Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-02-2022, 06:44 AM

Default Setting wolf baits for snares questions

A couple questions,

Do you prefer to set bait and wait for them to become comfortable on the bait before setting snares? Or setting snares first?

Do you leave any snares closer to the bait or try to have them all 50-100 yards back? Further?

How do you freeze your bait to stop the birds from eating so much?

Thank you!
Old 12-02-2022, 12:25 PM

Do you prefer to set bait and wait for them to become comfortable on the bait before setting snares? Or setting snares first? I set the snares at the same time I start baiting, in my experience, the wolves only come to the bait site 1 to 3 times per season, they have a big territory and may take a month or more to do their round

Do you leave any snares closer to the bait or try to have them all 50-100 yards back? Further? I set my snares 100 yds or more from the bait, it keeps the birds off the dead wolves and the further the snares are from the bait, the less suspicious the wolves are

How do you freeze your bait to stop the birds from eating so much? I don't freeze the bait, add bait weekly, birds are a good long distance attractant. To my experience, unless it's -40, wolves don't feed at the bait, they just check it out cause it's on their territory.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:04 PM

awesome, thank you. Appreciate the good tips. Hopefully I can make it work. I caught one last winter and running more and bigger sets this year hoping for more.

These wolves seem to come around once every week or two, but do disappear longer once they know I'm chasing them.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:01 AM

Default My experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
A couple questions,

Do you prefer to set bait and wait for them to become comfortable on the bait before setting snares? Or setting snares first? I have never personally set before they have shown up but I would like to say that if you know the area well its not a bad idea if you know the trail they like to travel on, experience in the area is your best asset.

Do you leave any snares closer to the bait or try to have them all 50-100 yards back? Further? I have had my best luck setting as far away as possible prefer at least 1km. Set their main trail with maybe a half dozen and then set lots for when the rest circle wondering what's going on with the one caught. I have caught one wolf close to a bait in a coyote snare but if you want to catch the whole pack and not educate them its best to set hard and hope you grab as many as possible as wolves learn quick.

How do you freeze your bait to stop the birds from eating so much? 55gallon plastic drum, cut the top off below the thicker plastic ring, split it down 2 sides, drill holes, wire it shut and let the butcher fill it and they will freeze when its cold out. load them with a winch or bring a friend. You untie the wire and the whole barrel clam shells off of the frozen meat/bone and it comes out in one big beautiful chunk. It lasts a lot longer this way. Best wolf bait is either a roadkill moose or beaver carcasses

Thank you!
Good luck.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:47 AM

Best luck I’ve had was to hang the snares in summer months with them being closed. Start baiting letting them hit bait hard. Go in on a snowy day drop snares. Minimal human activity/scent work for me.