Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM

Default just a reminder

For those of us who use heaters in the shack during the winter.
Save some coin!! Best $20 I've spent.
http://maccoupler.com/
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Did you order the coupler from that link. How long did it take for delivery. Is a person able to use box # or street address. Is it legal in canada to fill the 1lb bottles. Im also looking at purchasing.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM

This thread is full of WIN. Where can I get one in town?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Many stores around Calgary have these

Got mine at bass pro

Last edited by harrydude; 12-30-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
Many stores around Calgary have these

Got mine at bass pro
Any other Calgary stores?

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM

Legal to fill them for yourself but its not legal to transport them afterwards.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 PM

I got mine through ebay. I think it was closer to 15 bucks.

But yeah, you can get them at Basspro, the fishin hole is listed as a dealer, I would be willing to bet that Princess Auto carries them, Cabelas.com has them, so not sure if Cabelas in edm would carry also.

Tmaxx, it is not illegal to refill 1 lbers for your own personal use. There is some sort of regulation in the transportation of dangerous goods or something like that. Not sure what the regulation is, but that's why the adapters are harder to find here in Canada.

Edit: see above post, illegal to transport. Not illegal to own or use...So if you feel the need to really be lawful, fill em up at the lake I guess?? ha
Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 PM

fishin holes website has them, i just ordered a couple.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
Fantastic!

Thank you. I have a few of the smaller bottles kicking around that are now empty. I can refill these and have more fuel for the heater. I did not want to carry along a 20lb propane tank, line, etc for my heater. I was not too keen on purchasing new propane bottles either!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 PM

Thats awesome!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 PM

Wayne will probably add his two cents and just tell you to buy a hose adapter.

But if you are anything like me, some of your favourite fishing is off the beaten path where truck access is not an option. The walk in can be from anywhere between 400 yards to just under 4 miles. Hoofing your gear in this distance makes you appreciate any possible weight reduction.

But, if your fishing is always from the truck, then this is what you should get, it is more efficient for you --> http://www.sears.com/search=propane%...=1356933757761
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
What kind of bottle of Alcohol would you like me to send you?

What a great thread, we were going to get an adapter and just bring a 20lber to save $, but this is way better. A lot lighter to!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 PM

I bought one last year, best $20 I've ever spent. You need to follow the directions though, big tank at room temperature and chill the empty little one outside for an hour first. If not you won't get the little tank much more than half full, at least from my experience.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM

Does the Fishin' Hole in Edmonton carrie these in their stores or can they only be bought online?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM

I bought one at the new fishing hole store in Edmonton. They are in the back area by the ice fishing gear, on the end of the shelf facing the ice augers.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 AM

For best results put the 1 lb emptys in the fridge for awhile. 20 lb tank warm.

Tip 20 lb tank upside down and connect 1 lb tank, open valve, let the pressure equalize. About a minute. shut off valve. Turn right side up and disconnect small tank first, check small tank for leaks. And your good to go.

Think I got mine at Cabelas.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Cabelas had them earlier. A few weeks ago I found them at C-tire in Leduc. I think princess auto has them as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM

Going to have to go get one! Ran out of heat sitting on pcr last night cause ran out of propane! This way can just top up each time I need to!!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM

I've been doing this for over 25 years. Back then I took a line and installed one fitting at each end (1 for the bottle end and 1 for the tank end). I usually refilled them where I was camping or hunting. Same procedure as above except I didn't have a freezer. Most of the time the small tank would only fill half full. To circumvent that I used a pair of needlenose pliers after the initial burst of gas to pull on the overflow valve on the small tank for about 3 seconds. Make sure the small bottle is in a vertical position and below the upside down 20lb. tank. You let some air out to make room for the liquid coming in. The next time you pull on the valve most likely you will see liquid coming out. If not then give the valve a short pull again. If you were going to use the reffilled tank on a coleman stove, let a bit of liquid out because the small tank would be sitting at an angle when hooked up to your stove and I didn't think that the possibility of raw gas going down the line was safe. I must have refilled over 40 to 50 tanks with no problems. I only had 2 tanks that kept leaking gas from the overflow valve. I checked every tank with sputum on both the regular valve and the overflow to make sure no gas was leaking. I had no problem finding empty tanks at campsites. After every refill I scratched a mark on the tank. After every 3rd refill I threw the tank away.
This new fitting looks very handy but be cautious if you will be using the small tank in a less than vertical position such as a coleman stove.
Happy New Year everybody.... The other half is calling haa
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM

Went to brass pro looking for the brass adapter to fill 1 lb bottles. They said that the dont carry it anymore. Does any one know if the fishin hole in calgary carries it
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM

I have been keeping my 1lber tanks for a while now- will hit the fishin hole and grab one of these.

Here's a question I have. I fill my 20lber at Hughes and they charge a flat 19.99 fee, even if the tank is 1/2 full. Anyone know where to go where they charge by the lb?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM

I'm pretty sure co-op charges per pound.

Fishin hole was out of these today. They said they should have more in a couple weeks.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM

X2. I have made quite a few phone call to find One but a few stores in red deer dont carry them and calgry stores are out as said above
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
pelada trochu

Been looking for ths for over a month wasnt aware it was available in canada. Some people have posted about cycling the tanks. As this is not a welded but brazed tank. Well ever run one for a while see the frost on it and take it in the house. That is cycling by me. Ive had mine in garage on a shelf for over ten years and no explosions yet. Every summer it warms and every winter cools and everything inbetween. Still worked last night for a quick heater test. The gas pressure of propane is something like 225 psi the vent is there to bleed excess pressure off when left in the sun. Overfilling isnt a concern unless using on an angle. For obvious reasons. Always use caution and check for leaks with spit test or similar. Should always be transported outside vehicle. If there is liquid in bottom the pressure is the same whether its full to top or just a tiny bit left.

Sort of a summary off of another forum thread on the legalities and safety concerns. Its a consumer product that should prove safe cause we definitelty abuse them. I wouldnt however pull the safety valve and bleed all pressure off cause if they ever were to risk a crack or failure it would be from this extreme pressure shift. That said. At -45 propane is a liquid in a pail. So any tank that gets near that cold has a huge pressure cycle just sitting there. But a slow shift change.

Last edited by pelada trochu; 01-03-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM

Default Tanks

So just curious not legal to transport once filled and how are they going to ell the difference from a store bought one lol havent seen any propane police on the hwy lately has anyone else lol
Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 AM

Smile

They sell these at the Fish'n Hole. I bought mine at the Calgary store last year for $20.

One tip I learned from Slingshotz is to freeze the small bottle and have the large one inside for a while to have it warm. They fill quick and easy.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM

FYI , been looking for one all week in Calgary and Red Deer. Apparently they are back ordered every where.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM

I ordered one online from Bass pro before Christmas when they had free shipping. Shipping was gonna cost as much as the adapter.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Anyone know where you can get the female fitting that attaches to the 1lb bottle? Figure if a guy can't get a Maccoupler a guy can make his own? I have the fitting from 20lb propane bottle, just need the female part to 1/4 npt.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM

im pretty sure if you looked at the canada weight and measures act gas stations cant charge a flat fee. imagine payinf a flat fee to fill up you pickup!