Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Jasper, mountains rock!....

It certainly has been a slow start this summer for number of trips. But quality makes up for quantity 

Went to Jasper this past Friday. Had plans to leave early but after checking many weather reports, 120 km per hr wind gusts doesn’t seem to mix...
Luckily most of the weather went further south. Headed out into rainstorms. Got in pretty late as in 12:30 a.m. or so. I was up though by 5 a.m. ....lots of coffee needed and headed up to Maligne. Pretty uneventful until I hit around Medicine lake and spooked a grizzly. Looked to be about 2 years and big enough. I slowed down to make sure it would not cross in front of me and was greeted with a nervous grizzly spectacle. Sorry, no pics. Sometimes it is not worth it to reach for the cam...or necessary.

Got out on the lake and it was an eerie fog everywhere. Pics really do not do this much justice:

A “spooky” look back at home bay

Some quick trolling and a throat sample let to indicator fishing a bunch of these, chrome bullets with tons of jumping strength. Each one seemed better than the last for fight. Had one that was pushing 4-5 lbs but got off on jump #11 or 12. Simple power!

This one I practiced some “poor handling techniques” on. Beauty orange flesh...

Caught lot of brookies in the afternoon. Nothing huge like usual. Maybe 17 inch tops but still nice.

Decided to try a new lake in the mountains on Sunday. Had a really, really slow start until I found them. When I did they were there in groups. I finally managed a hook up with this monster. 2 times into my backing and the 2 time into my backing was fierce. Thought I might lose the fish as it went past my entire fly line by about 5-6 feet with no sign of stopping. So, I took control with a lot of sideway pressure ...

Finally got a beast to the net and within a couple of netting tries I had this:

Thought about releasing it but hey, I came for some fun and food.

My PB brookie by a landslide

Nothing but awe and memories of this weekend. It was a gooder!