Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2023, 10:34 AM
saskbooknut saskbooknut is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,596
Default Josh and Sarah Bomar convicted for poaching

You might remember Josh Bomar from the controversy over spearing a bear.


https://nypost.com/2023/01/18/celeb-...poaching-ring/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2023, 11:07 AM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,979
Default

This is good.

I do find the media a bit much to take though. This quote is a hoot regarding the spear incident.

“Despite the graphic nature of the kill, the former college football player was never charged as spear hunting was still allowed in Alberta at the time.“

Thanks Captain Obvious.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2023, 11:52 AM
cody j cody j is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sunset House
Posts: 1,257
Default

Looks like the stereotypical Instagram hunting hero
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2023, 05:50 PM
270person 270person is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,499
Default

Best part of that article was another mentioned below. "Hunter accidentally shot dead by his own dog". I always figured the act of pulling a trigger would require a thumb but I guess not.
__________________
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared... ...then you energy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2023, 10:20 PM
birdseye birdseye is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 431
Default wow

these too are a special breed of STUPID,hunt without liceses and post ilegally harvested trophys in social media,lmao there is no cure for stupid
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2023, 10:53 PM
FCLightning FCLightning is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
these too are a special breed of STUPID,hunt without liceses and post ilegally harvested trophys in social media,lmao there is no cure for stupid
Them and 37 others at the same outfitter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2023, 07:07 AM
Smokinyotes Smokinyotes is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: onoway, Ab
Posts: 7,056
Default

Say what you want about Sarah, she is quite the trophy hunter. I can tell this because she always has a nice rack
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2023, 07:13 AM
waldedw's Avatar
waldedw waldedw is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lloydminster
Posts: 4,686
Default

Ah social media again, the downfall of stupid people world wide, maybe they should have stuck with body building, I think all the steroid's and muscle choked off the oxygen to their brains.
Just a couple more chumps that think they are entitled and can do whatever they want.
__________________
The problem we have today is that the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2023, 08:47 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 27,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Say what you want about Sarah, she is quite the trophy hunter. I can tell this because she always has a nice rack
Like a game farm… they aren’t real

Did you see this past season she shot a deer in the evening, and they took pictures. Then the next morning, took more pictures and hero shots… deer whole still hide on, all for the gram.

If I would have ever recovered a deer in the evening and left it for pictures the next day in the sunlight my Dad would have kicked my azz.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2023, 09:09 AM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Like a game farm… they aren’t real

Did you see this past season she shot a deer in the evening, and they took pictures. Then the next morning, took more pictures and hero shots… deer whole still hide on, all for the gram.

If I would have ever recovered a deer in the evening and left it for pictures the next day in the sunlight my Dad would have kicked my azz.

LC
This seems to be a common theme among TV folks.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-20-2023, 11:48 AM
vanslays vanslays is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Like a game farm… they aren’t real

Did you see this past season she shot a deer in the evening, and they took pictures. Then the next morning, took more pictures and hero shots… deer whole still hide on, all for the gram.

If I would have ever recovered a deer in the evening and left it for pictures the next day in the sunlight my Dad would have kicked my azz.

LC
Gross. These people are the worst. Kills for likes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2023, 12:41 PM
goldscud goldscud is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,975
Default

Monetizing wildlife always brings out the best in people
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-29-2023, 09:19 AM
nimrod's Avatar
nimrod nimrod is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta for the most part
Posts: 2,811
Default

I was reading this this morning , here is what i read

Bowhunters Josh and Sarah Bowmar were pretty lucky to skip jail time when they were sentenced on Jan. 12, 2023, for violating the Lacey Act. The Bowmars and their corporate entity, Bowmar Bowhunting LLC were sentenced by United States Magistrate Judge Michael D. Nelson after pleading guilty to “Conspiring to Violate the Lacey Act.” They each received a sentence of three years of probation and 40 hours of community service. They are also required to pay $75,000 in fines as well as $44,000 in lieu of forfeiting certain property and $13,000 in restitution, according to the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Nebraska.

Josh and Sarah Bowmar run a popular YouTube channel with over 300,000 subscribers and videos that garner thousands of views. As part of their probation, they are prohibited from hunting or engaging in any activity associated with hunting in Nebraska. The Bowmars acknowledged that “they felt that the prosecutors’ decision to drop the baiting and poaching charges was ‘fair and true to what happened with that outfitter 9 years ago’” in a statement sent to CNN.

“We did plead guilty to conspiracy, which means we should have known better about hunting at that outfitter and should have paid more attention to what was going on behind closed doors—but we did not, and for that, we take complete responsibility,” their statement said.

“We’ve learned some very valuable lessons from this experience and our mistakes and we look forward to doing our best to leave a positive footprint on the hunting community and involving our children in the boundless joys of the great outdoors.”

The lengthy federal investigation against the Bowmars and Bowmar Bowhunting LLC resulted in 39 convictions. Their sentencing is considered the end of the prosecutions connected to Hidden Hills Outfitters (HHO). As GOHUNT previously reported, HHO provided services to clients around the country that ended in the illegal killing of nearly 100 animals. The HHO case closed with a whopping 39 people convicted and over $750,000 in fines, restitution and forfeitures, according to CBS News.

Does anyone know the who the outfitter is, no mention of there name
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-29-2023, 10:40 AM
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I was reading this this morning , here is what i read

Bowhunters Josh and Sarah Bowmar were pretty lucky to skip jail time when they were sentenced on Jan. 12, 2023, for violating the Lacey Act. The Bowmars and their corporate entity, Bowmar Bowhunting LLC were sentenced by United States Magistrate Judge Michael D. Nelson after pleading guilty to “Conspiring to Violate the Lacey Act.” They each received a sentence of three years of probation and 40 hours of community service. They are also required to pay $75,000 in fines as well as $44,000 in lieu of forfeiting certain property and $13,000 in restitution, according to the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Nebraska.

Josh and Sarah Bowmar run a popular YouTube channel with over 300,000 subscribers and videos that garner thousands of views. As part of their probation, they are prohibited from hunting or engaging in any activity associated with hunting in Nebraska. The Bowmars acknowledged that “they felt that the prosecutors’ decision to drop the baiting and poaching charges was ‘fair and true to what happened with that outfitter 9 years ago’” in a statement sent to CNN.

“We did plead guilty to conspiracy, which means we should have known better about hunting at that outfitter and should have paid more attention to what was going on behind closed doors—but we did not, and for that, we take complete responsibility,” their statement said.

“We’ve learned some very valuable lessons from this experience and our mistakes and we look forward to doing our best to leave a positive footprint on the hunting community and involving our children in the boundless joys of the great outdoors.”

The lengthy federal investigation against the Bowmars and Bowmar Bowhunting LLC resulted in 39 convictions. Their sentencing is considered the end of the prosecutions connected to Hidden Hills Outfitters (HHO). As GOHUNT previously reported, HHO provided services to clients around the country that ended in the illegal killing of nearly 100 animals. The HHO case closed with a whopping 39 people convicted and over $750,000 in fines, restitution and forfeitures, according to CBS News.

Does anyone know the who the outfitter is, no mention of there name
Hidden Hills Outfitters
Its in the article
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-29-2023, 03:49 PM
nimrod's Avatar
nimrod nimrod is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta for the most part
Posts: 2,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Hidden Hills Outfitters
Its in the article
Okay now i see this in the article, my miss
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-07-2023, 06:02 AM
FishOutOfWater FishOutOfWater is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 1,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Hidden Hills Outfitters
Its in the article
The name "Broken Arrow" supposedly fits in there somewhere...

Quote:
Josh Bowmar, 32, and Sarah Bowmar, 33, from Ohio were among dozens charged with embarking on dozens of illegal game-hunting excursions with the Broken Arrow, Nebraska-based Hidden Hills Outfitters between Sept. 10, 2015, and Nov. 6, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 AM
FCLightning FCLightning is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
The name "Broken Arrow" supposedly fits in there somewhere...
That's the name of the town where Hidden Hills Outfitters works from.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-07-2023, 07:53 PM
bucksnbears bucksnbears is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 617
Default

Never heard of them until recent.
Have looked into them and have formed my own opinion of them.

Hard working hunters. $/ social media aside, I like their DRIVE.

I'm not gonna follow/subscribe to thir channel ( never have for anyone) but I'll not follow the crowds and vilify them.

They F up.
Most of of have that have spent years hunting.

Just seems nowdays it SO EASY to jump on the "hater wagon".
We all need to look back on our past.
Geez, I shot a fox out of my truck window once (many times)

They got caught, exceped the fines hand no doubt will learn from it.

Wish em the best of luck going forwards
__________________
winner of the first annual CoyoteHunter.net tournament seiries.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-07-2023, 09:11 PM
Tannerdog Tannerdog is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 286
Default

Well....I'll wish Sarah lots of luck. haha.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-08-2023, 06:39 AM
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Never heard of them until recent.
Have looked into them and have formed my own opinion of them.

Hard working hunters. $/ social media aside, I like their DRIVE.

I'm not gonna follow/subscribe to thir channel ( never have for anyone) but I'll not follow the crowds and vilify them.

They F up.
Most of of have that have spent years hunting.

Just seems nowdays it SO EASY to jump on the "hater wagon".
We all need to look back on our past.
Geez, I shot a fox out of my truck window once (many times)

They got caught, exceped the fines hand no doubt will learn from it.

Wish em the best of luck going forwards
I think you should probably look a little closer
A little different shooting a fox out of the window of your track in relation to what they have been caught doing
If you think that they have done nothing wrong, yet they were given $133000 in fines. You need to give your head a shake
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-08-2023, 08:44 AM
FCLightning FCLightning is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
If you think that they have done nothing wrong, yet they were given $133000 in fines. You need to give your head a shake
They pled guilty and were fined for a lesser charge in return for not going to court over a long list of more serious offences. To me that reads as guilty on all charges.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-08-2023, 11:03 AM
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
They pled guilty and were fined for a lesser charge in return for not going to court over a long list of more serious offences. To me that reads as guilty on all charges.
That’s just what they got caught doing
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2023, 11:34 AM
eyeflyer eyeflyer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think you should probably look a little closer
A little different shooting a fox out of the window of your track in relation to what they have been caught doing
If you think that they have done nothing wrong, yet they were given $133000 in fines. You need to give your head a shake
133,000 in fines.............just a small fee for poaching for them. Reported they are worth 33 million.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-08-2023, 01:10 PM
FCLightning FCLightning is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
That’s just what they got caught doing
Them and a whole bunch of others at Hidden Hills Outfitters. I am wondering why the Outfitter isn't facing a few million in fines. Gotta wonder how many of the clients actually knew the stand they were placed on was in the vicinity of a bait pile?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-08-2023, 07:05 PM
bucksnbears bucksnbears is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think you should probably look a little closer
A little different shooting a fox out of the window of your track in relation to what they have been caught doing
If you think that they have done nothing wrong, yet they were given $133000 in fines. You need to give your head a shake

Not saying they didn't do something wrong. Looks like they did.
So have you, me and probably every single one of that has hunted/fished/trapped.

If someone steals a dime/dollar/ 100.00$ from me, I'll treat it the same.
__________________
winner of the first annual CoyoteHunter.net tournament seiries.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.