Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2022, 02:45 PM
Prairiekid Prairiekid is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 466
Default Hunting mobile

Iím wondering what you guys are using for a back pack when youíre stand hunting mobilely or saddle hunting.

I sold a Kuiu pack I was no longer using earlier this year, it was too large for this endeavour. So I thought I would pick up the new FL Transfer Pack. Itís nice but I think Iím going to return or sell it. It has a lot of nice features, quiet fabric and overall materials as well as some nice pockets, but Iím not sure itís what I was thinking.

What are you guys using to haul in your stand or platform and warm clothes for a morning or evening sit?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2022, 02:52 PM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 9,914
Default

I'll use bungies to roll up/strap my heavier layers to the stand. I also use a large fanny pack which I clip to the stand. That has my kill kit, first aid/survival stuff, lunch, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2022, 03:23 PM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,721
Default

I bought a lightweight stand and climbing sticks years ago, hoping to be ultra mobileÖya, no. Tried shoulder straps on the stand, but thatís really uncomfortable for a long hike. Best I found was packing it on a pack frame, because i could secure it tight/quiet, but it was way too heavy to go very far and have all the other stuff (layers, food, water, kill kit, survival gear etc etc) needed for an all day sit and potential night in the bush 10 km or more in.

Once I figured that out, I started packing it much shorter distances, for evening sits in nice weather and actually had a decent amount of game sightings. Just really limited to when/where I could go.

The saddle is probably my next purchase. No issue adding ropes/saddle/sticks to a SG pack even with all the stuff needed for a full day hunt.

Still wouldnít want to add that kind of weight to an overnight load out (tent/stove/sleep system)
__________________
ďNothing is more persistent than a liberal with a dumb ideaĒ - Ebrand
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2022, 06:07 PM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 9,914
Default Hunting mobile

There are also purpose-built packs for this.

Take this one, for example (First Lite Transfer Pack):

https://www.firstlite.com/products/t...c_id=500594278

Lone Wolf made a really fancy packing system for their stands as well, was quite pricey. Saw one on Kijiji last year.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:57 PM
Prairiekid Prairiekid is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 466
Default

I received the Transfer Pack in the mail the other day. My thoughts were that I could use it for mobile stand hunting and still hunting. Like I said in my opening post itís decent enough but I was wondering what others use. Iím usually hiking a couple km in through the hills and mountains.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 PM
Smoky buck Smoky buck is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5,706
Default

My thoughts pre set stands before the season rather then set up and tear down every day.

If I want to be mobile I hunt off the ground using natural cover blow down, bushes and my favorite is trimming a hole under the lower branches on an evergreen. I also have a small turkey blind that is super light and small. The turkey blind is short maybe 30-36inch but when tucked up under a tree it works well

A proper stand set up makes too much disturbance and needs time to settle in my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2022, 06:52 AM
jcrayford jcrayford is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Usually the office, but the bush when I can
Posts: 1,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
My thoughts pre set stands before the season rather then set up and tear down every day.

If I want to be mobile I hunt off the ground using natural cover blow down, bushes and my favorite is trimming a hole under the lower branches on an evergreen. I also have a small turkey blind that is super light and small. The turkey blind is short maybe 30-36inch but when tucked up under a tree it works well

A proper stand set up makes too much disturbance and needs time to settle in my opinion
^I've only hunted once from a stand (home built, someone else's) and didn't care for it. I like to have the chance to move if wind switches or game is elsewhere.

I have a turkey blind as well like SB, but haven't used it in years as I find natural stuff is abundant everywhere all of us hunt. If you're hunting treed areas, you have natural cover on the ground too.

I bought a Ghost Blind off a fellow AOer last year and added extensions to it. 6-panel design, wraps around enough that you could literally set it up just about anywhere and it will always conceal you. Combined with existing natural cover, I'm invisible - even to hunting partners that know the general area I'm in.

I just need to get out more

J.
__________________
My $0.02.... Please feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 9,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I received the Transfer Pack in the mail the other day. My thoughts were that I could use it for mobile stand hunting and still hunting. Like I said in my opening post itís decent enough but I was wondering what others use. Iím usually hiking a couple km in through the hills and mountains.
Gah! Sorry, I missed that part from your opening post. Old eyes squinting at the phone screen...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2022, 08:53 AM
Prairiekid Prairiekid is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 466
Default

I do have a couple preset stands. They were used and cheap. I will sit in them if the wind is right or itía dead calm for a morning sit. My first sit with a saddle I had adjusted based on the wind, it was a raining day with a north wind. I had as large a buck as I have ever seen walk under me in my saddle. I was up 25í and I just couldnít get the shot angle I wanted. I thought he was going to give me a broadside at 12 yards and didnít want to force a high angle shot. In the end I never shot and he walked away. If I had been in the pre hung stand I would have been 45 yards away. But itís a lot to carry in.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2022, 09:11 AM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 9,914
Default

What stand would you plan to be carrying (if you're not saddle hunting)?

I have had several Lone Wolf systems, and have carried them on my back along with my minimal gear. I never had the ultra-compact ones (and definitely not the D'Aquisto series), but what was said before is true - without upgraded straps and some kind of padding for your back, it can get quite uncomfortable the farther you hike. But I've done it, even with the factory straps.

Even Lone Wolf's upgraded straps (link here) and specialized pack (link here) don't solve the issue of keeping the base of the stand off your spine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2022, 10:46 AM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I do have a couple preset stands. They were used and cheap. I will sit in them if the wind is right or itía dead calm for a morning sit. My first sit with a saddle I had adjusted based on the wind, it was a raining day with a north wind. I had as large a buck as I have ever seen walk under me in my saddle. I was up 25í and I just couldnít get the shot angle I wanted. I thought he was going to give me a broadside at 12 yards and didnít want to force a high angle shot. In the end I never shot and he walked away. If I had been in the pre hung stand I would have been 45 yards away. But itís a lot to carry in.
Thatís pretty much the standard experience with any mobile setup since climbers came around. You will sweat more and make more noise carrying stuff in/out. You arenít going to get the chance to cut shooting lanes, perfect access routes, pick angles etc all the stuff we do with preset standsÖ.you are trading that off for mobility.

BUTÖthe benefits of mobility are questionable. We have a very different vegetation structure than what you see in shows/articles from the US. Most places here arenít well suited to archery hunting, thatís why we focus on field edges and major corridors, or wide open spot and stalk. Itís really hard to get a quality shot opportunity in the bush with no prep, the majority of it is just to thick.
__________________
ďNothing is more persistent than a liberal with a dumb ideaĒ - Ebrand
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-04-2022, 10:55 AM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 9,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Thatís pretty much the standard experience with any mobile setup since climbers came around. You will sweat more and make more noise carrying stuff in/out. You arenít going to get the chance to cut shooting lanes, perfect access routes, pick angles etc all the stuff we do with preset standsÖ.you are trading that off for mobility.

BUTÖthe benefits of mobility are questionable. We have a very different vegetation structure than what you see in shows/articles from the US. Most places here arenít well suited to archery hunting, thatís why we focus on field edges and major corridors, or wide open spot and stalk. Itís really hard to get a quality shot opportunity in the bush with no prep, the majority of it is just to thick.
Definitely excellent points!

For sure, where I usually hunt, there's such dense brush and there's just no time to clear those shooting lanes. However, I did have success with some setups where I was able to find a good tree that was on a cutline or cutblock, and I had a good idea that deer would be coming by. With my LW hang-on, I was able to set up quite quickly - and with my climber as well, as long as I didn't have too many branches to knock off on my way up.

That being said, I'm starting to get more into spot-and-stalk and still-hunting for some scenarios, mainly just getting older and running/gunning with the stands is getting a wee bit harder every year.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-04-2022, 12:07 PM
Prairiekid Prairiekid is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 466
Default

Personally I find vegetation transition areas are where I will find the best shooting lanes. But itís a good point about the difference in vegetation, I also think a more mild climate as much of the lower 48 has means you can hike in a lot less warm clothing, mitts etc.

Iím guessing up here the best way to hunt with a saddle would be to have a handful or two of trees/locations scouted, maybe lanes trimmed, access figured. Then hike in and climb in on the day. Iím still learning and was wondering how everyone else is finding it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-04-2022, 02:21 PM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 9,914
Default

For sure, if you're saddle hunting, you could even pre-set feed ropes for your climbing ropes if you are using the DbRT/MRS or SRT/SRS techniques (which I don't use, I'm not set up for that...)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-05-2022, 08:59 PM
HoytAlpha35 HoytAlpha35 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 234
Default

I was looking at a kifaru Stryker as my next do all pack, lots of flexibility and options for setup. Wouldnít need a separate pack frame either. Iíve used my badlands diablo to carry 4 hawk 20Ē sticks, and platform. Using the water bottle holders to hold sticks worked reasonably well.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-06-2022, 12:58 PM
npauls's Avatar
npauls npauls is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 4,057
Default

I have a mystery ranch pintler that I use for everything. I have been eyeing up the sawtooth for awhile but the pintler has done a great job. I added the mystery ranch daypack lid to it as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.