Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Why not just alternate the seasons? Rifle draw starts sept 1 every other year. Archery open season starts sept 1 every other year.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Just throwing this out there but why not a draw where you can only apply for one or the other...archery or rifle? It would sure make archery tags a lot easier to come by. When you look at the wait times for archery antelope tags, it's going to be a lot of years between tags for mule deer archers as a vast majority of hunters will put in for both if they can. I know I'd rather they did it that way. What's everyone else think?
X2. Totally agree. I wish they would do this with Antelope as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
And here I thought it was such a simple question......
No. Not to me.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Potty, to me your are completely twisting this around to suit your needs. Sorry bud, but that is how I feel. This is about conservation of the herds and it is damn well time the bow hunting crowd accepts that they are a part of it.

Wildlife management must look at everything: Rifle hunting, bow hunting, guide allocations, land owner tags, etc. The way you are talking is that the bow hunters should be left out of this even though the numbers suggest that the 15% harvest is being exceeded in many wmus. You may dispute the numbers but go argue that to the powers that be. Trying to twist this and say it is bad for all hunters is absurd. Doesn't bother me a bit. It just makes me think that SRD is doing a good job keeping the system more fair for hunters of all choice of seasons and weapons.

Here is some literature I got right off the ABA website that outlines the subject at hand just like Sheephunter nicely summarized for us a few post back.

http://www.bowhunters.ca/files/Downl...0on%20Draw.doc

And Justin, while I agree with you that many other factors such as landowner tags should be looked at too; this takes nothing away from the fact that the bow harvest must be considered in a wildlife management plan and may require a draw if the harvest is in fact beyond the threshold.

The bow zone only is another red herring argument you guys are using. Go hunt there with your bows by all means, but if the bow harvest is too great to sustain the herd then it must be managed with draws...period.

Sorry, I see a real lack of acceptance of wildlife management by some on here. They want to argue that it shouldn't be splitting hunters that choose different seasons and weapons but they want their cake and eat it too.
Axe, I just want full disclosure. I'm not talking like bow hunters should be exempt. But when a company is failing you don't start blaming the janitor, and that's how I feel, and all i'm trying to say. A company runs from the top down, not the other way!

If we weren't managing people and actually caring about the conservations and strengthening of the herds, there mandate would be different. They would be aggressively attacking the other issues discussed in this thread. But then they would have to admit to numerous mistakes made in recent years.(which I could re list some of them, if you want)

What happens when the janitor gets fired, and the company still has issues, who's next on the chopping block? don't look today, start looking down the pipe. What if this plan fails, like the ones that got us here??? Bow hunters may lose this battle, but someone is lined up behind.

SH, honesty, you know as well as I do, that any stats, can be manipulted and desgined to favour the statician, especially in sample surveys!!.. I got A's throughout University in stats

Last edited by pottymouth; 10-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Axe, I just want full disclosure. I'm not talking like bow hunters should be exempt. But when a company is failing you don't start blaming the janitor, and that's how I feel, and all i'm trying to say. A company runs from the top down, not the other way!

If we weren't managing people and actually caring about the conservations and strengthening of the herds, there mandate would be different. They would be aggressively attacking the other issues discussed in this thread. But then they would have to admit to numerous mistakes made in recent years.(which I could re list some of them, if you want)

What happens when the janitor gets fired, and the company still has issues, who's next on the chopping block? don't look today, start looking down the pipe. What if this plan fails, like the ones that got us here??? Bow hunters may lose this battle, but someone is lined up behind.
You are rite potty. But on the other hand if people didnot think the way most do we would not be in this mess. I am referring to oh it is not bad for a bow kill mentality. But that is not the case at all and more immature deer get killed every year that would never get shot if next year they could not hunt. How about we go with a system like sheep on archery muledeer excluding the bowzones as I have stated that a draw or anything won't work there.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
SH, honesty, you know as well as I do, that any stats, can be manipulted and desgined to favour the statician, especially in sample surveys!!.. I got A's throughout University in stats
Must have been as easier class than I took.

What have the stats you've seen from SRD shown that were statistically inaccurate?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks Potty, that helps me understand your position better. I agree with much of it as well. Disclosure and accurate numbers are key, I think we all agree on that.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
They aren't managing wildlife in this instance...they are managing hunters.....that's the point I've been trying to make all along. I'd say stats to support managing hunters are pretty easy to come by....managing game not so much. Be mad at SRD all you want...but be mad for the right reasons.

I guarantee anyone with a semester of statistics under their belt does.

LMAO...that could be the funniest thing I've ever read on AO messageboard. I suspect some of the powers that be in SRD would have a very different opinion...OMG....that was hilarious
oh yeah because you are always questioning them on AO, articles and your tv show they must hate you

I do remember the episode where you shot how many mulie does???
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Must have been as easier class than I took.

What have the stats you've seen from SRD shown that were statistically inaccurate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Thanks Potty, that helps me understand your position better. I agree with much of it as well. Disclosure and accurate numbers are key, I think we all agree on that.
Well some of us do well with numbers, others with letters. I'm sure it was easier way back in the day

I've seen nothing with numbers, just letters, that my issue SH.

Regardless if your for or against the issue, We need full disclosure before we can make educated opinions and decisions.We shouldn't just accept things, just cause someone said to, we have right to ask questions. All the info should be privilaged to all, not just the privilaged.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well some of us do well with numbers, others with letters. I'm sure it was easier way back in the day

Regardless if your for or against the issue, We need full disclosure before we can make educated opinions and decisions.We shouldn't just accept things, just cause someone said to, we have right to ask questions. All the info should be privilaged to all, not just the privilaged.
But that is how they role. Hell they are still hiding info from WB he asked for a year and a half ago. I almost think this is just another ploy to get one step closer to paid hunting.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
oh yeah because you are always questioning them on AO, articles and your tv show they must hate you

I do remember the episode where you shot how many mulie does???
LMAO...stop, you are killing me. You should likely go back and read the past couple year's of my AO columns and you'll see why this is so funny. Although SRD did order a bunch of 8X10 photos of me recently...they said the annual dart tournament wasn't the same without them:sHa_shakeshou t:

Seriously mule, I call a spade a spade. I've offered some kudos to SRD over the years, especially the hard working staff in the field but I've certainly never been shy about bringing information to the public that was less than flattering to SRD when warranted. Perhaps you remember the time they screwed up the draw priorities, or the recent bighorn issues or perhaps the walleye tag fiasco or some of the fisheries management disasters or the shortfalls in the Wildlife Act to name a few. SRD does some great work and when they get it right, I'll gladly sing their praises but when they get it wrong, I'll be the first one to point that out as well. Unbiased reporting, I know it scares some people.

I shot three mule deer does in that episode. It was a fun trip. Thanks for watching!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

What have they said when you asked to see it?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
What have they said when you asked to see it?
they got some stuff they can send to me, but I'm still waiting....maybe I need to sign a different name at the bottom...lol

But i'd gladly read anything you have also been given, if you want to pass it along.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
they got some stuff they can send to me, but I'm still waiting....maybe I need to sign a different name at the bottom...lol

But i'd gladly read anything you have also been given, if you want to pass it along.
Who said they were going to send it to you? Perhaps I can help you out with a couple contacts. It's nice to see you getting involved. I know in the past you've indicated you were too busy.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Post the names on the thread? I'd like to be able to contact the right people in regards to this matter.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledeerking View Post
You are rite potty. But on the other hand if people didnot think the way most do we would not be in this mess. I am referring to oh it is not bad for a bow kill mentality. But that is not the case at all and more immature deer get killed every year that would never get shot if next year they could not hunt. How about we go with a system like sheep on archery muledeer excluding the bowzones as I have stated that a draw or anything won't work there.
Exactly...once you kill a buck you must take a year off hunting them...it is a great solution IF there is indeed gross overharvest by bowhunters...the inexperienced can hunt until they kill and the experienced will make more effort to kill a mature deer...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM

just found out some information about bow hunting / draws in saskatchewan. If you have an archery mule deer license you cannot have a draw for a mule deer.
Archery tag is not valid in any zone that has less than 50 draw tag available. Interesting concepts.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 PM

another interesting fact from sask regs. whitetail and blackbear are only animals that a non-resident can hunt. every other species is sask resident only.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 PM

Also they gave 4000 tags to our 10000.but had about same ratio applications to tags as alberta,I would like to know what their deer numbers are compared to ours.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggo View Post
Also they gave 4000 tags to our 10000.but had about same ratio applications to tags as alberta,I would like to know what their deer numbers are compared to ours.
More,bigger and bader deer then we do. Why do you think they have written the record books?? Muledeer need protection from rifle hunters. Hell the old 3 point days prove that. Also they have zero landowner tags and nr tags. Pretty simple. More and bigger deer.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
More,bigger and bader deer then we do. Why do you think they have written the record books?? Muledeer need protection from rifle hunters. Hell the old 3 point days prove that. Also they have zero landowner tags and nr tags. Pretty simple. More and bigger deer.
Don't forget they also have more habitat for the deer....less resident population doesn't hurt either....also like you mentioned no non-residents can hunt the mule deer.

LC
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Numbers? Not opinions
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM

Muledeerking. I think you should move to saskatchewan so you can hunt all those mule deer with your BOW
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Numbers? Not opinions
Here are some numbers.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8vUTm64h0

LC
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Muledeerking. I think you should move to saskatchewan so you can hunt all those mule deer with your BOW
Already would have if the wife would move back there. I have seen deer like no other in that province.

Alsothey ain't trying to change things like here an know how to manage animals not hunters. Now they just need to get rid of gamefarms and they truley would be kings.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Here are some numbers.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8vUTm64h0

LC
That is definitely some numbers. Lmao. Eggo if you want different numbers ask sheep and potty as the are stats men.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

Hopefully this doesn't go through. Many opportunities lost for many hunters. What about the guys that are strictly bowhunters and what about the bow shops, as they will also suffer significantly for absolutely no reason?

BOWHUNTERS DO NOT KILL A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF DEER. IF IT'S SO EASY THEN WHY ISN'T EVERYONE DOING IT?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
Hopefully this doesn't go through. Many opportunities lost for many hunters. What about the guys that are strictly bowhunters and what about the bow shops, as they will also suffer significantly for absolutely no reason?

BOWHUNTERS DO NOT KILL A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF DEER. IF IT'S SO EASY THEN WHY ISN'T EVERYONE DOING IT?
Grossly misinformed bud. I challenge you to find the stats on bow vs rifle hunters for anywhere other than alberta and sask. Youll soon learn its not the elite 'underground' society you seem to think it is. Id argue more guys bow hunt than rifle hunt in the eastern provinces.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Grossly misinformed bud. I challenge you to find the stats on bow vs rifle hunters for anywhere other than alberta and sask. Youll soon learn its not the elite 'underground' society you seem to think it is. Id argue more guys bow hunt than rifle hunt in the eastern provinces.
Eastern provinces , meaning ...?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

In many years of bowhunting I could honestly count on one hand how many bowhunters I have seen in total. Maybe I am misinformed but there are virtually none where I hunt? Maybe it's different elsewhere but I really can't see it. In this day and age of couch potatoes and obesity I really can't see it. It's hard work for the most part and most guys either can't or simply won't do it and that's precisely why I like it........and now the government wants to take it away from me.