Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
And it costs a fortune that average people just do not have to duplicate it. I just went through a few and only three shots made it. Do have a .22 452 target like Cats, though. Might try in the spring with a new Cooper.
i think that is the response the op was looking for. everyone has a 'wallet' group, one that is shot when all the planets and stars align.
problem is, that as soon some guys luck out and shoot one or two, they are all over the internet and bars telling the world what a tackdriver they have and what a super sniper they are.
a 1/2" agg. is NO easy feat, but quite do-able with today's quality of barrels and components, especially at 100 yds.
step er out to 5, 600 and further, start to play in the wind, and things get a little more tricky. lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM

This to me is about testing the gun not the shooter.

Butt rest, vise etc to make those shots. Good to know that your gun shoots so well so when you miss that deer you can't blame the gun you must blame yourself.

I think Cat is the better shot. I bet he was just using his bipod and shouldering the rifle.

Call me wrong but that's just what I see, I am no pro at shooting targets. I still can kill me deer and moose when needed. I do miss them sometimes still.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
No double --- check the thread on gunnutz again--- the original post had no such restrictions --- and I think it now has over 22,000 views. There are six sucessfull postings..none of them with what I would call hunting rifles. There is another thread, with the same challenge for factory varmint rigs to shoot under 0.75".
In any event They are having quite a discussion regarding what constitutes "factory". The challenge I put out does not restrict any rifle type.
Also, to quote the OPoster on gunnutz --the purpose is to "separate the talkers from the do'ers".
I stand corrected. I have only seen the "Factory hunting rifle thread".
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Easiest way for me is to measure outside to outside then subtract a calibre width, but at times I just measure outside to outside and be done with it.
My match rifles are designed to shot groups but to shoot scores past 500 meters, however, so I don't do a lot of shooting off the bags at 100 except to work up loads, then quite often I shoot ten shot groups.
Cat
If you subtract caliber diameter you will likely get a false measure - one actually smaller then the group really is. To be accurate, you need to measure a single hole on your sheet of paper and deduct this number from the group measure. Be sure to measure the same marks on the single hole as you do on the group hole.

If the group is a little larger so you have distinct holes on the two most extreme holes you can measure on the same side of each hole and not have to do any subtractions with a gage hole diameter (from the paper) or an actual caliber diameter which in most cases (if not all) will give you a false measure.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Groups are measured by subtracting the caliber from the outside-to-outside measurment which gives the center-to-center distance.

Following this procedure will yield false group sizes; I.E. smaller then actual. One needs to deduct the diameter of an actual independent hole on the same paper from the group hole or extreme spread.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Pretty simple you take the challenge or you don’t.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Pretty simple you take the challenge or you don’t.
Thankyou purgatory. That's the bottom line. As long as we all measure the same way, shoot five shots into 5 targets ... we are comparing apples to apples. I guess it is inevitable that some will attempt to purposely derail...not sure why? My bet, is in the end, the guys that post their "qualifying" groups as outlined in the OP, will not be the ones picking away at the rules...the picking seems to belong to talkers, not shooters.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM

I have no problem shootng 5 targets, but it's going to be a whle until I can get some more range time in.
Cat
Old 02-08-2013, 02:21 PM

thinkin witness's are needed anyone can shoot ragged one holes at 25m just a thought
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM

fox - I doubt that anybody would do that...the same fear was raised on the gunnutz thread and off the six who posted qualifying targets..all the rigs looked quite capable. I don't think people will cheat.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have no problem shootng 5 targets, but it's going to be a whle until I can get some more range time in.
Cat
Cat -- I feel your pain...when the gunnutz challenge came out I was in Palm Springs, of course I posted some "old" groups, but none with five on the same page, and the OP PM'd me to tell me to get with the program ....My first day back was Feb 1st, and you bet, I was at the Range.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Cat -- I feel your pain...when the gunnutz challenge came out I was in Palm Springs, of course I posted some "old" groups, but none with five on the same page, and the OP PM'd me to tell me to get with the program ....My first day back was Feb 1st, and you bet, I was at the Range.
Maybe I can shoot like you once I get back from Palm Desert too

I have a couple rifles I feel are up for the challenge....I'll see what I can drum up when I return!

LC
Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
fox - I doubt that anybody would do that...the same fear was raised on the gunnutz thread and off the six who posted qualifying targets..all the rigs looked quite capable. I don't think people will cheat.
I for one do not roll that way for sure, I'm an aove board guy, but I'm not about to go out in -30 and below and try to enjoy myself either!!
The thing about cheating on this is :
A : there are no prizes

B: the cheater would only be patting himself on the back, because this is not a really big thing unless one has to cheat to getrdun!

C: That same person may end up shootign with someone on a day that knows of this , and will get called out on it!

D: Much easier to just shoot and if you can't make the cut, so what?
Doesn't mean you can't kill a deer with the same rifle or even that you are a lousy shot.
Cat
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM

This sort of contest tests the rifle, shooter, and reloading skill. I am assuming most people who would engage in this would be reloading themselves. Lately I find that out if 5 **** grouping in the rifles I am shooting I seem to get 1 flyer...very annoying...not sure if it is me, rifle, or something I am messing up during reloading.

LC
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

That's incredibly impressive shooting 260 Rem........Congratulations!

Just a thought but if someone were to take you up on the challenge and there are no witnesses involved, how do you know that the person wouldn't just put up a piece of cardboard with a target in front of it to catch the powder burns at 10 yds?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Just a thought but if someone were to take you up on the challenge and there are no witnesses involved, how do you know that the person wouldn't just put up a piece of cardboard with a target in front of it to catch the powder burns at 10 yds?
There is no way, that is why i made post #43.
cat
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM

99% of shooters are honest, and as Cat mentioned, this is not a contest...mostly it is personal satisfaction--- and of course, the bragging rights
I have tried a couple of times since I shot the string on Feb 1st, and have not been able to repeat the sub 1/2" stuff for 5 straight groups. Very close, but no cigar. Just got another project back today, so that'll keep me busy.
I'm sure there will be lots of groups shot this weekend, weather is great.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
i think that is the response the op was looking for. everyone has a 'wallet' group, one that is shot when all the planets and stars align.
problem is, that as soon some guys luck out and shoot one or two, they are all over the internet and bars telling the world what a tackdriver they have and what a super sniper they are.
a 1/2" agg. is NO easy feat, but quite do-able with today's quality of barrels and components, especially at 100 yds.
step er out to 5, 600 and further, start to play in the wind, and things get a little more tricky. lee
So start a thread that has anyone post their best 500 yd group.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
So start a thread that has anyone post their best 500 yd group.
I have a really good one...witness signed from 500 yards but it is a 3 shot not a five shot group. Factory rifle no bedding or mods other than a trigger job I did myself.

LC
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Dale -- the 500 yard challenge will need to be your thread as most of us don't have a Range beyond 300M. Start it up.
Lefty... I had to spend a month in Palm Springs to oxygenate my optic nerves well enough to pull off the 5 group challenge.. Hey, shouldn't you be getting some sleep so you can keep up with your wife at the College of the Desert flea market on Sat?

Last edited by 260 Rem; 02-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Dale -- the 500 yard challenge will need to be your thread as most of us don't have a Range beyond 300M. Start it up.
I would but I was in waist deep snow struggling to get to 100 yds last Sunday. It will be a while till 500 meter shots are put on paper.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
If you subtract caliber diameter you will likely get a false measure - one actually smaller then the group really is. To be accurate, you need to measure a single hole on your sheet of paper and deduct this number from the group measure. Be sure to measure the same marks on the single hole as you do on the group hole.

If the group is a little larger so you have distinct holes on the two most extreme holes you can measure on the same side of each hole and not have to do any subtractions with a gage hole diameter (from the paper) or an actual caliber diameter which in most cases (if not all) will give you a false measure.

if you want to be very accurate with measuring groups ...
http://ontargetshooting.com/index.html
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Lefty... I had to spend a month in Palm Springs to oxygenate my optic nerves well enough to pull off the 5 group challenge.. Hey, shouldn't you be getting some sleep so you can keep up with your wife at the College of the Desert flea market on Sat?
We did that market last week and sadly we depart tomorrow at 11am....it gets me out of going to the market yet again

LC
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We did that market last week and sadly we depart tomorrow at 11am....it gets me out of going to the market yet again

LC
High praise for your strategic planning.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have a really good one...witness signed from 500 yards but it is a 3 shot not a five shot group. Factory rifle no bedding or mods other than a trigger job I did myself.

LC
A couple years ago at Burns Lake 1000 yd shoot a young lady shot a 3.25" group with a Rem 700 BDL in 7 mm Rem Mag. Hunter class, scope power 9X or less. Three shot group. Now that's a target worth saving!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 AM

Smile No one mentioned ammo

Personally I don't think the rifle is the biggest source of variation. I think it is the shooter, ammo, then rifle. I'd like to know what steps you went through to load this ammunition, pls don't leave anything out. Your results are impressive for sure.

As far as Cat is concerned, he has told me a number of times how he turns wrapping paper into targets, by sighting in on the first hole, but I'll donate the first $20.00 so we can see his work on ordinary targets.

I am very interested in your reloading procedure, it is obviously the best yet.

Lefty, Elk ? You guys shoot this well how do you make your match ammunition?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Personally I don't think the rifle is the biggest source of variation. I think it is the shooter, ammo, then rifle. I'd like to know what steps you went through to load this ammunition, pls don't leave anything out. Your results are impressive for sure.

As far as Cat is concerned, he has told me a number of times how he turns wrapping paper into targets, by sighting in on the first hole, but I'll donate the first $20.00 so we can see his work on ordinary targets.

I am very interested in your reloading procedure, it is obviously the best yet.

Lefty, Elk ? You guys shoot this well how do you make your match ammunition?
I think its rifle, ammo, then shooter. My daughter in law is not a shooter, but given a rifle on a rest that was zeroed at 500 meters, she proceeded to hit a 3" 600 ANSI blind flange at 500 meters three out of three shots. Many times at the range a young shooter will see the 500 yd gongs bouncing and mention there's no way he could make a shot like that. I always give them the opportunity to take the shot with my gear.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Looks like the weather in Central Alberta will preclude any 1/2" Challenge prospects from posting sucessfull groups shot on Saturday?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
A couple years ago at Burns Lake 1000 yd shoot a young lady shot a 3.25" group with a Rem 700 BDL in 7 mm Rem Mag. Hunter class, scope power 9X or less. Three shot group. Now that's a target worth saving!
Absolutely a target to be proud of! The one I shot at 500yards (laying prone off a bi-pod) measured 1.312 CTC....only person more surprised than my buddy was me . I was using my factory Remington 700 BDL .270win 22 inch barrel. Shooting a 130gr Sierra Game King.

LC
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Default Target

I'm a Bowhunter not a rifleman but I think this is one of the best challenges out there. I hear so many folks bragging about their shooting and saying they can do it "all day long." Nows the time to put up or shut up.