Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2023, 08:46 AM
urban rednek's Avatar
urban rednek urban rednek is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,010
Thumbs up Nature Conservancy Canada adds another parcel to Waterton Park Front

More land protected from future commercial development.
Anybody familiar with their MO care to comment Pros vs. Cons?
Quote:
Nature Conservancy of Canada purchases land for protection in southern Alberta

The Canadian Press
Published Jan 31, 2023

TWIN BUTTE, Alta. — A property that includes fescue grasslands, forests and wetlands near Waterton Lakes National Park in southern Alberta has been purchased by the Nature Conservancy of Canada.
The organization said Tuesday that the 2.5-square-kilometre property between the national park and Twin Butte, Alta., is its newest conservation site.
“Waterton Lakes National Park is renowned for its incredible wildlife, but these species rely on an area much larger than the park itself throughout the year,” Tom Lynch-Staunton, regional vice-president for the Nature Conservancy of Canada, said in a statement.

“By conserving this property, we are ensuring it will continue to offer habitat and safe movement routes for these incredible animals.”

The Nature Conservancy of Canada said the property will become part of the 130-square kilometres of private conservation lands known as the Waterton Park Front, which is now about 75 per cent conserved.


This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

“This property is just another piece of that larger puzzle,” said Sean Feagan, an Alberta spokesman for Nature Conservancy of Canada.

“It’s a victory for nature.”

Land conservation in the area, he said, is important because it features a unique and relatively intact ecosystem that provides a corridor for wildlife such as grizzly bears and elk.

“It’s where the grasslands butt up right against the mountains,” said Feagan. “There’s not a ton of foothills, so it’s a unique part of the province geographically and geologically.

“So, you get a mixture of grasslands species and montane species living together.”

He said mammals such as elk, deer and moose congregate in the areas outside of the national park in the winter to forage grasses such as fescue, which has high nutritional value.

“It’s a really important winter foodstuff for these animals,” he said.

The Nature Conservancy of Canada said the protected area will continue to be used for cattle grazing while being managed in a way that allows nature to thrive.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 31, 2023.

— By Colette Derworiz in Calgary.
__________________
“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.” - Thomas Sowell

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-2023, 09:04 AM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,703
Default

Look up what happened to the Waldron.

It’s no secret these guys are working with Y2Y to eliminate all non-treaty hunting. Alberta is their focus because the canmore ecoterrorists (aka KVT and his BHA cult disciples) give them a launch point

NCC M.O. - At first hunting is acceptable, then there’s access restrictions “to protect sensitive whatever”, then game restrictions, then time of year restrictions, then they lock the gates and stop answering the phone or emails.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2023, 10:07 AM
goldscud goldscud is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,900
Default

The flip side of your concern is that it is private land and you are never allowed to go there anyway.
Furthermore it could be subdivided into a bunch of mini-mansions with all kinds of habitat perturbations that are not in the best interests of wildlife.

NCC would like to maintain large pieces of habitat with minimal disturbance. Doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Lots of hunting on NCC lands, just have to book a time
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2023, 10:30 AM
Albertadiver's Avatar
Albertadiver Albertadiver is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Look up what happened to the Waldron.

It’s no secret these guys are working with Y2Y to eliminate all non-treaty hunting. Alberta is their focus because the canmore ecoterrorists (aka KVT and his BHA cult disciples) give them a launch point

NCC M.O. - At first hunting is acceptable, then there’s access restrictions “to protect sensitive whatever”, then game restrictions, then time of year restrictions, then they lock the gates and stop answering the phone or emails.
This
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-2023, 10:45 AM
Geraldsh Geraldsh is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 242
Default

Bit of a mixed message there: saving the forage for wild ungulates but letting Cattle graze it off?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-2023, 11:52 AM
ram crazy ram crazy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Look up what happened to the Waldron.

It’s no secret these guys are working with Y2Y to eliminate all non-treaty hunting. Alberta is their focus because the canmore ecoterrorists (aka KVT and his BHA cult disciples) give them a launch point

NCC M.O. - At first hunting is acceptable, then there’s access restrictions “to protect sensitive whatever”, then game restrictions, then time of year restrictions, then they lock the gates and stop answering the phone or emails.
Got no one to blame but the land owners for allowing this to happen. Sell to the highest bidder instead of to a neighbor for a bit less.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2023, 11:57 AM
Dewey Cox's Avatar
Dewey Cox Dewey Cox is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 204
Posts: 4,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Got no one to blame but the land owners for allowing this to happen. Sell to the highest bidder instead of to a neighbor for a bit less.
Why do the neighbors refuse to pay market value?
__________________
"I like to quote my own quotes" ~ Dewey Cox
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2023, 11:59 AM
ram crazy ram crazy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Why do the neighbors refuse to pay market value?
Who's saying they won't, but when the nature conservancy comes and pays over market, greed is a wonderful thing!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2023, 12:28 PM
saskwhitey saskwhitey is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: southern alberta
Posts: 568
Default

A lot of the puchases are easements, which your neighbors would never do. The way they get people to sell, is to buy the land, but nothing changes for 30 years. So in the landowner’s lifetime nothing changes and they get their money upfront and live out their lives in their own homes. It’s great for the landowner but screws their kids down the road, ask me how I know! This set up is how they have convinced so many to sell to them. Nobody else can buy land that way.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2023, 12:40 PM
tirebob's Avatar
tirebob tirebob is online now
Moderator and Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Airdrie, AB and Part Time BC
Posts: 2,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Who's saying they won't, but when the nature conservancy comes and pays over market, greed is a wonderful thing!
I dunno man... Nature Conservancy is trying to buy the land my mom's fellow owns and they straight won't pay even close to market value. In fact they want it as a virtual donation with the caveat that they can live in the house for free until he passes.

I think the idea they always pay over value is not accurate. Not saying it maybe never happens, but it isn't just the norm.
__________________
Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire Inc
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
403.769.1771
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2023, 06:02 PM
chasingtail chasingtail is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 1,368
Default

Farmers won’t sell land to government so they use fronts like the Nature Conservancy and Ducks Unlimited to buy it up with tax free and tax payers money.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2023, 06:35 PM
yoteblaster yoteblaster is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Farmers won’t sell land to government so they use fronts like the Nature Conservancy and Ducks Unlimited to buy it up with tax free and tax payers money.
Could you explain this to me? Sounds like a load of bunk. Wouldn’t government money be tax payers money?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2023, 06:54 PM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Could you explain this to me? Sounds like a load of bunk. Wouldn’t government money be tax payers money?
Non profit - that is - funded by government, staffed by former government, given “easements” by the government, enforcing unofficial policies of the government or associated NGOs.

Government in this case being the federal liberals and dipps, provincial dipps, Parks Canada, and some AEP bios. NGOs - Y2Y and CPAWS.

The dipper environment minister was a psycho Y2Y member. She pushed a lot of this crap.

Best way to get rid of gun owning white people, take away their places to hunt. Then you don’t “need” your guns and can depend on the government for food.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2023, 06:58 PM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The flip side of your concern is that it is private land and you are never allowed to go there anyway.
Furthermore it could be subdivided into a bunch of mini-mansions with all kinds of habitat perturbations that are not in the best interests of wildlife.

NCC would like to maintain large pieces of habitat with minimal disturbance. Doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Lots of hunting on NCC lands, just have to book a time
Ok Kevin, go don’t kill another sheep

I’m fine with land owners controlling access to their own property.

I’m absolutely opposed to hunting being limited by race, by an NGO.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2023, 07:08 PM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14,956
Default

When did Waterton become too small?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2023, 07:10 PM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The flip side of your concern is that it is private land and you are never allowed to go there anyway.
Furthermore it could be subdivided into a bunch of mini-mansions with all kinds of habitat perturbations that are not in the best interests of wildlife.

NCC would like to maintain large pieces of habitat with minimal disturbance. Doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Lots of hunting on NCC lands, just have to book a time
Hunting NCC property has become almost impossible. But there is guiding happening on it if that is any consolation.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2023, 08:11 AM
landowner landowner is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 909
Default

Sometimes the only choice is between an urban billionaire who doesn’t allow agriculture or wildlife hunting vs NCC. As flawed as NCC is, there are situations where they are the better choice.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Grizzly Adams1 Grizzly Adams1 is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 2,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Sometimes the only choice is between an urban billionaire who doesn’t allow agriculture or wildlife hunting vs NCC. As flawed as NCC is, there are situations where they are the better choice.
Agreed, they do allow public use.

Grizz
__________________
Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there is no place, that they be alone in the midst of the Earth.

Isaiah 5:8
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2023, 09:56 AM
goldscud goldscud is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,900
Default

The deals between some previous landowners/leaseholders and NCC enabled the landowners to maintain control of hunting permission. This was done so those guys could maintain their guiding operations. It is not the best plan, but that was what was agreed to. Not sure any of those folks were too excited about letting joe public on their land in the first place.
So did anything really change as far as access is concerned then?

3blade: Can you show me which NCC property limits access by race as you state?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2023, 10:17 AM
goldscud goldscud is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,900
Default

The Government of Canada’s Natural Heritage Conservation Program (NHCP) is a unique partnership that supports the creation of protected and conserved areas through the acquisition of private land and private interest in land. To date, the Government of Canada has invested more than $440 million in the Program, which has been matched with more than $870 million in contributions raised by Nature Conservancy of Canada, Ducks Unlimited Canada, and the country’s land trust community, leading to the protection and conservation of more than 700,000 hectares of ecologically sensitive lands.
---------------------

So most of the money is coming from donations from private Canadian citizens who would like to see some big spaces left undeveloped.

If you are so worried about lost hunting areas I hope you are speaking out about habitat destroyed by clear cutting, coal mining and any other development that is harming the carrying capacity for game populations. Perhaps you could complain about the pollution of the waterways impacted as well.
It would seem that some big NCC lands would act as a refuge for wildlife populations to restock neighboring lands. Many NCC lands are open to hunting so that is a bonus
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2023, 10:41 AM
urban rednek's Avatar
urban rednek urban rednek is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
If you are so worried about lost hunting areas I hope you are speaking out about habitat destroyed by clear cutting,
Somewhat off topic; I hear that tired old argument used often by people who fail to understand that our mature mono culture forests don't support anything larger than red squirrels and pine martins.
At least clear cutting provides a temporary opportunity for ungulate forage.

OT- Interesting to hear that land owners can negotiate to retain some time limited control over the property. I can see the appeal of knowing the property will remain unavailable for commercial or industrial development in perpetuity, while having the funds to enjoy life now.
That's the real estate equivalent of having your cake, and eating it too.
__________________
“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.” - Thomas Sowell

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2023, 10:43 AM
tirebob's Avatar
tirebob tirebob is online now
Moderator and Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Airdrie, AB and Part Time BC
Posts: 2,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Somewhat off topic; I hear that tired old argument used often by people who fail to understand that our mature mono culture forests don't support anything larger than red squirrels and pine martins.
At least clear cutting provides a temporary opportunity for ungulate forage.

OT- Interesting to hear that land owners can negotiate to retain some time limited control over the property. I can see the appeal of knowing the property will remain unavailable for commercial or industrial development in perpetuity, while having the funds to enjoy life now.
That's the real estate equivalent of having your cake, and eating it too.
Sidetrack... I have never understood this saying. I mean who wants cake if you can't eat it?
__________________
Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire Inc
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
403.769.1771
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2023, 10:48 AM
Au revoir, Gopher's Avatar
Au revoir, Gopher Au revoir, Gopher is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winfield
Posts: 3,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Sidetrack... I have never understood this saying. I mean who wants cake if you can't eat it?
I've always wondered who wants the cake after it has been eaten?

ARG
__________________
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2023, 11:44 AM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The deals between some previous landowners/leaseholders and NCC enabled the landowners to maintain control of hunting permission. This was done so those guys could maintain their guiding operations. It is not the best plan, but that was what was agreed to. Not sure any of those folks were too excited about letting joe public on their land in the first place.
So did anything really change as far as access is concerned then?

3blade: Can you show me which NCC property limits access by race as you state?
Y2Y policy is no white people hunting or fishing. NCC is working with Y2Y.

You can’t hide behind the screen or the paperwork anymore, we know how ecoextremists operate.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2023, 12:31 PM
goldscud goldscud is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,900
Default

Curious as I have personally killed lots of game on NCC properties along with many others.
I guess your info hasn't filtered down to reality yet
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-01-2023, 12:38 PM
goldscud goldscud is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,900
Default

Urban redneck: Good point about the succession that happens after a clear cut. New browse is a good thing. It will be interesting to see what recent research shows about the use of glyphosphate after cutting.
I wish companies would leave larger buffer zones along streams (especially important spawning streams) to decrease sedimentation and gravel impaction.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2023, 01:27 PM
HyperMOA HyperMOA is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton (shudder)
Posts: 4,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Urban redneck: Good point about the succession that happens after a clear cut. New browse is a good thing. It will be interesting to see what recent research shows about the use of glyphosphate after cutting.
I wish companies would leave larger buffer zones along streams (especially important spawning streams) to decrease sedimentation and gravel impaction.
How has round up effected wildlife numbers in farming lands? They seem to thrive in it with many more applications too.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2023, 01:35 PM
MountainTi's Avatar
MountainTi MountainTi is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Caroline
Posts: 6,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
How has round up effected wildlife numbers in farming lands? They seem to thrive in it with many more applications too.
Exactly! This seems often forgotten when the logging conversations come up. There are far worse chemicals sprayed on agricultural land than roundup yearly. At times 2 or 3 applications including pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides
__________________
Keep your city outta my country

You lefties always believe you're right..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-01-2023, 02:55 PM
EZM's Avatar
EZM EZM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Sidetrack... I have never understood this saying. I mean who wants cake if you can't eat it?
That makes two of - one of the most used, yet unexplainable sayings ..... like seriously, what's the point of cake if you can't eat it?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-01-2023, 03:07 PM
Sledhead71 Sledhead71 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Sidetrack... I have never understood this saying. I mean who wants cake if you can't eat it?
Once you eat your cake, it's gone....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ncc, waterton

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.