Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 AM

Default Crown land question

Hello,

So forgive me if this is a dumb question. If a person harvests a coyote, or wolf on crown land can they market this fur? If this is legal, is it bad etiquette?
Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM

Not a bad question at all, coyotes at auction are selling for over a hundred Canadian each the past couple years so their is plenty of money involved in those devil dogs

By harvest I assume you mean hunt them, if you want to trap you must be licensed

If you get it tanned, there is no restriction on selling

If it is not tanned you can only legally sell it to a licensed fur buyer sure as a taxidermist or some holding a valid class 1 or 2 licenses

If it is not tanned you can send it to nafta, but you must meet the requirements to get an account with them (such as a valid trapping license)

The most money to work value for coyote would be sending them to nafta, the most money for wolf is selling whole and unskinned to a fur buyer/taxidermist or finding someone to purchase a taxidermisted wolf

Last edited by D4l3k; 08-29-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:32 AM

for furbearers that have a hunting season like fox and coyote, no trapping lisence is required to sell leagally harvested animals. fur buyers will take your WIN card number. i did this for a couple years before i got my trapping lisence. i am not sure if you can open a NAFA account with only a WIN card number. also not all taxidermists have fur buyers lisences.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:03 AM
AO Sponsor

I think it would be bad etiquette if you are involved with the environmental anti everything organizations. Possibly also for the transgender crowd but I'm not certain. So I guess it all depends upon your personal values, are you an anti? A man? woman? An X? We do not know your perspective, values, and/or life story.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Gone Hunting

The trapping regulations are available online and are in PDF form so anyone can download them.

It is best to consult the regulations rather then ask on here because there are always a few here who will tell you things that are not true and these individuals are often very aggressive about defending thier claims.

Here is what the regulations say.

Quote:
In Alberta anyone may sell the following:
l processed (tanned or otherwise permanently preserved, but not
dried, salted or frozen) skins of fur-bearing animals;

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I think it would be bad etiquette if you are involved with the environmental anti everything organizations. Possibly also for the transgender crowd but I'm not certain. So I guess it all depends upon your personal values, are you an anti? A man? woman? An X? We do not know your perspective, values, and/or life story.
Kinda swerving in your lane there buddy, but i suppose i didnt quite specify very well. What i meant is if one is hunting coyotes with intention to bring to market on crown, possibly in an area that is a resisted line, would this potentially ruffle feathers from other trappers?

I passed my trappers course last winter, and plan on resident trapping. I own land that i can trap, plus have lots of land owner family that will let me trap. I am aware of the WA 19A, and will be getting them filled out. I am very green to trapping, I am the first to admit that. I am however experienced in calling coyotes, and have had success with wolf hunting on both private/public land. I was told in the course to account for all fur to be brought to market, harvest methods and locations. So this tells me that the WA 19A backs up the fur taken on private land, but was wondering if i need documentation to market fur taken(via hunting) on crown. I have looked into the regs, and wouldn't act solely on the advice given on a forum. Asking questions on this forum is usually a good start to research, seeing as the amount of experience here is vast. Thank you all that replied.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Kinda swerving in your lane there buddy, but i suppose i didnt quite specify very well. What i meant is if one is hunting coyotes with intention to bring to market on crown, possibly in an area that is a resisted line, would this potentially ruffle feathers from other trappers?

I passed my trappers course last winter, and plan on resident trapping. I own land that i can trap, plus have lots of land owner family that will let me trap. I am aware of the WA 19A, and will be getting them filled out. I am very green to trapping, I am the first to admit that. I am however experienced in calling coyotes, and have had success with wolf hunting on both private/public land. I was told in the course to account for all fur to be brought to market, harvest methods and locations. So this tells me that the WA 19A backs up the fur taken on private land, but was wondering if i need documentation to market fur taken(via hunting) on crown. I have looked into the regs, and wouldn't act solely on the advice given on a forum. Asking questions on this forum is usually a good start to research, seeing as the amount of experience here is vast. Thank you all that replied.
The fur buyer will ask for a valid trappers license, that is all the documentation he requires.

If you are hunting on a registered trap line, there could be issues with the holder of that line whether you are legal or not.
He makes his living off that line, you do not.

A reasonable man would consider that before doing any hunting.

What the legalities are with regards to coyotes and hunting them on a registered line I do not know nor am I interested in looking it up.
That information will be in the regulations.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 PM
Banned

As previously mentioned, it is best to confirm the following information as being accurate. To the best of my knowledge it is.

You can hunt coyotes and wolves on Public Land including on RFMA's while in season. Add the pelts to your trapped dogs and send them all into auction. When you fill out your fur declaration when you renew your trapping license you only need to include the WMU # of where you shot them if it is different from where you are trapping. You only need a WIN # to sell to a registered fur buyer. I'm pretty sure that you can open a NAFA account with just a WIN# but since you have a Trapping License it doesn't matter anyway.

Etiquette?.....If hunting on an RFMA I'm sure that the trapline lessee would appreciate it if you touched base with him, although you don't have to. If setting up a bait site coordinate the location with the trapline lessee so you don't interfere with his and he is aware of the higher risk area for bears. Don't hunt over, in or around his bait sites.....not nice.

You need to look in the Hunting Regs if you are shooting them on Public Land:

Other Species
NOTE: It is unlawful, with the following exceptions, to allow the pelt of any furbearing animal to be wasted:
It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of 1) furbearing animals taken in accordance with regulations authorizing control of problem wildlife, or 2) coyotes harvested, by residents, outside of public lands in the Green Area.

Timber Wolf
A Resident may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2018, or until June 15, 2018 in WMUs where black bear seasons are open until June 15, 2018.

A Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote Licence may hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2018, or until June 15, 2018 in WMUs where black bear seasons are open until June 15, 2018.

Coyote – A Resident, Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote licence may, except in WMUs 728 and 730, hunt (but not trap) coyote

a) throughout the year on privately owned land and on public land in the White Area, to which he or she has the right of access to hunt;

b) on public lands in the Green Area to which he or she has the right of
access to hunt, from the opening day of a big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2018 or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date.

In Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730) a Resident may hunt coyote from January 5 until the end of February.
Baiting for Wolves and Coyotes - On public land, hunters cannot use bait for hunting wolves or coyotes except a) from Dec. 1 to Mar. 31, or b) during an open season for the hunting of black bear where the setting out, use and possession of bait for the purpose of hunting black bear is permitted.

Each wolf or coyote bait site must have a readily observable sign showing the owner’s name, WIN, Big Game Outfitter-guide Permit Number, or Big Game Guide’s Designation Number.

These baiting restrictions do not apply to WMUs 102-166, to persons hunting under authority of a trapping licence, or on any private land.

http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/gameregs.html

I hope that this helps you out and good luck this season!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Thanks fellas!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 AM
AO Sponsor

Ok, a new trapper who likes fur and the game... good! You're in the right place.

My thoughts are if you are out big game hunting or even on a predator hunt, all is good, no bad etiquette. If you pull into a guys trapline that is known for predator management and you set up shop in a big way predator hunting, emphasis on taking large numbers and have the ability to do so, it might fall there, as questionable. Surely better places to do so, perhaps on a line where the next guy doesnt manage his predators, and then your success rate would be up due to available numbers, and overpopulated wolves/coyotes end up becoming managed... better than unmanaged? yes?

The fur buyer / fur depot doesn't need particulars of coyote/wolf kills shot. Alberta residents may do so without a licence. If you are trapping/snaring then yes provide your licence number.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 AM

Yeah Marty im new to the trapping, but have alot of admiration for the game. Ive found that the trapping community is full of some really cool people, and I want to be a part of it. Just trying to learn as much as i can, prepare to the best of my ability, and hopefully execute this winter. Its all very exciting to me, and i want to do the best job possible.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Am I missing something, always thought it was illegal to trap on some ones RFMA. Setting up a coyote bait station would definitly be against trapper regulations. In the old days many guys who trapped on someones RFMA never made it out of the bush. You can shoot a wolf while moose hunting. Almost all green area in Alberta is a Registered Fur Management Area.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Am I missing something, always thought it was illegal to trap on some ones RFMA. Setting up a coyote bait station would definitly be against trapper regulations. In the old days many guys who trapped on someones RFMA never made it out of the bush. You can shoot a wolf while moose hunting. Almost all green area in Alberta is a Registered Fur Management Area.
So far as I know,
Setting up a bait station on a registered line for the purpose of hunting wolves, bears, or coyote is not illegal in of itself. It may be illegal for some species in some areas.

I do know that baiting bears on a registered trap line is legal even though trappers can hunt but not trap up to six Black Bear for their hides.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
The OP was inquiring about hunting/shooting coyotes and wolves, not trapping them. You can't stop people from hunting on an RFMA. Trapping on someone's RFMA is a whole different story.