Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you prefer to have in a hunting rifle?
Removable Magazine 165 71.43%
Hinged Floorplate 66 28.57%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I love the "ammo on the floor of the truck" comment.....

I watched a buddy unload his hinged floorplate gun one time. It was ridiculous. He was fumbling with the rifle, trying to push the button, spring flopping around, gun between his knees, looked like a dog trying to hump a football......

Anyways, there is his ammo all over the field, gun barrel dirty and I asked him why he doesnt just turn the rifle over, push the button and neatly dump the ammo in his hand..... then load it the same way????

He never thought of that....
+1

I have owned many rifles with hinged floor plates, and I have never loaded the magazine on any of them from the top.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

Some guys just don't think, others overthink!!
If it goes in one way, it'll come out the same way.
Cat
I swear that common sense is truly a superpower....
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Floorplate cuz you can't loose it, it doesn't restrict seating depth like some clips can, and I find in hunting rifles you can usually fit more rounds into them(five unlike three or four). I don't see how people are dropping shells all over the place. Just preference i guess.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Hinged floor plate!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM

Have both and their are advantages to both for sure. I've had a few DM's malfunction in recent years resulting in failing to pick up a round, not a good feeling. Probably lean towards a hinge plate for that reason but love the efficiency of the DM...tough call
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Couldn't decide on this issue either. So I bought the sako A7, you an load it like a floor plate or remove the magazine. Seemed to solve my issue, or at least not give me a reason to complain anymore.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM

If I had a choice on a particular rifle in dropped floor plate or dbm, I would take the dbm. I like the ease of being able to unload with one button and load just as quickly.
Used to have a floor plate that came right out which was almost as handy, but the whole hinged concept has no value to me.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM

I choose a gun for the gun...whichever it has is irrelevant. Unless it has a DM that hangs out....yuck!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM

The only firearm with a removable magazine that I ever disliked was this Greek bolt-action shotgun a friend had. The magazine was like an 8-Track cartridge.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 PM

I like the smooth, flush lines of the floor plate. Maybe not too convenient for road hunters though? Either way is fine, I'm not too fussy....and thx for the good chuckle huntinstuff!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned

i figure the guys complaining about the browning magazine have seen it but not used it themselves. i was told the spring would break lots too, but the gun i got at 15 is still chugging along. id bet 20 bucks to anyone that wants to try, that i could load my gun with one hand faster than you could load your floor plate gun. id beat you by even more loading the second one in my pocket against your reload of loose shells. the clean looks of the plate on the bottom helps too. of course a browning a-bolt has been my main gun since i was 15, so a guy new to one may not feel the same.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i figure the guys complaining about the browning magazine have seen it but not used it themselves. i was told the spring would break lots too, but the gun i got at 15 is still chugging along. id bet 20 bucks to anyone that wants to try, that i could load my gun with one hand faster than you could load your floor plate gun. id beat you by even more loading the second one in my pocket against your reload of loose shells. the clean looks of the plate on the bottom helps too. of course a browning a-bolt has been my main gun since i was 15, so a guy new to one may not feel the same.
I've had them, used them and they're crap.

And what exactly are we racing for?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
Maybe not too convenient for road hunters though?
The above is unfortunately by and large the crux of the issue.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Personally I kinda like a blind magazine, no floor plate to open and no clip to fall out. Keeps it simple. I have rifles with floor plates but I use them as if they were a blind mag, some of them probably have never had the floorplate opened. And the guns with detatchable magazines always have me paranoid I'm going to lose it or leave it somewhere.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
i figure the guys complaining about the browning magazine have seen it but not used it themselves.
I have actually owned two rifles with that silly magazine system, a Stainless Stalker, and a BAR Mark II.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And what exactly are we racing for?
read closer.....i said a race for 20 bucks......
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

how come nobody is voting for the system with the scissor springs, but NO floorplate.....ya know bullets go in the top, and come out the top....no bottom option.? i forget who made that one, but that seemed really dumb to me.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
The above is unfortunately by and large the crux of the issue.
ive heard that said before, but dont understand the reasoning. explain.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
ive heard that said before, but dont understand the reasoning. explain.
When hunting away from a truck the issue of loose rounds in your pocket is lost on me. These loose rounds are all in the rifle. No?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 AM

Depends on the rifle. For a Semi auto I like a mag. Bolt I'd prefer a hinge floorplate. I've never had issues with the 2 I owned. Now that I'm on a lever gun kick so I'd take a tube. Next bolt gun I get will have a floorplate though. Loose rounds in my pocket don't bother me as I usually only put 3 or 4 there. Haven't lost any yet and I can work it proficiently.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
When hunting away from a truck the issue of loose rounds in your pocket is lost on me. These loose rounds are all in the rifle. No?
Hmmm, you have to load it no matter which style of hunting you do. The only way those rounds get into the rifle is if you put them there. Doesn't matter what style of hunting you chose you still have to unload your rifle at the end of the day and then you will have the loose rounds to deal with. No?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Banned

Blind Magazine all the way! My rifles don't have barcodes. Removable magazine loved by road hunters and the unwashed most if not all leave them loaded 365 days a year ensuring a warn out spring.

Run your junk the way you like.

Last edited by gopher; 11-14-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
Hmmm, you have to load it no matter which style of hunting you do. The only way those rounds get into the rifle is if you put them there. Doesn't matter what style of hunting you chose you still have to unload your rifle at the end of the day and then you will have the loose rounds to deal with. No?
I guess I'm more coordinated than most but I can dump four or five rounds out of the bottom of a rifle and catch them all.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
And then God created cartridge holders.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Banned

I have both and I'm a floorplate guy. Its a pretty minor issue, It drives me nuts when guys, usualy newbs, make it a hill to die on and you get lines like "I realy liked such and such a rifle but it doesnt have a clip so I bought this other one that I didnt like as much". That stuff drives me crazy.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 AM

Or at least man was able to scrounge up something.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Hinged floorplate.

A clip(s) is nice for the all reasons mentioned, but I am a sucker for a sleek looking traditional rifle with a highly figured walnut stock. I probably like the snick of loading a mauser action one at a time, too, but that might just be a rationalization.

I always had a problem with blonde amazons, too. Personality defects, I expect.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
the ones in the rifle would be looked after. the ones in your pocket would be clinking around in there. unless you wnet with a shell holder.....but then you are back to the very slow reload time.

bottom line is its personal preference. some guys like wood guns....some dont. some like monte carlo stocks....some dont. some like bolt actions....some prefer semis. there is no wrong answer really. had my first gun been a blind mag, i may prefer that, but it wasnt......
Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Personally I kinda like a blind magazine, no floor plate to open and no clip to fall out. Keeps it simple. I have rifles with floor plates but I use them as if they were a blind mag, some of them probably have never had the floorplate opened. And the guns with detatchable magazines always have me paranoid I'm going to lose it or leave it somewhere.
2x... They also save a little weight on a rifle, and less parts to break or lose.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 AM

I like a hinged floor plate mag myself. If I had my preference I'd have them use stripper clips like the military rifles (Enfeild, SKS, older AK, Mauser, etc.) You want to talk about fast loading, a stripper clip has it done in a quick flip of the thumbs.

I've seen rifles, and I don't remember which ones, that had a DBM that looked like a hinged floor plate for cosmetics. I'd use that too if I liked the rifle.

Honestly one system or the other wouldn't bother me if the rifle was worth it. I like the hinged floor plate most because they feel a little more secure. Less like your ammo can drop out the bottom if you shoulder your rifle quickly. Having said that I once owned a Winchester Mdl 70 (70's version) that the retaining button was so worn out that a stiff shake would make the rifle dump its ammo. They didn't even make camo duct tape back then either so I was stuck with the silver with some breakup drawn on it with a sharpie! The things you're willing to put up with while you're in school... sigh