Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 10:02 AM

Default Line test or Walleye

Hi everybody

I was wondering what test (lb) people are using or walleye when fishing through the ice?

I was fishing yesterday and the pike kept breaking my walleye rigs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:23 AM

10 # is lots. Jack are breaking your line? Probably cutting your leaderless line and not breaking your line.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:27 AM

caught both my 14 pounders on 80 pound test braid. but Im not normal in any respect

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-17-2024, 12:38 PM

I like using 6-8 pound test for eyes but it’s flirting with disaster if the pike come around. Lol. If I’m outside I’m using monofilament line cause ice build up is minimal and easy to get off line. In a tent I’m Probly goin to run braid with a 3 foot floro leader. Suffix or power pro are some common braid guys like using for eyes.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:29 PM

I second braid and a fluorocarbon leader.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
I second braid and a fluorocarbon leader.
X3. I use 15# for both line
Old 02-17-2024, 03:32 PM

I run 10lb Power Pro Super Slick on all my rods. For walleye and pike I just run braid straight to a snap swivel attached to the hook.

For trout I put a small barrel swivel on and 3ft of 6lb mono tied directly to the hook eye.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I run 10lb Power Pro Super Slick on all my rods. For walleye and pike I just run braid straight to a snap swivel attached to the hook.

For trout I put a small barrel swivel on and 3ft of 6lb mono tied directly to the hook eye.
Minutes after posting this I had a 20lb pike bite my 10lb braid off haha. Dammit. Wasn’t fishing for hens.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:56 AM

I typically just use 6lb Mono if I'm targeting walleye through the ice. Given that you will very rarely have much over 30' of line out, and a very short rod, IMO mono's superior abrasion resistance is of more value than braid's lack of stretch.

If pike are likely I will go up to 10lb Mono, and add a snap swivel or use a long shanked hook. While I do get cut off occasionally, just a little more hardware at the buisness end will often make all the difference.

YMMV.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:19 PM

I usually use 8 pound mono or floro leader on braided line suffix 832 which does really nice for not letting ice build up. I can’t really notice a difference in what the walleye like and what they don’t.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I like using 6-8 pound test for eyes but it’s flirting with disaster if the pike come around. Lol. If I’m outside I’m using monofilament line cause ice build up is minimal and easy to get off line. In a tent I’m Probly goin to run braid with a 3 foot floro leader. Suffix or power pro are some common braid guys like using for eyes.
This is the general consensus on what to run for walleye. You could bump up to 10-12lb if you are really having problems with pike. Fluorocarbon is considerably more abrasion resistant than mono supposedly.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:26 AM

Thanks everybody.

I am using braid. What lbs of florocarbon would you use?
Old 02-19-2024, 03:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well since 20lbs braid is 6-8lbs mono diameter depending on brand and 20 lbs floro is invisible that what I run be it smalls or bigs….20/20….no break offs on the ice and just in case I am prepared for whatever bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2024, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Thanks everybody.

I am using braid. What lbs of florocarbon would you use?
6lb normally because walleye can be line shy, and you can catch 10lbs plus fish on it easily if you have a decent reel and a clue. 8lbs if I was really concerned about pike...this is where you are probably at now. 10lb if I knew I was going to have to wade through pike. Honestly though using 10lb for rainbows and walleye just makes me feel dirty. I believe the fish should have a chance if I do something dumb or they do something really smart. It's called sport fishing after all.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:41 AM

I have been using 10lbs Fluorocarbon on baitcasters with a good drag system, no loss with pike and we have been catching 6 to 10 pounders. Same setup we are catching walleye and white fish which are fussy. Only time I use braid is in the summer when the pike are aggressive. Dogfish
Old 03-01-2024, 03:44 PM

I Normally use 8# braid with 1-3 feet of 8# flouro leader material.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:21 PM

I always fished 6lb mono for everything in Alberta. There isn’t a walleye on earth that can’t be handled with that line. If pike are biting you off that’s another problem but bumping up to 8-10lb mono won’t fix it.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I always fished 6lb mono for everything in Alberta. There isn’t a walleye on earth that can’t be handled with that line. If pike are biting you off that’s another problem but bumping up to 8-10lb mono won’t fix it.
This is actually a really good point. Although that I prefer to use braid with a floro leader when I used 6 or 8 pound mono the line never snapped one time unless I tied off a poor knot or the fish went crazy at the bottom of the hole and the sharp ice snapped it off.

I think the majority of people myself included use a heavier pound test line then what is really required.