Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2022, 09:19 PM

Default Upland hunting vest

Anyone tried some of the pricey upland vests? I was at bass pro and say the almost middle school pinee style one and decided cheapest wasn’t best on this one. Any recommendation? I’m looking at pyke gear but they really are expensive
Old 02-21-2022, 07:12 AM

The tough part of looking for a superior upland vest is that you can't try for size and comfort, before you buy.

I have an inexpensive Cabela's strap vest that's satisfactory in most respects. The pockets could use some stiffening. They sag open with cartridges in them, collecting leaves and brush debris, when pushing through the bush.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:45 AM

I have tried a few over the years. I have used a Wing Works strap vest for the last ten or so. For me, it is as good as it gets. I like a strap vest because it’s size adjustability makes it good for all weather and the load bearing belt puts the weight on your hips.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:41 AM

Filson with webshoulder straps
Old 02-21-2022, 12:08 PM

I like the Alps Outdoorz upland vest, it is comfortable, and has enough storage for my needs.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:15 PM

Best upland vest in my opinion is made in Idaho and called "Bucks Bags". Its made for serious chukar hunters of Idaho Steppe.

https://bucksbags.com/hunting/
Old 03-07-2022, 10:24 PM

Default Final Rise

I got the final rise summit vest last season. Incredible quality. Great lumbar support and lots of options to add accessories.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I like the Alps Outdoorz upland vest, it is comfortable, and has enough storage for my needs.

Hey Elk,

Reviving this thread as I am starting the search for a quality upland vest/pack, as my Cabelas vest has lasted me only a couple seasons and starting to fall apart.

These look like awesome packs, just a little concerned about their sizing. From what I can tell the smallest they have is a 36” waist? I typically wear a 33-34” pant, wondering what your thoughts were on sizing.

Thanks

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Hey Elk,

Reviving this thread as I am starting the search for a quality upland vest/pack, as my Cabelas vest has lasted me only a couple seasons and starting to fall apart.

These look like awesome packs, just a little concerned about their sizing. From what I can tell the smallest they have is a 36” waist? I typically wear a 33-34” pant, wondering what your thoughts were on sizing.

Thanks

DR

I have the large, and I wear 33-34" jeans.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I have the large, and I wear 33-34" jeans.
Awesome, good to know.. think I will be looking to order one this week.

DR
Old 08-30-2022, 07:49 AM

Hey Elk,

I know it has been several years since you bought yours, wondering where you picked yours up?

Only place I can seem to find these packs (in a large) is a site in the states, which will cost about $80 to ship up here. Might be the only option, but thought I would check.

DR

Old 08-30-2022, 10:25 AM

Jueachy Drop Leg Bag for Men Metal Detecting Pouch Tactical Military Thigh Waist Pack https://a.co/d/71ZpMN3
I have been using this thing for a few years now for bird hunting. Mine isn’t exactly the same, bought it from Ali Express for like $8… But very similar. Way more comfortable then the vest that I tried before. Like people mentioned, vest gets heavy and sags from the weight of the ammo. This thing fits right on your leg, doesn’t restrict the movement and easy to reach the shot shells and fits around 40 shells when fully loaded. I usually fill it up at the truck and then we walk into the fields. Frees your hands, takes the extra weight from your shoulders…
Old 08-30-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Jueachy Drop Leg Bag for Men Metal Detecting Pouch Tactical Military Thigh Waist Pack https://a.co/d/71ZpMN3
I have been using this thing for a few years now for bird hunting. Mine isn’t exactly the same, bought it from Ali Express for like $8… But very similar. Way more comfortable then the vest that I tried before. Like people mentioned, vest gets heavy and sags from the weight of the ammo. This thing fits right on your leg, doesn’t restrict the movement and easy to reach the shot shells and fits around 40 shells when fully loaded. I usually fill it up at the truck and then we walk into the fields. Frees your hands, takes the extra weight from your shoulders…
I don't see a bird pouch, for carrying birds.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:31 PM

My Orange Orvis is in for repairs, it's a decent product idea, but i suspect it's now made in China, seams failing etc.

My old Filson is tough as nails and going strong, but the back "bird" pouch does not zip closed, I like that zipper close for the "dog tools cable cutter for snares, needle nose for Porky etc. , crazy glue, copy of license etc.".
Old 08-30-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I don't see a bird pouch, for carrying birds.
There is none. This is just for ammo and extra chokes for the gun. I also have a backpack with some food and thermos with tea, so I can attach birds to it with ropes. But we usually have enough people power to carry them to the truck.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
There is none. This is just for ammo and extra chokes for the gun. I also have a backpack with some food and thermos with tea, so I can attach birds to it with ropes. But we usually have enough people power to carry them to the truck.
I don't carry extra chokes, and only carry 8-10 rounds, so my purpose in having an upland vest is to carry the birds, some water for the dogs and I, a leash, some tools to remove porcupine quills and those 8-10 rounds.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I don't carry extra chokes, and only carry 8-10 rounds, so my purpose in having an upland vest is to carry the birds, some water for the dogs and I, a leash, some tools to remove porcupine quills and those 8-10 rounds.
Fair enough, everyone has its own way of doing things and it’s own preferences.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:40 AM

I have a Bird'n Lite Strap Vest & a Badlands Upland Game Vest. Both are great.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:48 AM

I would strongly recommend the wingworks and final rise vests. Both are highly functional and built to last.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:53 AM

I used the Browning upland strap vest for a season and found it didn't fit quite right for reference in 6'2" 190lbs. I wasn't running a dog at the time and found the pockets and bird bag were sufficient in that regard.
https://www.browning.com/products/hu...trap-vest.html

I run a dog now and really noticed my last outing this past weekend that the strap vest didn't have enough storage for my liking. I ordered an Orvis Pro vest and it showed up today on my doorstep.

Factors that led me to this decision;
-Dedicated storage pocket for phone, keys, etc.
-Pockets that have magnets and snaps so the flap can close overtop without dealing with the snaps and lets face it, the velcro that most brands use just wears out anyways.
-The ability to have full size water bottle holders. I have a 32oz. Gatorade water bottle I carry for my dog and having it sit easily in the dedicated pocket is a huge plus.
-Game bag size, not a huge selling point for me but important to have enough room for birds.
-Adjustable chest and waist straps. I found my browning strap vest never fit quite right across the chest, it seemed to move around too much for my liking and the strap always seemed to be in the wrong place when I'd pull my gun up.

I also looked at;
Filson upland guide strap vest, didn't purchase due to price and availability
Orvis Pro Lt Vest, went with the regular pro vest as I need a little more storage and the weight offset wasn't a selling feature for me.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:31 PM

Big Shooter I modified my Orvis (after I had it a few years with some frustration) by adding a "high" strap and buckle closure. It now has three "straps" across ample belly and chest, that addition has made big difference, it's now more comfortable and fits and rides way better. Great $10 at Midnapore Shoe Clinic spend.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:38 PM

Thanks OilnGas, I'm back out to the field Friday and Saturday, i'll see how I feel about it. I agree that every vest usually requires some modification to a degree whether it be an added D ring for an E-Collar remote lanyard or an extra strap and buckle.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryXC View Post
I have a Bird'n Lite Strap Vest & a Badlands Upland Game Vest. Both are great.
Birdn' Lite

https://www.browning.com/products/hu...broidered.html

Badlands

https://www.badlandsgear.com/products/upland-game-vest

I also had an Orvis Sling Pack. Didn't care for it as the weight ended up on a single shoulder instead of my hips.

https://macau.desertcart.com/product...and-sling-pack