Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
So are you saying you missed where you were aiming?
i think so too, hit the meat at back of paddle bone but he definitely missed the mark, i think it was the holdover....if dialed up instead of 'guessed' all the time then he would have dropped right there, a ballistic tip still might have helped him out but that shot placement sure leaves something to be desired
Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i think so too, hit the meat at back of paddle bone but he definitely missed the mark, i think it was the holdover....if dialed up instead of 'guessed' all the time then he would have dropped right there, a ballistic tip still might have helped him out but that shot placement sure leaves something to be desired
Oh that's hilarious.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Well your just shooting to high man get it a little lower!!! Did you get that sheep on video. I'd pay to see that one.
I will bashfully admit that hitting him on the move at 430 yds was a trifle impressive.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
So are you saying you missed where you were aiming? I'm not sure what your point is.
Reality is often found outside of fantasy. That is exactly why knitting with Jackie Bushman in a box blind while you wait for a double shoulder presentation on a doughnut eating bear is fraught with stupid and outside most of our hunting experience.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Banned

the funniest part of the 'brown bear' thread is when a picture of a mule deer showed up, i'm going to try and one up that
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
the funniest part of the 'brown bear' thread is when a picture of a mule deer showed up, i'm going to try and one up that
Too late. SH already posted a sheep killing video and a close shave ahead of my picture. You can't top it so don't try.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Reality is often found outside of fantasy. That is exactly why knitting with Jackie Bushman in a box blind while you wait for a double shoulder presentation on a doughnut eating bear is fraught with stupid and outside most of our hunting experience.
LOL...patience is often a virtue.....it often involves a lot less lead flinging if you wait for the ideal shot. If it doesn't present itself then, as I've explained several times in this thread, you start playing the other angles but I'm always looking for one shoulder if two aren't there. I could have shot at that Dall ram a hundred times over the course of a couple days but by waiting for the perfect shot, I was able to put him down on the spot. It took me eight days to get into that position. Why rush and miss where you want the bullet to hit as indicated with your mule deer? I must admit though that the scarf Jackie knit me while we were waiting did keep me warm

I wasn't aware baiting grizzlies was legal. For black bears on bait, time is your friend and other than in rare cases, you've got hours to wait for the perfect shot. I would say when time is on your side, waiting for a perfect shot is anything but stupid! Perhaps if you weren't so anxious to shoot you might have seen many more double shoulder opportunities! Other times you need to get things done.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
LOL...patience is often a virtue.....it often involves a lot less lead flinging if you wait for the ideal shot. If it doesn't present itself then, as I've explained several times in this thread, you start playing the other angles but I'm always looking for one shoulder if two aren't there. I could have shot at that Dall ram a hundred times over the course of a couple days but by waiting for the perfect shot, I was able to put him down on the spot. It took me eight days to get into that position. Why rush and miss where you want the bullet to hit as indicated with your mule deer? I must admit though that the scarf Jackie knit me while we were waiting did keep me warm

I wasn't aware baiting grizzlies was legal. For black bears on bait, time is your friend and other than in rare cases, you've got hours to wait for the perfect shot. I would say when time is on your side, waiting for a perfect shot is anything but stupid! Perhaps if you weren't so anxious to shoot you might have seen many more double shoulder opportunities! Other times you need to get things done.
I've never been afraid to make a perfect shot out of any angle. Maybe when I get old I'll be more patient as I sit with my knitted scarf.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I've never been afraid to make a perfect shot out of any angle.
Apparently that doesn't always work out so well for you...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Apparently that doesn't always work out so well for you...
Don't believe everything you hear from that slanderous piece of garbage. Remind him that people in glass houses should NEVER throw stones.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Don't believe everything you hear from that slanderous piece of garbage. Remind him that people in glass houses should NEVER throw stones.
Actually I was thinking more of the mule deer you just posted and didn't your elk require a few shots? I think you posted that here but please correct me if I'm wrong. I've only heard the stories of your ram but don't know if they are true or not so I would never bring it up.

I'll never claim to be a great shot so I'm content to wait for a shot that stacks the odds in my favour especially with as the OP asked about, a brown bear.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Actually I was thinking more of the mule deer you just posted and didn't your elk require a few shots? I think you posted that here but please correct me if I'm wrong. I've only heard the stories of your ram but don't know if they are true or not so I would never bring it up.

I'll never claim to be a great shot so I'm content to wait for a shot that stacks the odds in my favour
You just did bring it up.

The Elk in question took three shots to the boiler room while he went 20 yds if only because I had the ability to do it.

And yes I missed the tennis ball sized shoulder knuckle on that Mule Deer by an inch at 390 yds using a Kentucky Holdover. Taking a double lung hit as second prize.

Maybe old dead eye would like to shoot for pink slips if he thinks I can't shoot? Laughing.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I will bashfully admit that hitting him on the move at 430 yds was a trifle impressive.
shooting at an animal on the move at 430 yards, is a trifle questionable.....too bad you were out by 1 inch????
Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
QUOTE=chuck;836304Maybe old dead eye would like to shoot for pink slips if he thinks I can't shoot? Laughing.[
LOL...I have absolutely no doubt you could kill paper way deader than me chuck......no sense wasting the bullets.....I conceed.

Quote:
The Elk in question took three shots to the boiler room while he went 20 yds if only because I had the ability to do it.
Not questioning your ability to pull off the incredible shot Chuck. I've just seen elk go down so much faster with one shot, I guess perhaps 209 just waited for a shot within his ability too.

Anyhow, this thread has been entertaining but I think I'm done. As for the original question, I'd take my 375H&H and I'd be patient and wait for an opportunity to bust some bone in the shoulder or shoulders......likely at the advice of my guide

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-17-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Not questioning your ability to pull off the incredible shot Chuck. I've just seen elk go down so much faster with one shot, I guess perhaps 209 just waited for a shot within his ability too.
There is absolutely nothing incredible about the shooting or a Bull Elk going 20 or 30 yds after being hit.

I do thank you though for informing me that a friend finds the need to stab me in the back out of petty jealousy or self gratification. It's a nice touch.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
shooting at an animal on the move at 430 yards, is a trifle questionable.....too bad you were out by 1 inch????
Spare me the self righteous babble and at least get your story straight.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM

Chuck, you have been avoiding many of my comments on shot placement and outfitter recommendations on Alaskan Brown Bears.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe old dead eye would like to shoot for pink slips if he thinks I can't shoot? Laughing.

Chuck, a mans actions and words tend to seperate the MEN from the BOYS more so than a shooting contest. Some day when you grow up I'll explain it to you.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Okay...see you edited it to 390 yards...whatever. your user name should be Ted Peck, check with sportsman cigarettes, they sponsor heroes like you.....
Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post

Chuck, a mans actions and words tend to seperate the MEN from the BOYS more so than a shooting contest. Some day when you grow up I'll explain it to you.
I hope to be half the man you say you are someday.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Thread seems to have gotten off track. I've got a dusty .338 staring at me, begging for a target. If my wife won the lottery, I'd be confident using that.

Grizz
Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Chuck no matter how good you think you are at the range you can't practice on a running deer on a regular basis at 400 yards. Skill had nothing to do with it, you got lucky and if you think you didn't your a foolish man.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Chuck, you have been avoiding many of my comments on shot placement and outfitter recommendations on Alaskan Brown Bears.
You are saying what they apparently say. I've never asked one to know for sure. Keep in mind an outfitter is cleaning up your mess half the time and it's easier to kill a bear on the ground than one shot in the arse. That's if things go exactly as planned.

If I told my guide that I was going to shoot my bear in the top of the heart/lungs and hit bone either going in or out can you imagine him saying "don't you dare"? I mean really.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Okay...see you edited it to 390 yards...whatever. your user name should be Ted Peck, check with sportsman cigarettes, they sponsor heroes like you.....
I edited nothing. Go back and read. You have confused two separate yardages and two separate animals.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
Chuck no matter how good you think you are at the range you can't practice on a running deer on a regular basis at 400 yards. Skill had nothing to do with it, you got lucky and if you think you didn't your a foolish man.
I'm lucky allot. For some reason that makes people mad.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Between the pics of the Black bears and the Mule deer, I thought I would post a pic of a Brown bear.

Jamie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fgallery1-5[1].jpg (69.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
The deer wasnt shot running at 400 yards.

A guy really needs to read this whole thread to realize that there are people talking about different animals, different ranges, different everything.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I edited nothing. Go back and read. You have confused two separate yardages and two separate animals.
whatever...edit as you please...shooting at a moving target at plus or minus 400 yards, puts you a rookie...have fun wounding stuff!!!!...You Sir are a fine piece of work for the young lads and girls that are just starting out, to read your idiotic posts about marginal shots....have fun, hope you never miss by more than an inch on a running animal ay 400 yards....!!! (little range practice will get that annoying problem out of the way)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
I'm with LongDraw on this one
Closed Thread