Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Dick,

For those of us who weren't able to make it out for what was undoubtedly a GREAT time. Let us in on the AO usernames of the guys who have won the event.

Then we can know who to hold in high regard or cut some slack to when they speak about marksmanship.

Thanks, man!

sns2
Well I will tell you this....quite a few of the folks who were top notch shooters today were some young guys from down South who are not on the forum....as far as I know.

These kids were smacking a wolf gong from field positions consistently past 400 yards....and hitting it where it needed to be hit for a clean kill....

Backwoods Runner was the victor in the long range grandprix with as perfect a vital shot as was possible on the target with the lowly .270winchester in a factory Tikka....and wouldn't you know, he is a left handed shooter!

And he was the proud recipient of the Jimmy Mc award as well!

I think Dick284 has won this so many times they had to build another level on the trophy just for him

As far as how I did I was one slot out of the money for overall score so I was tickled pink to even be able to be competitive with the likes of the guys who were in the money!

LC
Old 08-25-2013, 05:47 AM

Sounds like I missed another great shoot!
Were those southern Boyz the crowd that frequents the Ponoka Rodeo?
There are two families that are crazy accurate.....
Cat
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 AM

It couldnt have been a better day weather wise. The reworked range looks fantastic. I wished i lived closer.
my compliments to the 'pumpkinheads' and rich (and/or Evergreen RR) for the hardwork.
fantastic event except for getting outshot by juniors on almost every event.....and im Ok with that
i think the youngest was 9.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 PM

One huge eye opener for me was that approx 85-90% of hunters should not shoot at a running deer....even at distances under 200 yards!

Myself included!

LC
Old 08-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
One huge eye opener for me was that approx 85-90% of hunters should not shoot at a running deer....even at distances under 200 yards!

Myself included!

LC
That's a good eye-eopener for all of us
Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM

I had a great time myself! I didn't do all that well in the shoot but my daughter learned a lot and I got to meet a lot of good people.

Will def be back next year.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 PM

First overall: Duceman's son James.
2nd overall, a bloke named Jeffery, from the same neck of the woods as Duceman.
3red overall was taken by our very own Predator.

Top youth was Moo Snuckle's boy Adam, with an impressive score, equalling and bettering that which was posted by 3/4 of the adult shooters.

The turn out was fantastic with 35 shooters( yes we had last minute cancellations)

The food was a hit with Predator slow smoking 3 huge pork butts, for the best pulled pork I've ever tasted.

Mrs. D, Mrs. Duce, and Mrs. Gitrdun, along with 2 other hard charging Mrs' arranged, and filled in a lot of the finer details to the meal.
Hogie brought a tasty broccoli salad
Gitrdun, brought corn on the cob.
Caesar salad
And all the rest.
Then there was Leverfreak44 and his guitar work around the 1000lb crusher cone fire pit.........wow is all I can say.

35 actual doers, including 7 youths.

Life off the couch has never been better!

There are no absolutes
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM

Default couch shoot

Dick, next year let it float there'll be position shots that involve shooting from an old couch. That'll bring more challengers out from behind their keyboards. ;-)
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM

A truck door with a window roll half way. Perhaps install a large mirror on it so that
it feels familiar to 30 per cent of our deer hunter. Just an idea!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM

hey Rich, sounds like you had a great event. Nice to see you had 9 youth shooters ! They are the future and having that great family event atmosphere makes it comfortable and helps get them out, One of these years I'll make it back, but as long as the season opens here on the 15th its gonna be a tough thing to do ! Now back to skinnin
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorf View Post
A truck door with a window roll half way. Perhaps install a large mirror on it so that
it feels familiar to 30 per cent of our deer hunter. Just an idea!
Ooooo, ouch! lol. We just got home from the event and unloaded a few essentials out of the trailer. You know this is top notch when your wife and grandson both announce that they look forward to next year's rodeo. Met up with old friends and made new ones. Last nite I counted 41 people around the campfire. Before the official event, we shot our F class rigs, my grandson, announced after shooting my 6 BR that he "needed" one, not wanted, but needed. Gage was indeed the youngest shooter at a ripe 9 yrs. old.

Anyhow, I was the somewhat unofficial designated photographer, so I'll be posting a lot of pictures, so stay tuned. BTW, we even had a media photographer on site, very encouraging to see this event receive the well dserved attention it deserves.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I had a great time myself! I didn't do all that well in the shoot but my daughter learned a lot and I got to meet a lot of good people.

Will def be back next year.
It was a pleasure to meet you Hogie and your daughter as well. She seemed a bit shy at first around all dem dar rednecks, but she quickly warmed up to us all and opened up. It was trully a treat to see a young lady participate with her own gun.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

Another thing that needs mentioning. This event is attended by top notch shooters of all discipline. Bench rest, F class and silhouette, not to mention gunsmiths such as uncle Bob, reloading gurus the likes of duceman and wicked cooks (predator). If one has an inclination to learn anything, even a new language, don't miss it.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM

It was an absolute honor receiving the Jimmy Mc. award and I had to really work for winning the wolf shoot; scrarry GOOD young shooters out there. Yes Lefty; I know you're jealous of the LOWLY 270 Win. on steroids but I am sure you will see it again.
As usual Dick put on a top notch show. It just keeps getting better.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
It was an absolute honor receiving the Jimmy Mc. award and I had to really work for winning the wolf shoot; scrarry GOOD young shooters out there. Yes Lefty; I know you're jealous of the LOWLY 270 Win. on steroids but I am sure you will see it again.
As usual Dick put on a top notch show. It just keeps getting better.
Yah that lowly .270 Winchester, read the posts here and some folks insist it shoots like a rainbow and isn't big enough for anything larger than a gopher ....has been my mainstay rifle for many years, as it was to my Father before he passed....

I actually had his rifle with me, maybe I should I have used it

Congrats to you on your achievements at the rifle rodeo!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-25-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM

another fantastic weekend in the heart of redneck country; although we may have brought most of that with us!!

lots of people to send a big thanks out to; a proper sponsor list will be forthcoming.

for now, obviously dick284, for finally getting off the couch and organizing another great event!

bob at custom gunworx, for lining up a sponsor to supply a couple awesome silhouettes, one of a lifesize wolf, and a lifesize coyote. great entertainment as we shot for the cash at around 400m.

backwoods runner has apparently found the only 270 win in the world that will lob a bullet that far, and with awesome consistency. (my sources tell me you won that by an error in judgement of 1 click on a 6x42)

a second thanks to bob for managing to keep his great cheescake making wife on board!! thanks again linda!

predator for putting his new smoker to work and getting up half the night checking it; superb supper and and even better midnight snack. also for bringing the theft proof fire pit, where all the real fun was had.

thanks to leverfreak94 for the campfire guitar
freinds of mine for coming up to watch and man the lunch barbque, it really sped up the day eating on the fly.

last, but certainly not least, all the wives and family cor coming along, making a fun shoot for the guys a great weekend for the family, looking after meal preps and providing a cheering section! nice to go to a shoot that is not a total sausage fest!

it's gonna be great to look at the fred wilkining memorial trophy for the next year; duceman jr. is certainly honored to share a space on there with the likes of gorf and dick284 among others.

backwoods runner recieving the jimmy mc award is very fitting, if any one lives up to the spirit in which it was conceived, it is gene, congratulations freind.

working on a list of scores and sponsors, stay tuned, lee
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Default New events

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Dick, next year let it float there'll be position shots that involve shooting from an old couch. That'll bring more challengers out from behind their keyboards. ;-)
I was thinking maybe the "Hyper-typer-Sniper" event, set up an old desk with a laptop sitting on it. You could use the laptop as a rest and lobe pot shot down range, we just need to figure out how simulate the shooters mommy's basement to add that extra authentic feel!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I was thinking maybe the "Hyper-typer-Sniper" event, set up an old desk with a laptop sitting on it. You could use the laptop as a rest and lobe pot shot down range, we just need to figure out how simulate the shooters mommy's basement to add that extra authentic feel!
LMAO.....now that is an event to behold.

LC
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
...dick284, for finally getting off the couch and organizing another great event!'...
Phew! I sure am glad that the one shoot, once a year is over!
Now Dick can really go back to his couch, and start thinking about next year. You don't want to rush getting back outside. All of that reality can overcome ones imagination rather quickly.

Attending one shoot, or even organizing one, once every 12 months does not disqualify you from being a couch rider. Congratulations?

Don't get me wrong. It sounded like a great event, and I'm sure all that attended had a great time, as it should be.

Looking forward to hearing all about it again. Next year. Until then, keep those butts firmly on those couches, reminiscing about the one time you actually went outside, and dipped your toe in reality.

That one shoot really must take a lot out of you.

R.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
Phew! I sure am glad that the one shoot, once a year is over!
Now Dick can really go back to his couch, and start thinking about next year. You don't want to rush getting back outside. All of that reality can overcome ones imagination rather quickly.

Attending one shoot, or even organizing one, once every 12 months does not disqualify you from being a couch rider. Congratulations?

Don't get me wrong. It sounded like a great event, and I'm sure all that attended had a great time, as it should be.

Looking forward to hearing all about it again. Next year. Until then, keep those butts firmly on those couches, reminiscing about the one time you actually went outside, and dipped your toe in reality.

That one shoot really must take a lot out of you.

R.
I'm not sure what your problem is rman; but why don't you take a flying ........at a rolling donut. Didn't see your name on the participant list or even show any interest in the event, other than to beek off from your office chair.
For a shooter to show up at one of these events, and have a top 10 showing in it, let alone win it 11 times, consecutively 6 years in a row, is remarkable, and not accomplished by not putting a pile of trigger time.
Perhaps if you had a friggin clue who people are, or what they were capable of, you'd shut your piehole.
If you ever feel you want to put your bullets where your yap is, give Duceman a call and actually get out of your mom's basement, lets see what you got.
Other wise, contribute something useful or #$% off.

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 08-26-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgazinya View Post
I'm not sure what your problem is rman; but why don't you take a flying %^$#$% at a rolling donut. Didn't see your name on the participant list or even show any interest in the event, other than to beek off from your office chair.
For a shooter to show up at one of these events, and have a top 10 showing in it, let alone win it 11 times, consecutively 6 years in a row, is remarkable, and not accomplished by not putting a pile of trigger time.
Perhaps if you had a friggin clue who people are, or what they were capable of, you'd shut your piehole.
If you ever feel you want to put your bullets where your yap is, give Duceman a call and actually get out of your mom's basement, lets see what you got.
Other wise, contribute something useful or #$% off.
X2
Here is someone who has no clue but yet doesn't let that stop them from beaking off. Why don't you come out to an event like this? Looking around you would notice how much work goes into pulling this off. You would see some damn fine quality shooters. Most importantly, you would see SMILES all around. Until you do so, shut your pie hole!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

You take pot shots from the peanut gallery, get the attention you want, and whine about it when you get it? Typical.
The last thing anyone would ever want to see is my name on a participant list for that "shoot". Somehow I just feel that me, or other guys just like me would not be made to feel overly welcome?
Also, the shooter that wins any event, regardless of what it is, is only as good, or slightly better, than the rest of the shooters that show up. I think ranting and raving about how well a 9 year kid does at that "shoot" speaks volumes of the "competition". I find it very convenient that even in your post, you confess that they don't shoot a bunch.
Unlike most, I read sign very well. I have defiantly figured out who people really "are" from reading posts, just like yours. I have figured out that they are capable of great imaginary things, and that they like to call people out when reality interferes with that imagination.
Why are you volunteering Dueceman to shoot for you, or? What exactly?Can't manage it on your own? I'm sure he would want to meet with a posse of his "buddies" as well, and show me "what's up". Laughable.
I deal in truth and reality, and have gained much experience by actually going outside and doing things. I can assure you that when it comes to bullets and spent primers, I shoot more than my fair share.
I'll let this drift back to where it should have gone. Be careful what you wish for with the comments, as there is no bandage for hurt feelers...

R.

Last edited by Rman; 08-26-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM

You should appreciate a shooting event that allows a 9 yr old to participate in the youth events or any shooting event that allows any participation.

Without these things there is little future for shooting sports....please hold the neg comments for another time and thread folks.

LC
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Rman

IT gives me a great amount of pleasure to place you on my ignore list
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM

It would have been awesome to make that event, and I hope to register for it next year,.... Glad it went well and good to see the youth turnout.

Rman... you are way off base man.... yapping and taking potshots without anything to back yourself up. You are a real piece of work. On this discussion forum I take the odd potshot at people, in humor, jest or even sarcasm... and Dick284 has been the receipt of that at times, but he is a big boy and looks after himself.

That being said the amount of time, work and energy invokved in outting on an event like this once is a great acheivement to do it consistently every year is much more awesome, this is a way of giving back to the community, and thruogh his stellar example others follow suit and help out as well and then it is all a fun event.

With all the work and event like this requires many times the volunteers doing it wonder if it is all worth it....... and they don't look for payment or renumeration, but the smile on a 9year old kids face is all the thanks a guy needs.

Fortunately for every dunce like R-man there are folks out there like D284 and others that actually DO sometheing rather than yap and snarl like a little rat dog.

It is at events like these that true colours come out often, and fortunately it usually brings out the best. I will never forget at an archery event I had the privelege of hosting watching a fellow win a Junior bow on a draw to go give it to a young fellow whose parents were on a very tight budget, and every time I meet that man I always shake his hand and introduce him as a great example to my own kids....

I take posts like yours Rman and show them to my kids so that they can recognise an arsehole behind the keyboard... much like you what you refer to on reading sign....

This was not about scores, or shooting, or competition, it was about fun first and all the rest is secondary.

Thanks D and I hope I can register and make it next year!....
Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
It would have been awesome to make that event, and I hope to register for it next year,.... Glad it went well and good to see the youth turnout.

Rman... you are way off base man.... yapping and taking potshots without anything to back yourself up. You are a real piece of work. On this discussion forum I take the odd potshot at people, in humor, jest or even sarcasm... and Dick284 has been the receipt of that at times, but he is a big boy and looks after himself.

That being said the amount of time, work and energy invokved in outting on an event like this once is a great acheivement to do it consistently every year is much more awesome, this is a way of giving back to the community, and thruogh his stellar example others follow suit and help out as well and then it is all a fun event.

With all the work and event like this requires many times the volunteers doing it wonder if it is all worth it....... and they don't look for payment or renumeration, but the smile on a 9year old kids face is all the thanks a guy needs.

Fortunately for every dunce like R-man there are folks out there like D284 and others that actually DO sometheing rather than yap and snarl like a little rat dog.

It is at events like these that true colours come out often, and fortunately it usually brings out the best. I will never forget at an archery event I had the privelege of hosting watching a fellow win a Junior bow on a draw to go give it to a young fellow whose parents were on a very tight budget, and every time I meet that man I always shake his hand and introduce him as a great example to my own kids....

I take posts like yours Rman and show them to my kids so that they can recognise an arsehole behind the keyboard... much like you what you refer to on reading sign....

This was not about scores, or shooting, or competition, it was about fun first and all the rest is secondary.

Thanks D and I hope I can register and make it next year!....
For the record, I didn't start this little tiff. Your hero Dick did, on another thread. That was left to die as it should.
I'm glad you show my posts to your kid. Hopefully it will improve his grammar, spelling, reading comprehension, and more importantly, his ability to separtate fact from fiction.
Again, I didn't start this, and find much amusement that this is lost on most everyone here.
Putting on an event like this is not easy, and yes, I would know. Again, I am glad a good time was had by all that attendened, and I am sure the whole thing will be repeated again, 12 months from now.

R.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
For the record, I didn't start this little tiff. Your hero Dick did, on another thread. That was left to die as it should.
I'm glad you show my posts to your kid. Hopefully it will improve his grammar, spelling, reading comprehension, and more importantly, his ability to separtate fact from fiction.
Again, I didn't start this, and find much amusement that this is lost on most everyone here.
Putting on an event like this is not easy, and yes, I would know. Again, I am glad a good time was had by all that attendened, and I am sure the whole thing will be repeated again, 12 months from now.

R.
What childish antics! You feel slighted from what was said in another thread and thus feel the need to attempt to cast a shadow on this thread. What a piece of work you are!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM

back on track people
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You take pot shots from the peanut gallery, get the attention you want, and whine about it when you get it? Typical.
The last thing anyone would ever want to see is my name on a participant list for that "shoot". Somehow I just feel that me, or other guys just like me would not be made to feel overly welcome?
Also, the shooter that wins any event, regardless of what it is, is only as good, or slightly better, than the rest of the shooters that show up. I think ranting and raving about how well a 9 year kid does at that "shoot" speaks volumes of the "competition". I find it very convenient that even in your post, you confess that they don't shoot a bunch.
Unlike most, I read sign very well. I have defiantly figured out who people really "are" from reading posts, just like yours. I have figured out that they are capable of great imaginary things, and that they like to call people out when reality interferes with that imagination.
Why are you volunteering Dueceman to shoot for you, or? What exactly?Can't manage it on your own? I'm sure he would want to meet with a posse of his "buddies" as well, and show me "what's up". Laughable.
I deal in truth and reality, and have gained much experience by actually going outside and doing things. I can assure you that when it comes to bullets and spent primers, I shoot more than my fair share.
I'll let this drift back to where it should have gone. Be careful what you wish for with the comments, as there is no bandage for hurt feelers...

R.
well rman, we agree on a couple things. you're right, no one at the shoot would have put up with 5 minutes of your crap and arrogant attitude.
and since crap attracts flies, i'm sure we wouldn't want any of your buddies around either.
if you feel threatened by shooting against juniors in another class, that's understandable; and what the shoot is about. with the coaching the juniors get at this event, you will move up in classes quickly.
i imagine the reference in shooting with me and my 'buddies' was prompted because i have a place to shoot.
but let's go one better. there's an f-class shoot at homestead on sept 15. 2+15 at 7, 8, and 900 meters. any one can come, pay and shoot.
if there's no competion there for ya, maybe you could coach us to your level.
ask to borrow your mom's scooter, your sister's helmet, put on some glasses so the sun doesn't burn the retinas out of your eyes as they adjust
coming out the basement, load your gear and let's do some shooting!
lee
Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
back on track people
Pixel has a point we have let this thread get a little off course, and on AO of all places

Anyways this was my first time at this type of event, I took my 12 year old son and man did we ever have a great time. This event is certainly set up to make every level of shooter feel welcome. I lucked out on the "front on deer, going 3 for 3 from the wrong shoulder and "won" that event in a shoot-out, like I said luck was on my side to pull that off! It was a great group of "good ole boys" that like to shoot, share and some even sing! It was amazing to see to see so many young shooters, age 15-20 that were very good, they must have some great mentors! If the future of shooting rests on these lads shoulders, it is in good hands.

Many thanks to all involved, especially Dick, Bob and Duce for keeping things moving and on track. Everyone who helped with food, Predator I need your bbq sauce recipe. And of course the sponsors and the guys who lined them up, no one went away empty handed.

Here is how the weekend looked through my eyes:

Deluxe accommodations

My boy on the line under the watchful eye of Bob, I cant say enough about how great everyone was to my son.

A young lady on the line, careful she seems quiet at first but once you get her talking you may change your mind

And lastly what most of us really came for a chance to relax outside with some great people, friends (new and old), share a drink maybe and a story or two.

Thanks again to all who helped make this past weekend so great and congratulations to everyone who won.