Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Default MOA question

I will be getting a vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44 which is SFP. Im wondering is it possible to calculate the MOA if your zoom is not at the highest power. Or how would I calculate lets say 8x power.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyC View Post
I will be getting a vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44 which is SFP. Im wondering is it possible to calculate the MOA if your zoom is not at the highest power. Or how would I calculate lets say 8x power.
If you intend to use any reticle to calculate range or to ‘hold-over’ you really need to verify its calibration and accuracy by using your own testing.

I suggest you get a big piece of 1” graph paper (I use flip over presentation pads) try to get paper with lines heavy enough to be seen with your scope at minimum power, (or the lines can be bolded using a sharpie and a straight edge). Mark a target center cross (I prefer a diagonal X, as it is not obscured by the reticle) to use as a POA. Set your rifle in a solid rest or sandbags, aligned with your target POA.

You can then observe and verify that your reticle subtensions are accurate and how their values change with magnification. You can also verify that your turrets are actually moving the amount claimed and by ‘boxing the scope’ can verify movement function and repeatability. The final test should be to ‘box the scope’ by firing five x three shot groups at the box corners in sequence, group 5 should be on top of and aligned with group 1, and then a final group with the scope reticle centered.

To answer your original question, yes you can use your reticle at other than calibrated magnification, but the amount of correction will require quick mental math that few of us can perform accurately under pressure. ½ magnification is by far the easiest to calculate provided that you have properly understood the relationship between reticle and target when both ranging and holding over. Note that most scope magnification scales are less than perfect and actual ½ magnification may not be where the scope says it is. NF has a small dot on the magnification ring to indicate the ½ magnification point.

Good Luck, YMMV.