Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 09:04 AM

Default Blood Indian Reservoir

Fished this lake years ago and was thinking of giving it a try again as I have a few days off work next week. I’ve been doing a bit of research, stocking reports etc. which peaked my interest. Is it worth the drive (I live 1/2 hr west of Calgary). Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-31-2023, 05:54 PM

Default bread dough

Its full of prussians small hook bread dough and your good to go, fill the buckets full, fill the freezer boil them up and eat your heart out.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:00 PM

I believe there's a video by the govt stocking mgr.Ithink they netted like140000 pr.carp.Virtually no trout,were caught in there test nets.I think they even stopped stocking it with trout . Craig.Copeland@gov.ab.ca
Old 01-31-2023, 08:45 PM

The stocking reports show that high numbers of fish were stocked. I have not been there in years, but there could be some very big trout there. Clearly they have lots of food to eat
Old 02-01-2023, 06:42 AM

Lots of trout stocked in there. They have even changed course by stocking brookies, browns and tigers to try and eat up all the smaller carp as well as the usual rainbows.

There is going to be some beastly trout come out of there at some point. If you go on youtube there are a couple videos of them netting out the larger carps in the last few springs.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:31 AM

Default Blood Indian Reservoir

Thank you for the insight! Greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-02-2024, 03:21 PM

Default Skunked marked 2 fish icefishing

Hey there, late reply for sure but wanted to offer insight. My brother and I have been frequenting that lake a lot for first ice fishing trip of the season for a number of years. We skipped the Dec 2021 season due to the Dec 2020 start being so slow. I seen the stocking reports and their aggressive attempts to alleviate the pressure from the prussian carp with full size browns as well. We went out the Dec 2022 first ice and only marked a couple fish the whole day. Usually with stocker trout we will get a few on the ice at the very least. We then decided it wasn't worth our time or gas to travel there from Calgary. Its been progressively getting worse and worse every year. I hope it turns around.
Old 01-06-2024, 03:27 PM

I used to frequent Blood Indian. My dates might be slightly off, but I believe that the carp started showing up in 2013 or 2014. At first, the trout were thriving, and getting very fat. Every decent sized rainbow had a pile of carp minnows in its stomach.

In the past few years, the fishing has been quite poor. They still stock strong numbers, but the fish are nowhere to be found. I used to have no problem catching 20-50 fish per day between myself and my wife or dad.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:01 PM

Default Good bye Blood Indian Dam

This spot was a family favorite for camping and fishing. We quit going there a few years ago when the water clarity looked like chocolate milk and the fish could not see our flies. (carp mucking up the silt bottom)
And yet the place kept getting large injections of stockers?????
What a waste.
Maybe the marsh mellow folks are doing better?