Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Default Gaining permission - positive thread.

There are always a ton of permission threads around hunting season. I just thought I would post some ideas for ways that new hunters can gain permission and build long lasting relationships with landowners.

I am lucky that I have more permission that I will be able to hunt in 15 years. I ask, I ask well before the season begins. I respect that when the landowners say "wait until we bring the cows home" or "we are having a family over this weekend so we would appreciate if you didn't hunt here this weekend" or "no". The point is, is that these landowners that are acting like "feudal lords" have the right to, they paid for it.

We usually let everyone who asks hunt on our land, unless we have kicked them off before for hunting with out permission or shooting at things that shouldn't be shot at. I actually don't hunt our land. I am there all the time and prefer to see different scenery.

Permission is easy to obtain but you have to put the time and effort in to get it. I actually enjoy dealing with landowners. Most guys that I have dealt with are good people who like having a chat. Here are some tips to those out looking for permission. Don't drive in to a field while they are combining and expect them to stop and give you permission, they are busy working. Same goes with cutting hay, seeding, etc. Don't go at supper time. I don't like being interupted while eating with my family. Don't forget you are taking up thier time either, find common ground, ask questions about thier farm or ranch. Basically let them know you aren't some donkey going to shoot up the grain bins. A few guys that have come to our place(even to shoot gophers) bring along business type cards with thier information on them. I thought that was a great idea.

To the landowners. Allowing permission to people is a great way to have eyes on your land while you are busy. I have had a couple calls about people trying to hunt the same place as guys with permission. We take care of the people who actually ask permission. You never know, that hunter might get a nice deer on your land and bring you some saucage or something. Even if they don't who cares, they are trying to keep up a Canadian way of life and hopefully pass that on to thier children. That being said I have had a few guys say that I can hunt coyotes and gophers on thier place but not "thier" deer. I just don't hunt anything there.

There are huge wins on both sides for just being straight up good people on both sides!

Joe
Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Good post. So far I've gotten permission by plain old door knocking (at reasonable times) or introduction by friends. I have been planning on doing something similar to one of those business cards, just a computer printout of a 'hunter introduction'. I'll put on my name and maybe a photo (some people are more visual in their memory), phone #'s, a vehicular description/plate #/photo, a reference phone number or two of landowners who know me, etc. My feeling is that landowners will feel that by not being so anonymous, you will likely be more accountable and responsible in your behaviour on their land. I know who they are and where they live, why shouldn't they know who I am?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Gone Hunting

I like to be sure they know what a 'swath' is.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I like to be sure they know what a 'swath' is.
X2 too funny. the truth is said in jest.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM

My tip is become friends with your landowners year round. Become a steward over their lands and make sure you are also there to help the landowner with anything if need be... all year long.