail head to lake side.
We'll all be cheering you on from the sidelines

Post some pics when you get back. I'm interested to see how you make out.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
jrs

You can quad into Mary Gregg, trail redone few years ago. Its well marked. No quads allowed the other way (sphinx). Busy little lake, stockers were tiny this year. Its not far in, about 15 minutes on foot. Dont leave your boat overnight, there's been lots of vandals in the area. Remember your bear spray, there's been some grouchy ones in the area.

https://sites.google.com/site/hinton...ary-greg-trail