Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-29-2022, 09:35 AM

Default broken crossbow cocking string

I have an XP 380 crossbow with a draw weight of 180 pounds, it shoots bolts at 380 feet per second.
The cocking string on it keeps breaking after a few shots. This can be very dangerous since the string and the two hooks go flying!
The last time it cracked a bone in my index finger and I have had my hand in two different casts for the last 3 weeks. It could have taken out an eye just as easily!
After the string that came with the bow broke, I have tried using heavy trimer line that is used on weed wackers (.095'). This worked OK for about 10 shots before it broke as well. Then I tried lighter trimmer line and it also broke after a few shots.
The bow looks like it is in good shape and shoots well until the cocking string breaks. Have any of you had this problem? How did you overcome it?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2022, 05:54 PM

plastic coated steel cable ???
Old 10-29-2022, 11:00 PM

Default Have you

tried contacting the manufacturer ?
Old 10-29-2022, 11:04 PM

Default here

https://www.barnettcrossbows.com/contact-us
Old 10-30-2022, 07:15 AM

Default Try D-Loop Material

Make sure that when you are connecting to the string that you put the cocking string around the back of the crossbow in the groove and then crank it. The crank does not crank directly on the string. Barnett now send a note with the bow showing how to do this. Hard to explain in words but go in to Cabelas South and they'll show you what I mean. Other within look at D-Loop material to replace the cocking rope.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:09 AM

I have the same bow, and have had no issues with the string. I assume you purchased it from Cabelas, have them look at it, the string may not be properly strung on the crank and binding. Also take what’s left of the broken string and do a pull test, I doubt the string is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Make sure that when you are connecting to the string that you put the cocking string around the back of the crossbow in the groove and then crank it. The crank does not crank directly on the string. Barnett now send a note with the bow showing how to do this. Hard to explain in words but go in to Cabelas South and they'll show you what I mean. Other within look at D-Loop material to replace the cocking rope.
This. No way you should break cords this easy. By doubling it as above you are gaining double the pull on the string. In essence you are cocking ai 380 lbs vice half. If you are doing it right get it looked at before you crank it again.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the comments, sounds like I'm the only one with this problem???
I think I will try some plastic covered steel cable, if I can find some that looks suitable.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
Thanks for the comments, sounds like I'm the only one with this problem???
I think I will try some plastic covered steel cable, if I can find some that looks suitable.
That sounds like an owie in the making, any reason that you don’t want to go to the manufacturer or cabelas? I wouldn’t mess with it myself.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:40 AM

Default Well Known Problem

The cord breaks if you don't use the way it was designed to be used by going directly from the crank to the string and cranking. It is meant to be split over the grove at the back of the stock and then cranked to divide the load on the cord. They now come with a specific piece of paper in the box with an illustration as people were not reading the manual and breaking the cord. Go to Cabelas or contact the manufacturer and they'll show you. Alternatively, get a cocking cord and just cock it manually.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:13 PM

Default Xbow trick

Put your feet on the handle on ground, put your chest tight to stock pad. Grab it with your fingers and cock it. Trick in chest against stock. I lost my cocking string years ago. Wear gloves if your hands are delicate as in non labour kinda person job/life.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Put your feet on the handle on ground, put your chest tight to stock pad. Grab it with your fingers and cock it. Trick in chest against stock. I lost my cocking string years ago. Wear gloves if your hands are delicate as in non labour kinda person job/life.
Great if your cocking a light weight crossbow / My matrix 380 aint getting cocked many times with the fingers .
And a chest against the stock shortens your arm length therefore increasing the amount of strength needed to pull the string Your back and shoulders do the work with a cocking string .
You will pull a testicle humped over a cross bow like that .
Old 07-19-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Great if your cocking a light weight crossbow / My matrix 380 aint getting cocked many times with the fingers .
And a chest against the stock shortens your arm length therefore increasing the amount of strength needed to pull the string Your back and shoulders do the work with a cocking string .
You will pull a testicle humped over a cross bow like that .

I have been cocking for years that way. Seriously try it. Chest has to be against stock. I have 370 fps xbox and have cocked all the ones used by friends. Actually real easy. One quick snap and shes cocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk