Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Default Pmo offices tells RCMP to return seized firearms ASAP.

Now I want to see people fired and charged. Queen Redford says this issue doesn't deserve so much attention. Sheesh.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/new...gh-river-homes
Old 06-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Taken from that link.

Quote:
“People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms … so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.”
People have significant amounts of money in televisions, computers, electronics,jewelery, etc, but I didn't hear anything about the RCMP taking those items, to hold for safe keeping.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Taken from that link.

People have significant amounts of money in televisions, computers, electronics,jewelery, etc, but I didn't hear anything about the RCMP taking those items, to hold for safe keeping.
Absolutely. That's because it's a big old bold face lie!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Hmm so they broke into these houses to seize firearms. Did they also install new locks when they left?

Way to prevent theft
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM

And it doesn't say how far they went to "protect" these firearms. Did they break into gun safes as well?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Alberta Premier Alison Redford defended the RCMP and said this shouldn't be the focus of attention.
I sent my email to queen Redford!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
And it doesn't say how far they went to "protect" these firearms. Did they break into gun safes as well?
Yes they did answer that question.....read the other thread.

No safe break ins....only the one's laying in the open.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post
No safe break ins....only the one's laying in the open.
so will the rightful owners get their unsafe storage citations in the mail or will they be ready when the guns are picked up?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
so will the rightful owners get their unsafe storage citations in the mail or will they be ready when the guns are picked up?
How much ya wanna bet the citations will be ready, and the owners will never see their guns again.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
We have no way of knowing if these firearms were not being stored legally. They may have had trigger locks installed or the bolt removed.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
We have no way of knowing if these firearms were not being stored legally. They may have had trigger locks installed or the bolt removed.
thats right....but im a cynic when it comes to the RCMP and their motives for taking the guns.

in time the truth will come out.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Cool

Those owners not exercising due diligence in the safe storage of their firearms ultimately gives a black eye to all in the firearms community.

What constitutes safe storage to me is; bolt removed or trigger/action lock PLUS stored in a gun safe or gun cabinet secured to an immovable object (IE wall mounted).

I highly doubt the RCMP were calling in locksmiths or contractors to crack safes. They likely just scooped guns carelessly laying about as any looter can readily do.

Firearms Act is Federal jurisdiction. No "citations" (an American term) in the mail folks. But, potentially some repercussions for the lax if the Federal Crown Prosecutor elects to act on a warrantless search of private property (problematic at best).

Just my opinion...

-Willy
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Some people had less than an hour from first warning until they were forced out. I imagine a lot moved the firearms to the top level of their home. The police should have been more understanding of this. If you have an hour, there's only so much you can do. If you have children too, your time is very very limited.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
What constitutes safe storage to me is; bolt removed or trigger/action lock PLUS stored in a gun safe or gun cabinet secured to an immovable object (IE wall mounted).
Your idea of what constitutes safe storage, does not agree with the legal definition for non restricted firearms. And only the legal definition matters.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

Quote:
Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or

Lock the firearms in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into.
If the firearms were stored legally, they should have been left where they were.

Quote:
Those owners not exercising due diligence in the safe storage of their firearms ultimately gives a black eye to all in the firearms community.
If the firearms were stored legally, the black eye is on the RCMP, not the firearms owners.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-28-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Wink

I read your link and I am correct for NON-RESTRICTED firearms. I am unsure what the mix of seized restricted/non-restricted/prohibited was, as that is not detailed in any press release.

You must mean I am incorrect, specifically, for prohibited or restricted firearms in which case you are right.

In the case of a prohibited or restricted firearm the bolt must be locked separate from the firearm.

-Willy

Quote:
Your idea of what constitutes safe storage, does not agree with the legal definition for non restricted firearms.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

If the firearms were stored legally, they should have been left where they were.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post

I highly doubt the RCMP were calling in locksmiths or contractors to crack safes. They likely just scooped guns carelessly laying about as any looter can readily do.

Firearms Act is Federal jurisdiction. No "citations" (an American term) in the mail folks. But, potentially some repercussions for the lax if the Federal Crown Prosecutor elects to act on a warrantless search of private property (problematic at best).

Just my opinion...

-Willy
Opinions are like *****holes....everybody's got one! Fortunately we have these little things called laws that define what is actually required, and that is all that matters. And before you ask in my household it is a locked solid core door, trigger locks, bolts removed and locked in safe......but that is because I have kids not because of the law!

If they were illegally stored it needs to be determined if it was because they were moved in a rush to protect from flood, or always stored that way. If someone did have a firearm sitting in plain view and not properly stored, then they might be in trouble.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I read your link and I am correct for NON-RESTRICTED firearms
No you are not correct, the difference between your version and the actual regulation for non restricted firearms is that the regulation uses an "OR" where you use a "PLUS" . With a non restricted firearms, if you remove the bolt, or use a trigger lock, you aren't required to lock the firearm in a cabinet, container or room. And if you lock them in a cabinet, container or room, you aren't required to remove the bolt, or use a trigger lock.

Quote:
In the case of a prohibited or restricted firearm the bolt must be locked separate from the firearm.
That is not even remotely what the regulations specify for a restricted or prohibited firearm. That only applies for automatic firearms. You might want to do some reading, and learn the actual regulations.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post

Just my opinion...

-Willy
If you have no conditions on your licence you’re locked and secure home should be enough.
But I am not an expert in dancing with the interpretation of the rules.
I also don’t control who visit your home which should influence how you interpret the rules.
So in my world they are controlled.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I have never clearly understood the safe storage requirements.

So is locking ones guns in a room, considered safe storage? Apparently.
If so, then wouldn't a locked house constitute the same thing?
After all, a house is really just a large room. But apparently not.

Then I think, what is more secure then a locked house being guarded by a battalion of police officers?

For the first forty years of my life, common sense seemed to be enough.

Now, even a locked house, a flood and a battalion of police officers is not enough. Apparently.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 PM

I love how it says "The guns will be returned to owners after residents are allowed back in town and they provide proof of ownership, Topham added."

How many people can provide proof of ownership for a firearm that they bought 2nd hand, now that the registry is gone?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 PM

The only proof of ownership they are apparently going to be asking for is your PAL and a piece of ID identifying that you live at the resident the firearms were taken from.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 PM

It would be quite interesting if firearms are reported missing from a home that the RCMP broke into, and the RCMP do not have those firearms?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 PM

I am not so sure the rcmp had authority to do anything other than check for people in those houses.

Does anyone know what they are legally allowed to do in these situations? Or just aim me at a document please and I will sift through it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I am not so sure the rcmp had authority to do anything other than check for people in those houses.

Does anyone know what they are legally allowed to do in these situations? Or just aim me at a document please and I will sift through it.
Anything they want when they're backed by the likes of Red Al. Who's going to stop them?

Obviously, laws are of no concern or maybe concept in their line of duty. They don't follow laws, they just make them. (unenthusiastic icon face)

But seriously, I'm annoyed by what has taken place. Can you tell?

Last edited by just_dave; 06-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
How much ya wanna bet the citations will be ready, and the owners will never see their guns again.
Doubt it.... if there is any question as to the legality of their actions... they'll lose in court.
Besides... that question was answeed in the other thread as well.

Looks like some who had theirs loaded might have a bit to worry bout but thats all.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:59 PM

I may have had a few too many rums tonight but theres no tellin what I'd do if that was my house in that video, man alive! Door to door like they got any business in my house, WTF!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 PM

Like, how many closets and beds did they have to open up, look in, under, flip over to find all these firearms?

How many of you keep your locked up firearms on the kitchen counter? I mean, stop doing that.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
thats right....but im a cynic when it comes to the RCMP and their motives for taking the guns.

But how will any of us know whats truth and what isnt?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
It would be quite interesting if firearms are reported missing from a home that the RCMP broke into, and the RCMP do not have those firearms?
HAHAHAH no kidding