Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Default downrigger gopro

Does anybody have anything they've used to attach their gopro to a downrigger? I'm going to the west coast salmon fishing and am looking into a way to get a cool underwater video. Ive seen some setups but they cost $150 plus S&H. Anybody have any ideas or experience?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 PM

I think you would also need some sort of lighting, it gets awfully dark at down rigger depths.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Well typically we fish anywhere from depths of 25' to 65' so I was hoping it would work at the 25'-30' depth. Figure it would be worth a try and you could get some pretty cool footage. Just looking to see if anybody has had experience trying or have any knowledge of a good setup
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 PM

just watch how deep you send it the regular case might not withstand the pressures at depth.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM

GoPro's official website says they can withstand depths up to 197 ft (60m). Dont plan on taking it down that deep tho. Real concern is mounting and lighting although i figure the lighting should be alright at the 25' mark.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Banned

you will need some sort of lighting even at 30 ft or your camera wont capture anything beyond 6 or 7 m. also, make sure you have a pressure tested case adequate to handle the water pressure.

GL and post some videos soon
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 PM

There was a video on here some while ago, but can't find it. I believe they were catching salmon and trout from 60-100 ft. Could see it great. But the lure was back maybe 20-25 ft. It was a cool video. Lots of light. He was going to post how he rigged up his go pro, but haven't seen it yet
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Gp housing will take it no problem, the light will be you bigger issue. If you have realistic expectations a gp might work for you. But your not going into 150 ft vis tropical water. I'd be hooking it up behind like a follow Cam if your trolling.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM

been thinking the same.....
probably going to need one of the large weights shaped like a fish then you can tap a hole into the lead and locktite a 1/4" thread ready rod. then use the tri pod mount and a wing nut to lock it into the desired position.
only problem is how true the go pro will run in the water or will it just whip around causing excessive turbulence?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TatKKww9oDo
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Ya i've watched those videos a couple times now. They look pretty awesome. It's pretty clear too. And by the looks of it the camera is down at least 20 ft. Got this picture from another forum and it looks pretty interesting
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Actually just about all of the underwater video from the above URL was from the Walker Downrigger Strike Vision system. They used GoPros for the rod shots and I believe one small other bit.

The biggest problem for towed under water camera's is camera stability. You will need to find something to stabilize your camera which will not be that easy.

From the video I'm pretty sure their lures were only about 5-10 feet off the cannon ball, if that helps you any. (10 feet for the flasher and bait and 5 feet for the spoon). I would recommend an fish shaped cannon ball or cannon ball with a rear fin to also help stabilize the camera.

Good Luck to you.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM

I have used a Marcum ice fishing camera before to do the same thing. It has fins on the camera for stability while moving and its own light source. Rigged it up with 2 steel leaders back to the downrigger ball. Worked awesome once i tweaked it a couple of times to center on the lure. Unfortunately, this was in Kootenay Lake when the bite was slow so never saw a fish on it. (Lure looked like a grain of rice dancing on the screen) It was alot more than $150 to set it up though.