Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-15-2022, 09:38 AM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SherwoodPark AB
Posts: 112
Default Nocturnal Buck problems

Hey everyone, this is my first year bow hunting and have a couple questions for some of the more experienced guys and galls. I have a quarter section property (160 or so acres) that Iíve been planning to bow hunt, I have 2 cameras up at the moment and have a couple bucks, one shooter consistently on camera but always between midnight and 5am, well before or after hunting light. Unfortunately the property is all crown land to the south so we see a lot of tresspassers on quads and dirt bikes that ignore the private property signs and Iím afraid thatís whatís causing this nocturnal habit. Iím just wondering if anyone had any tips to try and break the habit or how to hunt the property and hoepfully catch a deer walking. Itís almost entirely treed with a few small cut lines sectioning it off and some agricultural fields bordering the property on the north if that helps. Iíll try attaching a picture of the buck in question and see what your opinions are about wether itís a shooter or wait and pray he survives haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF1E4FE6-6858-433B-9F62-7CE57F2C9FE3.jpeg (58.1 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpeg 48C59D30-7FD6-45B0-89EC-01865F8A7535.jpeg (58.8 KB, 300 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-15-2022, 09:56 AM
buckman buckman is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,529
Default

Though question.He may change his habits when the rut starts to kick in. Its probably his only vulnerable period. Good luck he looks like a nice deer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2022, 10:18 AM
270hunter 270hunter is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Though question.He may change his habits when the rut starts to kick in. Its probably his only vulnerable period. Good luck he looks like a nice deer.
My thoughts as well. Most of the big whitetails Iíve seen, have been in the rut. Their more likely to slip up and be seen during daylight when their thinking about the does.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 AM
Sledhead71 Sledhead71 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,437
Default

There really is no such thing as a Nocturnal deer, you are catching images of him while he is traveling. You will need to figure out where he beds and subsequently feeds and set up in the staging area between..

Many mature deer "stage" before entering the feeding areas at last light, they allow the others to feed before walking out. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2022, 10:36 AM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SherwoodPark AB
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
There really is no such thing as a Nocturnal deer, you are catching images of him while he is traveling. You will need to figure out where he beds and subsequently feeds and set up in the staging area between..

Many mature deer "stage" before entering the feeding areas at last light, they allow the others to feed before walking out. Good luck.
Okay I will try that. Both my cameras are in spots along a small cut with some very heavy rubs and scrapes. Iíll do some more venturing of the property to see if I canít find where they are bedding. I would assume they would be feeding in the fields to the north so Iíll use that to my advantage
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2022, 10:41 AM
Sledhead71 Sledhead71 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Okay I will try that. Both my cameras are in spots along a small cut with some very heavy rubs and scrapes. Iíll do some more venturing of the property to see if I canít find where they are bedding. I would assume they would be feeding in the fields to the north so Iíll use that to my advantage
My advise would be get behind some glass in the evenings and determine where he is feeding... Once you have established this, walk in on the game trail and determine where he is staging, typically small area with sign on fringe of feeding area. Place a camera or two here and pattern accordingly.

Stay out of his bedding area as if you disturb him the game is usually over.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.