Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2020, 08:34 PM

Default Smitty Sled

After almost killing myself today out in Kananaskis dragging a heavy ass sled through the snow, a quick google search introduced me to the Smitty sled. On hardpacked snow, my sled was gliding okay but in any depths of snow the sled was sinking, and despite only sinking a few inches was killer and very difficult to drag. The more I look into the Smitty sled (sled raised on snow skis) the more I like the idea. Any reviews or opinions on such a design before I give it a go? Any advice on building one (ski choices, sled height, pushing vs pulling sled, etc) How does it work in deeper snow? Can barley walk after dragging that stupid heavy thing today, i need a change!

Thanks
Old 12-27-2020, 09:55 PM

If you do a search here you'll find a couple of previous threads on them. Wider skis work best and when you are finished building it do a proper wax job on the skis, it makes it soo much easier to pull.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:04 PM

It saved our lives today hauling an Otter Magnum sled into a remote lake (probably similar to your own adventure). It makes a HUGE difference when you are pulling the sled by hand. On hard pack snow or ice, you can pull it with a couple of fingers. It will let you go places you simply wouldn't make it through even with a little jet sled.

Don't use smaller than 2X10's for the uprights...the idea is to get the sled up out of the snow so it's not plowing. Use downhill skis rather than cross country skis as the added surface area works much better by all accounts. You're going to want to mount your rope to the front of the Smitty sled as you'll always be pulling it, except up the steepest slopes that no single person can pull it up regardless. My son was pulling ours while I pushed it for the first couple hundred yards up a steep winding trapline this afternoon. Once we got out of the trees to a more moderate incline, he went back to pulling it by himself while I tried to decide whether I was having a heart attack or not. We went through that trapline 40-50' at a time for 45 minutes. Yes that's an Otter Lodge hub I'm packing on my back for good measure. Cross-training HIIT millennials...

One other tip, put eye bolts on the front and back uprights so you can cross-strap the sled onto the smitty sled. If you pull it on steep hills, the sled will want to come off the Smitty if it's not attached properly. Shoot me a PM if you want some pictures or to discuss further. I've used one for the same terrain you're intending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz.jpg (34.4 KB, 274 views)
Old 12-27-2020, 10:18 PM

That was my exact experience a week ago, thought the old ticker was going to burst. Scott let me use his last year, worked great he gave me some old X -Country ski's, watched a few YouTube examples went to lumber yard got some hardware & they had cut off's got 2x12" trimmed them down to 10" risers. Just finished mine today, going out tomorrow to try it out.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:18 AM

Built one several years ago and use it every year. Only time I dont is if it is bare ice. Makes pulling real easy. Everyone should have one. For some great ideas on them go to the ice shanty forums. Hundreds of people built them and have pics to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WINCHESTER View Post
After almost killing myself today out in Kananaskis dragging a heavy ass sled through the snow, a quick google search introduced me to the Smitty sled. On hardpacked snow, my sled was gliding okay but in any depths of snow the sled was sinking, and despite only sinking a few inches was killer and very difficult to drag. The more I look into the Smitty sled (sled raised on snow skis) the more I like the idea. Any reviews or opinions on such a design before I give it a go? Any advice on building one (ski choices, sled height, pushing vs pulling sled, etc) How does it work in deeper snow? Can barley walk after dragging that stupid heavy thing today, i need a change!

Thanks
Old 12-28-2020, 07:44 AM

Here's one I built, great in deeper snow. I use it to pull the flip up , the skis are attached with wingnuts to the frame to remove skis for transport.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
Here's one I built, great in deeper snow. I use it to pull the flip up , the skis are attached with wingnuts to the frame to remove skis for transport.

like this idea better, leaves you with options.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2020, 09:41 AM

Aluminum frame all the way.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:37 AM

Default Kananaskis - same experience on Boxing Day

Hey Winchester,

I had the exact same experience on Boxing Day, it was brutal. It also led me to discover the Smitty Sled and I’m going to start building this week. I plan to make it look like Zip’s. I’d prefer aluminum but going with wood for now.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the responses! I’m now looking into skis to use. Is there an advantage to using say wider powder skis over your average downhill skis? I can see powder skis floating the sled better in deep snow, but are also more material so heavier and also more friction. Is it worthwhile or just grab some normal carving downhill skis?
Old 12-28-2020, 09:24 PM

Everything I read indicated wider is better. Still, there are lots of times on fresh snow where the skis will ride below the snow on the ice and the sled will stick up above the snow, reducing drag and making it easier to pull. I say just use the downhill skis you have or the cheapest ones you can find on kijiji.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:27 PM

Went out today for a trial run of my Zip-Sled .... she was loaded with all my gear & it was still a struggle to pull it. Going to have to shed some gear/weight. As well, looking for a 190 cm set of downhill skis I believe the X-Country skis are a bit to narrow and dig in, also had trouble on my return trip trying to stay in the same ski tracks. Wider is not always better or PPl would be using old water ski's, hopefully the parabolic style downhill skis will be better.

Work in progress ....

D

Old 12-28-2020, 10:44 PM

I just completed building my Smitty Sled over the weekend. Bought an almost brand new set of Fisher downhill skis at the local Value Village for $25. Hardware store supplies (lumber, screws, eye & carriage bolts and nyloc nuts) amounted to $30.
My Smitty Sled design is very similar to Zip-In-Z's, I used 2" x 10's to account for the skis settling in the snow and to provide a bit more wiggle room for the sled above the snow. I like how Zip-In-Z used the entire width of the ski for the uprights, by adding a piece of plywood to each support piece. Thinking I may have to incorporate that design feature into my sled.
I mounted the eye bolts to the underside of the skis tips vs. a top mount. This installation method is supposed to assist with the ski tips riding up on the snow when hauling the sled. For strapping down the Jet sled, I installed the eyebolts on the uprights to be inline with the skis as opposed to the outside, to prevent shin bangers. I'm also going to be adding some friction tape on top of the 2" x 4"s for extra grip.
The only other modification I made was to the 2" x 4" horizontal members. I made mine with extra holes for the carriage bolts and wider than the actual Jet sled, so that I can have a 12" cantilever sitting out one side of the Smitty Sled for strapping on my pop up, thereby freeing up more space inside the Jet sled. The other benefit of this design is that I can flip the Smitty Sled upside down in the bed of my truck without taking it apart and the Jet Sled will slide right in between the uprights during transport.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:12 AM

Here is another tip for you guys starting out. Try putting a push handle on it and push the sled instead of pulling. It is much easier especially with those full loads like many of us take out. The only time I ever pull now is on straight ice and even that I clip on the handle most of the time. I joke with people....when is the last time you pulled the grocery cart around the store. Never as we always push. So much easier for us old guys. Try it before redesigning your sleds as it would be my first mod. Your designs look pretty good actually. I will see if I can dig up a pic of mine and post it. https://i.postimg.cc/kg1hnc4g/20151222-100739.jpg

Last edited by calgarygringo; 12-29-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:10 PM

Modified mine today after the last trip.

Being several years old it gets quite a bit of use early ice. Over time the setup/teardown between trips has worn the holes in the risers for the carriage bolts that hold the cross members in place. The result is a loose fit that when weighted with the sled causes the base to "spread" and keep the skis from sitting flat on the snow/ice (aka harder to pull).

Redneck resolution today with some 1x4 cut to fit the risers and attached to the ends of the cross members. Works like a charm! Skis sit flat regardless of weight.

Come on Friday!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2020, 02:50 PM

Anyone try this with UHMW Polyethylene Runners?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-30-2020, 08:16 PM

Spent the last 2 days making saw dust & modifying my Zip Sled, swapped out the CC skies for wider Downhill skis, reduced the weight of the sled by modifying the risers & connecting struts, had some 3/8" plywood, built a Flat Deck top & picked up some 1" electrical conduit and garage engineered a rear push bar. Applied some ski wax now my sled can put out over 100+ HP with me pullin & Scott pushin. Going fishin tomorrow will field test it and take some pic's ... stay tuned.

D.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Spent the last 2 days making saw dust & modifying my Zip Sled, swapped out the CC skies for wider Downhill skis, reduced the weight of the sled by modifying the risers & connecting struts, had some 3/8" plywood, built a Flat Deck top & picked up some 1" electrical conduit and garage engineered a rear push bar. Applied some ski wax now my sled can put out over 100+ HP with me pullin & Scott pushin. Going fishin tomorrow will field test it and take some pic's ... stay tuned.

D.

New & Improved Zip Sled … it’s a success was it easy to push to my spot & to celebrate I C&R my limit of Whites before lunch .... great day.

Cheers

D.

Second Hand Value Village D-Hill Ski’s

Fish Scale says it’s 22 lbs

Can be Pulled or Pushed with Optional Push Bar

1” electrical conduit

Easily Removable

Built a Light Weight Flat Deck Hauler

My Pelican Snow Trek 60 fits but it’s weighs 40+ lbs

Put the hooks down easier pulling

Used ski wax applied it with Heat Gun does it ever make a Difference

Went out today it’s effortless to push

Even brought my Propane Stove to Cook Soup for Lunch

Edit: I should add it was much easier going home pushing the sled I was able to stay in the same ski tracks. That wasn't the case the other day when I was pulling my fully loaded Pelican. Many Tks C-Gringo for the suggestion, it's easier to push my sled than my Golf Cart.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-31-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the information.
I built one that has a third ski in the middle.
The ski in the middle has a shorter riser so it is is closer to the sled than the other two.
The middle ski only provides flotation on deeper snow when the other two skis sink.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:34 PM

Thanks for that. I saw the push idea on the ice shanty forums. There are a ton of neat ideas there for tricking out sleds. I thought the push the sled made a ton of sense when I read it. If you get hung up you still may need to pull so keep the pull cord handy just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

New & Improved Zip Sled … it’s a success was it easy to push to my spot & to celebrate I C&R my limit of Whites before lunch .... great day.

Cheers

D.

Second Hand Value Village D-Hill Ski’s

Fish Scale says it’s 22 lbs

Can be Pulled or Pushed with Optional Push Bar

1” electrical conduit

Easily Removable

Built a Light Weight Flat Deck Hauler

My Pelican Snow Trek 60 fits but it’s weighs 40+ lbs

Put the hooks down easier pulling

Used ski wax applied it with Heat Gun does it ever make a Difference

Went out today it’s effortless to push

Even brought my Propane Stove to Cook Soup for Lunch

Edit: I should add it was much easier going home pushing the sled I was able to stay in the same ski tracks. That wasn't the case the other day when I was pulling my fully loaded Pelican. Many Tks C-Gringo for the suggestion, it's easier to push my sled than my Golf Cart.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 PM

Well after seeing this thread I guess I have to start shopping around for some old skis.

Great thread!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:47 PM

Some awesome tips tricks and builds guys!! Thanks for all the help! On the search for some skis I and the build is on! Keep updating on your successes love haring the good progress and development of these things
Old 01-03-2021, 01:56 PM

270W .... only in Manitoba.

D.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:22 PM

That is a nice build Zip! How much easier do you think pushing vs pulling is?

Im surprised you had trouble getting around with the pelican tub on top, Ive routinely loaded my smitty sled up with 200 lbs of gear and I've hardly ever thought to myself that I should pack lighter, its just so easy to pull. I hope that tuck tape from the first set of skis wasnt on the bottom of the ski!

If you've done some google-ing of smitty sleds you have likely come across mine: https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/the-smitty-sled/

Calgary Gringo - I like your analogy but I have tried pushing a shopping cart through snow and its not a good time! Regardless, Im curious now. Guess I will have to build a push bar and see whats better!

Old 01-03-2021, 05:43 PM

String.....it is not at all like pushing the cart with wheels in the snow. It glides along nicely. One of the best things I have done in my old age. Think about it that sliding does not change a bit of the sled, your body weight naturally pushes on it when you lean fwd and as well I find when I push the front comes up very slightly which also helps in the snow. I load my sled right up and have a hard time pulling far with my wrecked body but with a push I can go a long ways before stopping for a breath break. On mine I had an old push shovel handle i saved for some stupid reason and it paid off. I am sure what Zip did would work great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
That is a nice build Zip! How much easier do you think pushing vs pulling is?

Im surprised you had trouble getting around with the pelican tub on top, Ive routinely loaded my smitty sled up with 200 lbs of gear and I've hardly ever thought to myself that I should pack lighter, its just so easy to pull. I hope that tuck tape from the first set of skis wasnt on the bottom of the ski!

If you've done some google-ing of smitty sleds you have likely come across mine: https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/the-smitty-sled/

Calgary Gringo - I like your analogy but I have tried pushing a shopping cart through snow and its not a good time! Regardless, Im curious now. Guess I will have to build a push bar and see whats better!

Old 01-06-2021, 02:35 PM

Got my sled built today and off to try it tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7998.jpg (64.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7997.jpg (56.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-09-2021, 01:22 PM

I’ve been peaking at this thread for a bit and picked up a $10 set of ski’s yesterday. Heres what I built this morning with some scrap wood. Hopefully I’ll get to try it out tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2021, 09:35 AM

How did you attach the ski to the woo?
Old 01-10-2021, 09:37 AM

How did you attach the ski to the wood?
Old 01-10-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klow View Post
How did you attach the ski to the wood?

I just pre drilled holes and countersunk the screws from the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk