Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Honda Strikemaster auger

anyone seriously looking at getting one of these augers?

Lots to like about this auger:
4 stroke, no gas mixing
23 pounds total weight
Honda made motor

Im a little concerned about the polymer gears but im sure Honda wouldn't put out gears that would wear out prematurely and tarnish their rep.

My biggest concern is the 4 stoke motor that is only 35cc.
Wouldn't a 4 stoke motor only have about 1/2 the power of a two stroke because of the one power stroke in 4 cycles vs 1 power stroke in 2 cycles of a 2 stroke?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM

It's all about torque not rpm

Weather it is the honda or another 4 stroke it is all about torque and not having to mix gas.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM

Torque is a big part of the equation, but I look at the force required for a hand auger.

You need torque at the start but if you turn that auger fast enough (rpm) , you need less and less torque.
Also if you put less angle on the blades, you can shave less ice but go down just as quick with higher rpm's.

A quick google and it seems a 35cc motor will produce about 1.3hp. It also looks like a 4 stroke will have 30% less power than a 2 stroke. So, using those numbers, the Honda strikemaster is a 0.9hp motor. Maybe that is why strikemaster isn't advertising the horsepower stats.

Might be great on 1 foot of ice but doing that 4 feet of rotten ice in april might be a little too much for this auger.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 PM

I bought a 4 stroke SM last year.
Not a single problem to drill holes, performs well, runs quiet and is easy starting.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 AM
pelada trochu

Saw that unit at ct. Considered it but dont want gas in the car so went electric. Now the gears are hardened and the case is plastic. So. Looked like The case and handles are one piece. Also gear ratio moves speed down to useable range. She is just going to sing pretty high.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 PM

The Honda strike master augers are a Canadian tire exclusive for this year anyways asked around and no body can get them because CT got all of them
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 AM

I picked one up on sale yesterday. Hopefully, I will get to test it out soon.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 PM

I broke down and bought one of these from C.tire.
Bit of my summary on it after taking it out a few times.

Pros
-Nice and light.
- 4 stroke so straight gas in tank
-Honda motor is their new GX35 motor which is standard now for small size motors so parts will be available for a long time
http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx35
-starts easily and a child can pull the recoil
-Exhaust is just hot air (ie no fumes or oil smell). This is really unbelievable as you can drill in a tent and it wouldnt bother you.
-no vent gas cap so the auger never leaks oil or gas. you can store it inside your truck
-super quiet idling
-Starts and runs great in -25 weather

Cons

-Price
-Strikemaster parts are mostly cheap plastic (ie handles)
-Strikemaster Throttle lever works but i wouldnt trust it for too long
-The angled blades cut fast but because its only 1.3hp it does bind up at the bottom of the hole

Thats about it. I'm happy with it and sure it will be great for 10-15 years.
I do think the $599 price is too high but think for $459 this auger would be the best seller and well worth it at that price.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM
pelada trochu

Does it vibrate in your hands at all. My ion is smooth. Just like drilling through wood with a cordless

Glad you like it.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Banned

Default honda augers

sorry guys a little confused hear. has honda moters replaced the solo moters on strikemasters?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Got one about 4 weeks ago and love it. takes about 5 mins to warm up after starting and then no problems. I would recommend it. My old jiffy was good but too many sputters and poor idling, tough to get going so on and so forth. the only downfall i can see with the Strikemaster is the plastic handles not a fan as they seem to flex when drilling but no problems yet probably 50 holes done.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
Does it vibrate in your hands at all. My ion is smooth. Just like drilling through wood with a cordless
Doesnt vibrate at all. Its got some heavy torque with the angled auger blades. I did have an electric before just hated being limited to certain amount of holes.

Quote:
has honda moters replaced the solo moters on strikemasters?
I think strikemaster is using honda, solo and robin motors to replace the tecumseh. all at different price points i believe.

Quote:
takes about 5 mins to warm up after starting and then no problems
yep, thats what i do as well. I built a little wooden stand for my sled that my powerhead sits in. when i get to my spot, i start up the engine and let it idle as i shovel out the spot and get set up. After a couple minutes she is ready to drill holes.
Quote:
the only downfall i can see with the Strikemaster is the plastic handles
Agreed on that as well. I wish they would have used the metal handlebar and throttle grip like the normark husky augers.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Map Maker;1778941]I broke down and bought one of these from C.tire.
-Exhaust is just hot air (ie no fumes or oil smell). This is really unbelievable as you can drill in a tent and it wouldnt bother you.

LOL , makes me wonder why my neck gets sore, somewheres between here and why people drive on ice where water is moving, I'm guessing is the reason.....
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM

you got me there Doug. That was a dumb statement.
Not that anyone would do that, just my careless way of saying the 4 stroke doesnt choke you out like a 2 stroke.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 PM

Default strikemaster yeah baby!!

I bought one of these augers and today was the first day that i had it out, hit up two lakes caught a lot of fish. Anyway back to the auger. I was very impressed with this unit. I was worried about the lack of HP's but i can't believe how much torque this machine has. I would recommend this auger to anyone that is looking. The price tag is quite outrageous but worth it IMO. Just wait for the sales like i did, got it for $599 which was cheaper then ordering it from the states with shipping. Not sure if Canadian Tire will be the exclusive carrier of them next year but wait for the sale they always go on sale.

Scrub
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUB View Post
I bought one of these augers and today was the first day that i had it out, hit up two lakes caught a lot of fish. Anyway back to the auger. I was very impressed with this unit. I was worried about the lack of HP's but i can't believe how much torque this machine has. I would recommend this auger to anyone that is looking. The price tag is quite outrageous but worth it IMO. Just wait for the sales like i did, got it for $599 which was cheaper then ordering it from the states with shipping. Not sure if Canadian Tire will be the exclusive carrier of them next year but wait for the sale they always go on sale.

Scrub
xx2