Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Default 1892 lever action build help please

I'm planning on building a 218 Bee in a lever action. From the little research I've done can someone point me in the right direction as a platform rifle to use. I've read that the 218 bee used to be offered in the Winchester 1892 and marlin produced a few in the 90's.

My question is: Can I simply purchase a newer model 1892 and have it re-barrelled? Or does anyone have any better ideas?

If I could find a lever action already in a 218 bee then that'd be better, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I'm planning on building a 218 Bee in a lever action. From the little research I've done can someone point me in the right direction as a platform rifle to use. I've read that the 218 bee used to be offered in the Winchester 1892 and marlin produced a few in the 90's.

My question is: Can I simply purchase a newer model 1892 and have it re-barrelled? Or does anyone have any better ideas?

If I could find a lever action already in a 218 bee then that'd be better, but I'm not holding my breath.
No reason why not to, what would be even better however, would be a tiny box magazine rifle, that way you could use pointed bullets.
I'm not sure if the BLR was made in .223 sized stuff though but I think it was!
Cat
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM

Thanks Cat. I already have a bruno 465 22 hornet which is a bolt. This all got started when I wanted a 22 hornet lever. Long story short. I'm now looking at the 218 bee lever. It's the closest I can find to the hornet that can be had in a lever. The 25-20 wcf would be nice too, little under velocity though. The 25-35 wcf was briefly thought about but a little over kill for praire chickens and yotes under 50yards on the trapline. And the mini 14 I have already solves the 223 BLR dilema

Last edited by ramonmark; 01-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM

I see Winchester just came out with a 17 cal rimfire which fires a 20gr pill at 3000fps. 17 Win Super Mag. It might be worth it to wait and see if any other rifle manufacturers make one in a lever. Hmmm. What to do.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 AM

How about a .256 Winchester Magnum? I was pondering this and noted that the case rim seemed about the right size.... and low, found that it was a necked down .357. Sounds like ammunition is available, but can be made with a regular set of dies, lacking a reforming die. (Which sounds like it is also available.)

I don't think 25-20 would be a bad choice either; my reloading info has a 60 gr. bullet travelling 2300 fps, at a very low chamber pressure.

The .256 has a little more case capacity, but I think quite a bit of difference is achieved with the higher loading pressures.

I think that rebarreling anything to a .218 would be problematic, as the small case head size is not very common, and you would be custom making a bolt, extractor and lifter. Not to mention everything else would end up being a little big. (tube mag + gate)

Whereas if you went with a used .357, they are available relatively cheap, depending on condition, and then to have it refinished in a nice blue or black nitride to match the barrel won't break the bank.

Over all I think the .256 would be a killer option as the data I'm looking at lists a 60 gr. at just under 2800 fps up to a 87 gr. at just under 2200, and a 75 at over 2400. Also a cast 65 gr. at 2300. (max loads at moderate pressure)

You may find that the bullet selection for the .257 cal flat nose are better at punching a hole without making a mess. Depending on where you hit fur, the .224 bullets meant for Hornet velocities make a big hole. I think you would actually have an easier time finding both varmint and hunting bullets for the .257 than flat nose .224 hunting bullets. Also a little easier to cast, if you want to go that way.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 AM

Also brass, if you are reforming will be a lot cheaper. Not to mention easier to find.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Thanks tac. Thats another really good idea. I like the idea of having a cal over 243 aswell. You never know, might just bump into a nice cougar when you 're at the trapline. Saves packing 2 rifles. It's still a little over kill for a 50 yard shooter but definitely worth doing some research on.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks tac. Thats another really good idea. I like the idea of having a cal over 243 aswell. You never know, might just bump into a nice cougar when you 're at the trapline. Saves packing 2 rifles. It's still a little over kill for a 50 yard shooter but definitely worth doing some research on.
The more I think about it, the more it sounds like the perfect woods rifle. Loaded to full power, it'll make 1000 ft/lbs. energy; legal and capable for deer at closer range (although I'll probably be lambasted for saying so). Probably perfect for medium size predators. Enough gun that a person wouldn't feel unarmed if you had to put down something big and mean.

Of course you could load it down as well. The (useful) case capacity is only 17% bigger than the Bee. 1.17 cc, vs. 1.0 cc according to the Lee reloading book.

I think I just talked myself into one. I kind of thought it was just an oddball at first, but it has real all round potential.

I think you should build a Marlin 1895 (easy to scope and real steel receiver) in .256 with an octagonal barrel, with a black nitride finish. (For something a little different and special)

If you don't like it, I know someone who would probably take it off your hands....
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Your picturing something that is exactly what I had in my mind.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Oops! Of course I meant 1894. One of the 92 style lever actions with a nice peep would be cool too. But for ease of mounting a scope, I would probably go Marlin. In low light, it's hard to beat a scope.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Now you really have me thinking... What about a mares leg in a 357 mag. Get that bad boy rebarrelled into a 256 win mag! mad, that would make a great trapline firearm.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Never mind. Just talked to my gun smith. I guess he's not allowed to alter, or swap barrels on a mare leg. Darn
Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Never mind. Just talked to my gun smith. I guess he's not allowed to alter, or swap barrels on a mare leg. Darn
With a barrel under 18" on a rifle (manual action), the facility has to have a manufacturing license. Ellwood Eps has a licence to do this. Have never used them, heard some mixed reviews. I did phone them up to inquire about swapping in a short barrel (12-14 inches) on a Marlin. They were helpful and patient with my questions, even though I was just kicking the idea around at the time.

The wife has a Rossi Ranch Hand in .44 mag. Unless you fit it with a regular shoulder stock, and some good sights (the existing sights can't be properly regulated), it is challenging to hit with at any distance that the pistol rounds would be stretched to. The wood could be finished a little better, and the action has to be operated briskly, but it's a nice little gun.

I was going to fit it with a shoulder stock, but I am "not allowed to". A lanyard on the saddle ring (and slung around the shoulder while aiming) may increase the effective distance somewhat.

One day I may buy another (for myself) in .45 Colt, as the action is strong enough to handle the .454 Casull, so can tolerate some loads in excess of what the .44 mag can do.

One thing I did notice, even with reduced loads, is that it is very loud with the short barrel. I was told that it would be, but was still surprised. If I was planning on shooting it, ear plugs are recommended. In that way, it would be somewhat limited. A regular length stock and an 18" inch barrel would still be very handy too, and measure somewhere around 36 inches overall.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM

The 218 bee is based off a necked down 25-20wcf so you could use a 25-20wcf or a 32-20wcf to use as a base for a 218 bee build. Marlin, Winchester both make 25-20 and 32-20 lever actions.