Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2023, 02:17 PM

Default Electronics nube

I have ice fished all my life here in AB. But have never used anything except a cheap Marcum camera. I've watched these guys with flashers and they make no sense to me. Was watching one of the Manitoba boys who do youtube stuff and was intrigued by the system he had. Looked more like sonor and had no trouble understanding what I was seeing. Hoping in the yrs ahead to branch out a bit to new water and thot electronics would shorten my learning curve. I see the stuff some of you guys post and you are light years ahead of me so hoping you can do some 'splaining to this old dog.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
I have ice fished all my life here in AB. But have never used anything except a cheap Marcum camera. I've watched these guys with flashers and they make no sense to me. Was watching one of the Manitoba boys who do youtube stuff and was intrigued by the system he had. Looked more like sonor and had no trouble understanding what I was seeing. Hoping in the yrs ahead to branch out a bit to new water and thot electronics would shorten my learning curve. I see the stuff some of you guys post and you are light years ahead of me so hoping you can do some 'splaining to this old dog.

Thanks
Post the video you're referring to. It's almost certainly live imaging technology. Still pricey although it's become much more affordable in the past 12-18 months.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Post the video you're referring to. It's almost certainly live imaging technology. Still pricey although it's become much more affordable in the past 12-18 months.
Have no idea how to do that but it was Jay Seimens and I think it was called the best perch ice fishing I've ever seen.

Was hoping you would post. Don't know you at all but there's no doubt you take ice fishing to a new level. Thanks
Old 12-31-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Live imaging is definitely pricey, but I would never go back now that I have it! Watching the reaction of the fish to my presentation has taught me so much! And taught me that the 'experts' don't know as much as they say they do! Definitely pricey, but worth every penny if you can afford it. Next choice would be a camera, same principle. Flasher would be a last choice.

My 2c
Old 01-01-2024, 05:34 AM

I would also add you can get an appropriate mounting to add live imaging to your boat in open water. The mapping feature is powerful. I use the maps in open and then again on the ice. So my Panoptics ice fishing bundle is used all year.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Have no idea how to do that but it was Jay Seimens and I think it was called the best perch ice fishing I've ever seen.

Was hoping you would post. Don't know you at all but there's no doubt you take ice fishing to a new level. Thanks
Well now I feel obligated to post something useful. lol.

That is indeed live imaging technology...Garmin's LiveScope Plus. It is very easy to interpret as you mentioned because everything is shown in real time instead of just the far right on a normal sonar. They're using it to pick up fish that are already there. In that use it makes you look like a stick because you rarely miss a fish. There is a slight lag with live imaging and fish can hide on the bottom which has a small dead space, as Jay mentioned. But nothing ever sneaks up on you and you will very rarely miss a strike with that setup. I often close my eyes when the fish is close because my reaction time is still way faster than the LiveScopes's delay (a tip for if you get one ).

The real advantage of the technology comes in locating fish though, and it's invaluable on new water. If they hadn't plopped right on fish right off the bat, they'd be able to pan around to find the fish. They're only looking about 30' out, but you can shoot out to 80-100' to the side in 9 fow if you're familiar with the unit. It saves you from having to punch a grid to try to find them. I actually like using a small underwater camera better to locate perch because the LiveScope is quite bulky and honestly too easy. But if I was on a schedule I'd be looking with the LiverScope for sure.

When I got in to live imaging technology a few years ago, the entry point was $4,000. While you can still build a system costing upwards of $10,000, you can now get into a base LiveScope (LVS-32) with a 9" screen for $2,500. That is essentially what he is running in that video with a few Summit accessories added, and the unit I still reach for most of the time (I have LiveScope Plus, LiveScope XR, and Lowrance's Active Target). If you're ever up in NW Alberta let me know and I'll show you how it works in person. Cheers.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I would also add you can get an appropriate mounting to add live imaging to your boat in open water. The mapping feature is powerful. I use the maps in open and then again on the ice. So my Panoptics ice fishing bundle is used all year.
I don't believe the typical live imaging transducers used for ice fishing (or summer fishing), will do you any favors for mapping. Specifically, I'm referring to the LVS32, LVS34, and LVS62 transducers. Garmin does make a transducer that will speed up generation of Quickdraw Contours maps...it's the PS30 transducer. I talked to their engineers about it this spring and decided it wasn't for me. Lowrance still rules the roost for making your own maps.