Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2022, 01:47 PM

Anyone been out to Crawling Valley?
Old 12-30-2022, 08:33 AM

24" ice at Newell on Thurs Dec 29. Fishing was very slow. A couple skinny jacks and a fat 23" walleye. Fished depths from 10fow to about 20fow, mostly in the north end of the lake. Lots of "forage" perch swimming far too confidently for my liking.

Heading back to that area to do an overnighter with my wife Sunday/Monday. Still not 100% sure where we'll set up, because I do not have confidence in any one area of the lake just yet.

Tight lines, all!
Old 12-30-2022, 10:48 PM

Lac Ste Anne at West Cove today. 20” solid ice and approx 4-5” of snow. No problem with a 4x4. Pike we’re biting although lightly. Found lime green jig with minnow the best. Was in approx 10 fow. Best bite was in the early afternoon. Couple that were 26” and another half dozen smaller. Not a bite after 4. Did not move depths though. Was comfortable in my spot.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:58 AM

Thumbs up Crv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
I am hoping to get out to CRV this week. I'll be sure to update this thread....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:19 PM

Any info on North Wabasca? I know theres been alot of snow, wondering how the truck access is.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:52 AM

Default Ice reports Calling/ Sandy lake / North Wabasca

Good day folks, I am also wondering what the conditions are like up North? I am hoping to get a round with a 4 x 4 and get out and catch some fish! Looking for conditions at North Wabasca, Calling Lake, and Sandy Lake north of Athabasca? Appreciate the help!
Old 01-02-2023, 01:01 PM

Default Forty Mile

Has anyone been out to Forty Mile Res. in the last few days? Just curious on ice thickness. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:25 PM

Default Slave lake

Was up at Joussard wed,thur,Friday doing some ice camping, ice was a good 24” thick, only place you could get on was by the church over the drop off due to a 5’ heave just off shore.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I was out there for a couple days late last week, 20" of ice, lots of trucks driving on the ice and even a couple campers.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan83 View Post
Has anyone been out to Forty Mile Res. in the last few days? Just curious on ice thickness. Thanks.

Chin had about 14" on Boxing Day if that helps.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:43 PM

Default Forty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityNow View Post
Chin had about 14" on Boxing Day if that helps.
Went out today. 16 inches straight off the boat launch and access is really good.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:04 AM

Default Reesor

Was out on New Year’s Day. Nice solid 16” ice. The old dock has been demolished and the ground levelled, very easy to step down onto ice. No one driving on, big drift in front of the launch and unsure if the launch was demolished as well.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Been a couple of times in the past week. 18-20" of ice most places. I've found it pretty slow with just a few pike each day, best one landed was in the 7-8 lbs range but I had a much bigger one right up to the hole and she took off and threw the hook.

Some folks still walking out, but people are driving all over the place.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-07-2023, 10:08 PM

24" on Southside of wabamun.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 01-08-2023, 06:42 PM

Default Crawling Valley Reservoir

Quote:
Jan 08, 2023

Ice was 20" to 24"....good and hard

Lots of vehicles all over the place including F&W on a ATV checking for licenses etc.....

Great day

Old 01-09-2023, 12:06 PM

Default Lac La Biche

Hey folks,

Anyone able to share a conditions report for Lac La Biche? Looking to head up there this weekend. Hopeful to travel by SUV with 4 wheel lock.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2023, 12:48 PM

Default Carson lake

Has anyone fished Carson lake recently, am thinking of heading up there this weekend? How thick is the ice and how much snow? Is it driveable or should I consider walking with a toboggan?
Old 01-09-2023, 04:39 PM

Out a few places this weekend:

Sylvan Lake - 20 inches at the North end. Lots of established tracks and trucks/tents everywhere.

Coal Lake - 16 inches at the North end. Also a good track and trucks driving about.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:29 PM

Default st.marys reservior

Anyone have a thickness on st. Mary's? I was down just after Christmas and was only 10.5 inches
Old 01-12-2023, 10:42 PM

wondering if anyone has an update on pine coulee or anything else out that way? its warming up here in lethbridge but i'm assuming its still decent out there? was thinking of going either out there or to chain this weekend, or somewhere out in the pass. never been out to pine before, if anyone has a tip for a good place to get out onto the ice too.

thanks
Old 01-12-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher69 View Post
wondering if anyone has an update on pine coulee or anything else out that way? its warming up here in lethbridge but i'm assuming its still decent out there? was thinking of going either out there or to chain this weekend, or somewhere out in the pass. never been out to pine before, if anyone has a tip for a good place to get out onto the ice too.

thanks

Sorry no info on the other lakes, but PCR is closed until april 1st
Old 01-13-2023, 05:56 AM

Default Spray lakes

Anyone have any updates on Spray lakes?
Old 01-13-2023, 03:42 PM

Default Newell

anyone have an update on Newell? Mainly wondering about the flood water with this recent heat...I am planning an overnighter sat/sun 😬
Old 01-13-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10 View Post
Anyone have any updates on Spray lakes?
I was out at Spray last week near Sparrowhawk, and the ice was about 14" where I drilled. The snow on top was hard packed, so walking was easy, but fishing was a little slow for me that day.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:03 AM

Default CVR ice

January 13 and 14, 2023

Lots of people...2 beauty days

Ice was a solid 24" easy access on and off the ice.

Shout out to the MD for a good job in removing the big snow drifts at the north end service road....Thanks

The fishing was slow...

Caution: the ice surface has some +/- 20" snow drifts, and you don't see them until you are just about on top of them....We helped pull a guy out who was high centered.
So pack a shovel and some tow rope...just in case.

Cheers,

Old 01-16-2023, 09:41 AM

Default Anyone been to Fawcett Lake this season?

Has anyone been to Fawcett Lake ice fishing recently? If so how was the access and the fishing? Thinking of going up Saturday.

Thanks
hunter270win
Old 01-16-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
anyone have an update on Newell? Mainly wondering about the flood water with this recent heat...I am planning an overnighter sat/sun 😬
Couldn't believe how much melt there was in that area this weekend. We were JUST THERE two weeks ago, and, in the area I fish, people were driving on and all over. This weekend, the access point had melted away entirely, and walk-on was the only option (HUUUUUUUUGE pain in my ass hauling all our camping gear out). The flood water was at least 3-4" deep Saturday afternoon. We were still on 21" ice, but accessing the lake was dicey for sure. By Sunday morning, the flood water had frozen over lightly, but finding a place to set up camp on Saturday afternoon/evening proved very difficult...had to find a "high point" area where there was no flood water.

Having said all that, we had a good weekend fishing. Probably 12-15 walters and only a few snot rockets in the mix. Walter's average size seems to be up, for where we fish, which I'm quite excited about.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:43 AM

I just stopped and checked Jackfish Bay access, it was still frozen and there was a truck out so hopefully it gets cold enough to keep it frozen but its not looking great in the forecast for the shorelines

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-16-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I just stopped and checked Jackfish Bay access, it was still frozen and there was a truck out so hopefully it gets cold enough to keep it frozen but its not looking great in the forecast for the shorelines
I hate to say this, but that area needs a real good cold snap for about two weeks to make access points better, but honestly, it might be too late already. Lots of walking on in that area...
Old 01-17-2023, 02:55 PM

Anybody know how the access on Calling Lake is? I know there is supposed to be a lot of flood water on the more northern lakes...