Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 04:08 AM
Banned

Default Where would you like to see better cellular reception?

This is a topic I'm sure most outdoors enthusiast would like to see and in today's world of communication because there still needs to be a lot of towers put up, not only in the back country but on major highways where a simple phone call could mean life or death for the unfortunate individuals in need of assistance. I know some would rather go without but I like to be prepared for anything and any where.

I would like to see better coverage from Abraham lake to the Saskatchewan river crossing and from Jasper to Banff. As well as along the eastern slopes of Alberta. I recently tested how far I could make it out to hunter valley road from water valley and I made it about 3 klms past Harold creek road only with a good cell booster of coarse and I had to strip my cell phone case off to do so.

Where would you like to see better coverage for one reason or another? For example the Ihunter app, reporting a poacher, crime etc.

Last edited by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^; 01-23-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 AM
Banned

I'm still kind of old fashioned I guess. I always leave my cell phone in the truck. Leave the house without it lots too.

I use it for work all over Alberta and there are a few dead spots, but I've always been able to get reception within a 15 minute drive along most backroads.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:03 AM
Banned

Anytime I need to make an important call ... for what a person pay's in cell phone fees a person is ripped off !!!
Old 01-23-2017, 05:11 AM
Banned

I wouldn't mind being able to check up what's going on at home with my security cameras too. LTE OR 3G would be a luxury but still basic calling would be nice.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:23 AM

Personally, I always need to have my mobile phone with me because I've opened a business and I get a lot of important calls every day, so I can't leave my phone anywhere, but I need to make sure I keep it with me.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:40 AM

Places where I can see a tower with the naked eye, and not get reception worth a krap, sort of amaze me this day and age. And that isn't even in the foothills or mountains.But, things like Sirius and Starlink sort of tell the story, in a sense, telecoms in Canada are hung up on serving the masses and not so much the country.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:00 AM

Old thread but still applicable in Alberta. Cell service in Alberta is brutal always has been. When my Uncle was working down in Columbia he said the jungles around bogata had better cell service than Alberta. Have to appease the cartels I guess.
25 years ago you could make a call from pretty much anywhere with an aurora or an XJ. Since then we have taken a huge step back. Why is that?
Old 05-27-2021, 10:10 AM

In my yard, I don’t even like giving my cell number out, people always leave messages on it rather than the land line, sometimes I don’t see them for days
Old 05-27-2021, 10:42 AM

Bahahaha! 4 year old thread and all the original posters including the OP are now banned. What are the odds...?
Old 05-27-2021, 03:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Bahahaha! 4 year old thread and all the original posters including the OP are now banned. What are the odds...?
Yeah it's really sad. All were good people as far as I could tell. I certainly had no issues with any of them.

But the subject is of special interest to me right now.

We have zero coverage anywhere close to where I live and it seems as though Telus wants to eliminate the land lines in this area.

I know two people who have been without phone service for weeks because Telus will not send out a repairman. Naturally they won't say why but most of the neighbors I've talked to think it's because they don't consider land lines a priority.

And I suppose for the majority it isn't. Most seem to use cell phones more then land line these days.

But one neighbor in particular concerns me.

That neighbor is one of the ones I know that has no phone service and she is a 88 year old widow trying to run a small cattle operation all by herself.

The lady is a tough as they come but she never had much to do with the outside work until her husband died a few years ago.

She can hardly speak any English and she has no friends in the area or any neighbors close by.
She has a son who lives in town, but no other family in the area.

With a phone he can check on her from his job or anywhere for that matter but without it he has to drive over forty miles to check on her.

He did get her a cell phone and it does work some times but almost as often the signal isn't strong enough to work.

Just the other day he phoned me in a panic because he couldn't contact her by phone. I went over and found her healthy and happy but at her age with the works she has taken on that may not always be the case.

I would like to see better cell service for many areas in the north.

We have good coverage along the highway most of the way from Peace River to the NWT border but ten miles either side of the highway the coverage is spotty to non existent.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-27-2021, 05:24 PM

Better reception for me meant ditching Telus. When I couldn’t get service within 20 minutes of Camrose on a flat stretch of the 21 I knew something was wrong. Rogers is consistently much better. Telus could not care less about their cliemts Even paid the imaginary extra bill once I quit. They trained me well will not be back.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:05 PM

Four year old thread revived by a first post. I love these.

I want better cell reception in my Apocalypse Bunker, but that 10' of reinforced concrete messes with it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-27-2021, 09:09 PM

Red Deer river valley sucks for reception depending where you are. Have seen lots of tubers that have miss judged time and are getting hypothermia and are a long way from shelter. Had to go up river a few times to retrieve cold and wet kids that weren’t prepared as well as a few families.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Four year old thread revived by a first post. I love these.

I want better cell reception in my Apocalypse Bunker, but that 10' of reinforced concrete messes with it.
Has cell service improved that much in the last 4 years this thread is irrelevant?
Old 05-27-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Has cell service improved that much in the last 4 years this thread is irrelevant?
Yes.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-27-2021, 10:22 PM

We put up a Yagi antenna at our hunting camp! Driving in you have no signal for 20 minutes. Have a telus hub and we can watch movies now. It sucks the signal in nice!
Old 05-27-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Yes.
I guess I haven't been in GP area for coming close to 3 years now, but it sure hasn't improved around here.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Yes.
It hasn't changed at all around these parts. And I doubt it will because they aren't about to start relocating towers that were poorly thought out the first time around.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:23 PM

They are putting in a tower at Travers, now I can finally call in the poachers at the spillway.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:30 AM

I make trips somewhat regularly up Hwy88 and once you get a little ways north of Red Earth there isn't much for service for quite a while until you get closer to Fort/Lacrete. Fairly long stretch of highway, would be nice to have better reception.

Threads reminding me about adding a cell phone booster to the truck one of these days. In my old job I spent a lot of time where you would never get reception without one, surprising how well they work, very rare not to have enough service to get a call out.