Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up Custom Rifle Time! Need a barrel

Well the time has come for me to build a rifle, I sort of have a plan but first I need to order a barrel. Probably the most important ( read $$ ) for me so thought I'd pick your fellas brains.

Contour is all new to me, I want ss 24" and fluted and flutes painted. It will be a hunting rifle so weight is a concern, planning for not over 7lbs bare.

What's the lightest contour you can use with flutes? Not sure how deep regular flutes are but I'd consider "light" fluting as it's pretty much cosmetic for me. Been checking out a few websites and so far I think a no.3 may be what I'm after.
Am I on the right track? Experiences/opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM

I have a few fluted barrels but they 1.250" diameter at the muzzle. I won't flute another barrel. There really is no advantage. There are a few tricks you can apply to the new barrel. Short with a straight taper, progressive rifling twist, and chamber it to an efficient cartridge.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM

I like fluted barrels too but you won't save much weight by fluting, maybe a couple ounces. I have a 6-284 with a Krieger #4 fluted and a 264 win mag with a Krieger #4 non-fluted and both guns weigh virtually the same. Both these guns have Defiance long actions, McMillan stocks with std fill and 26" barrels and weigh 8lbs. If you go with a Edge Technology McMillan you would save 10 ounces and a #3 barrel is about 1/2 pound lighter so that would get you close to your 7lbs you want. The 24" barrel will save you a little too. If you are using a 700 action or clone a average weight for the complete action is about 2.5lbs, a McMillan with std fill is about 32 ounces, Edge Tech stock is about 22 ounces, and then pick your barrel contour to make the weight you want. I think Bell and Carlson and HS stocks run around 2.5lbs if they have a bedding block in them.

Last edited by snroth; 01-19-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM

I talked to Mr Smith at RKS a couple days ago and asked him a few questions and said he'd take my money for the flutes, lol! He told me to mail him a letter with what I wanted with a cheque.
So far I got 6.5 cal gain twist to 8 or 8.5, finish 24" ss, so I think I got crown and contour left. It's for a rem 700 sa.
I have 2 700 mtn rifles here and they are to thin for this and the one on my donor is a mag contour that seems a bit big , I'll mic it and see what it reads. If anyone has a 700 fluted cdl or Boone and Crockett I'd like to know what they mic at barrel please.

Cheers
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM

It's the barrel that separates good from great - the cost of a superb barrel always made me blink once or twice; but once you start using it - it will make you smile. As far as the flutes go - there may be small advantages to barrel rigidity, ability to shed heat etc - but they look so darn cool and if it's in the budget - do it!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
I talked to Mr Smith at RKS a couple days ago and asked him a few questions and said he'd take my money for the flutes, lol! He told me to mail him a letter with what I wanted with a cheque.

Cheers
i just received the same sermon a couple of weeks ago from him!
3 months turnaround wait for me!!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
So far I got 6.5 cal gain twist to 8 or 8.5, finish 24" ss, so I think I got crown and contour left. It's for a rem 700 sa.
I have 2 700 mtn rifles here and they are to thin for this and the one on my donor is a mag contour that seems a bit big , I'll mic it and see what it reads. If anyone has a 700 fluted cdl or Boone and Crockett I'd like to know what they mic at barrel please.

Cheers
I would leave the crown up to him. Every gunsmith has one they like and prefer. Why would you change it?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Seen a few barrels that were fluted, then powder coated, then powder coating shaved off leaving flutes colored. It does look good. For the brave only; ask Ron to spiral flute a barrel.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM

snroth, do you love the defience action,as thats the action i was looking at along with a lilja barrel
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Haven't had any issues with them
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM

Hey kropsbone, check out Definace's new actionm the Deviant. They just released it at the Shot show last week; itegral 20MOA rail and recoil lu!!!. Looks like its only available in medium action right now but my smith is gunna call Glenn @ defiance to see how long it'll take before the long action comes out! I think I'll definately wait until its available to do my 6.5STW build!! It looks way too cool
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
i just received the same sermon a couple of weeks ago from him!
3 months turnaround wait for me!!
Me too and that's fine buy me, I'll need that much to get the other parts together probably. It might be complete for hunting season.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Seen a few barrels that were fluted, then powder coated, then powder coating shaved off leaving flutes colored. It does look good. For the brave only; ask Ron to spiral flute a barrel.
That's what I'm considering, think it be a nice custom touch. I'll see about spiral, I was on harts website and they are doing some interesting stuff with the flutes for sure.

Just gotta find the perfect contour still...

Last edited by TUFFBUFF; 01-19-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM

i'll check it!

Tags
barrel, custom, rifle build