Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 PM

Default Non Lead Factory Bullet Recommendation

I am wanting to move into a quality, 3006 non lead factory bullet. Hunting elk and deer and prefer to stick with the same bullet weight for both - 160ish - Does anyone have any suggestions.

I tried the Superformance for my 2012 season and both deer ran more than a hundred yards after being hit in the vitals - bullet passed straight through them. Maybe too fast? In stepping down the speed I would like to take the benefit of eliminating the lead.

Thx in advance for any advice.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I am wanting to move into a quality, 3006 non lead factory bullet. Hunting elk and deer and prefer to stick with the same bullet weight for both - 160ish - Does anyone have any suggestions.

I tried the Superformance for my 2012 season and both deer ran more than a hundred yards after being hit in the vitals - bullet passed straight through them. Maybe too fast? In stepping down the speed I would like to take the benefit of eliminating the lead.

Thx in advance for any advice.
What kind of bullet was loaded in the Superperfomance ammo you bought? Was it the SST, Interbond, Interlock or the GMX? If it was the GMX then your already using a mono metal lead free bullet.

Your other choice would be to find some factory loaded Barnes TSX, TTSX or Nosler E-Tip. I know you can get the Barnes in Federal premium line of ammo as well as in the Barnes Vortex line of ammo. I'm sure the E-tip is available in a factory offering from Nosler.

Reducing velocity is not Ideal with mono metal bullets as most of them require an impact velocity of 2000 fps or greater. Since your asking about factory ammo though I wouldn't worry about it. Being that your looking for 30-06 ammo there will be something available for sure.

Last edited by whitetailhntr; 01-20-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 PM

My buddies were shooting Barnes Vortex 180 gr this year. Did a good job on a few deer and very accurate out of both of their Remington 700's.

Good luck on your search.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 PM

thank you both, very helpful.