Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Thank you Rick! The job the LFG did was amazing. Are you suggesting thank you letters for certain council members, if not all?
Great job once again and thanks so much!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 PM

So I'm curious. What was the exact reason for the closure of the range?

Good job to everyone that put in an effort to have the range saved/opened by the way.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
So I'm curious. What was the exact reason for the closure of the range?

Good job to everyone that put in an effort to have the range saved/opened by the way.
Why? Well that question was asked repeatedly. While the answers given were unsatisfactory to us and many members of council, it could be summarized like this:

Due to an incident that occurred in Oct 2011, City Admin. asked the LRPS to write a report looking at the issue of "bullet strikes" in the city. The report provided erroneously reported that bullets found in north Lethbridge were likely to have come from the range (I will leave it to individuals to decide whether this report was prepared from a "neutral" view). The report stated, again erroneously, that the range poses a "safety risk" to the public; in response the City Admin. closed the range.

City council reviewed the report and heard submissions from LRPS, City Admin. and the LFGA. 4 of the 7 council members present were ready to support reopening the range, apparently without prejudice. This was obviously unnacceptable to the Mayor, so he conspired with Ellis to delay any motion to reopen the range by Tabling the issue, which the majority o councillors supported (this is a courtesy often observed in civic politics) which delayed the issue for an additional 2 weeks.

The rest of the proceedings are well detailed in recent posts.

FYI, I am still looking for volunteers to represent the LFGA at the upcoming Outdoor Adventure Show and Sale at Exhibition Park Wed-Sat. this coming week.

Please send me a PM if you can help out for a few hours.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
The report provided erroneously reported that bullets found in north Lethbridge were likely to have come from the range.
"Likely." That's the part that really tells the whole story. There was no evidence of the bullets coming from the range. But someone felt it was enough. Enough for what exactly though? Enough to have the range closed and removed to repurpose the land for city projects? It certainly is an attractive piece of land.

The mayor's tactics are/were disgraceful.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM

From what I heard it wasn't even bullets found it was casings.

I didn't think a gun could eject a casing that far.

I think it was closed because of a stink that home owners above the range are putting up.

The range was there before they built their houses and they knew what it was going to be like. Now they want it changed because it is an inconvenience to them.

I am glad you guys are fighting for what is right. I hope you guys are successful and get to enjoy something you worked hard to keep.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Also From what I heard, it was the same guy who raised stink last time, and often makes complaints about the range. I too am glad we get to continue to use the range time for a new WEAPON of MASS DESTRUCTION
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
From what I heard it wasn't even bullets found it was casings
I think that rumor was due to some excellent reporting

In truth, there have been 3 incidents in the past 6 months. These involved actual bullets. The path of the bullets point to a different source than the range. It appears that there is someone with an SKS either negligently discharging their firearm OFF of the range, or there is someone intentionally doing this (also, from off the range).