Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2023, 05:04 PM

Default Canadian dairy farmer says he’s forced to dump 30,000 litres of milk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qw9pUE7hcXs

Ontario dairy farmer Jerry Huigen posted this viral video documenting how he is forced to dump 30,000 litres of milk due to supply management rules because he produced more than his quota.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:11 PM

This is not new news . This has been going on for years.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:27 PM

I'm sure some hog operation would gladly take it off his hands.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:33 PM

Nothing new, been going on for years but here in farmer A has to much milk, and farmer B does not produce enough milk, farmer A can lease out his quota to farmer B.

I used to drive milk truck and there have been a few occasions where I had to dump 30.000l ( a tanker load) just because the taste was off ( stink weed), antibiotics, soap water or to curdled ( butter balls) from over agitation.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
This is not new news . This has been going on for years.
I follow an Ontario Farmer magazine and it seems Ontario has their own rules, Quebec again. Milk is a perishable commodity, buddy tells me there is a push for increased powdered milk productions to try and solve that. And of course, the Americans, who don't have a supply management system and a supply surplus they are looking for market for, are bitching for increased access to the Canadian market.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-03-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I used to drive milk truck and there have been a few occasions where I had to dump 30.000l ( a tanker load) just because the taste was off ( stink weed), antibiotics, soap water or to curdled ( butter balls) from over agitation.
Stink weed, soap in the milk and butterballs are all to be rejected at the farm, if you picked it up it is on you for picking up milk that should have been rejected. Only picking up antibiotic milk isn't on the truck driver milk grader as you can not detect it by sight or smell.
How do I know these things, I have been a truck driver milk grader for over 40 years.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Stink weed, soap in the milk and butterballs are all to be rejected at the farm, if you picked it up it is on you for picking up milk that should have been rejected. Only picking up antibiotic milk isn't on the truck driver milk grader as you can not detect it by sight or smell.
How do I know these things, I have been a truck driver milk grader for over 40 years.
If what this guy is saying is true and this milk is drinkable then why is it being dumped? Especially when more people then ever are struggling to buy groceries. Is it because of the cost to truck it and package it etc?
Old 02-03-2023, 07:08 PM

In Canada there is milk quota that the farmers have to buy before they can milk a dairy herd. They know how much milk they are to ship within a certain period of time. If you go over the farmer has a penalty to pay and his was dumping good milk, as bad as that sounds the farmer knew what he is to ship and he went over.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
In Canada there is milk quota that the farmers have to buy before they can milk a dairy herd. They know how much milk they are to ship within a certain period of time. If you go over the farmer has a penalty to pay and his was dumping good milk, as bad as that sounds the farmer knew what he is to ship and he went over.
But why are they limited? If your herd produces big milk numbers, shouldn't that be a good thing?
Old 02-03-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
But why are they limited? If your herd produces big milk numbers, shouldn't that be a good thing?
Dairy farmers in canada like free trade when buying but not when selling.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:22 PM

The farmer buys an amount of quota and they have to ship that amount. If his herd is milking great and he shipping too much then he has to cull or dry up some of his cows to stay at the amount of quota he bought.
There isn't a free for all where farms ship whatever they want in Canada because of the quota system.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:51 PM

The problem is not excess production that cannot be delivered, it is no alternative use for the milk. In days of old, farmers were often producing cattle, pigs, chickens, even vegetables, all on the same farm!!!!

What if there was a "side gig", say a small herd of about 80 hogs, which could then take the excess milk production, just like what was done in days of old?

But the farms are really food factories and are now very specialized. That is the downfall that sees alot of waste because no one has the interest in mixed farming.

Drewski
Old 02-03-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
If what this guy is saying is true and this milk is drinkable then why is it being dumped? Especially when more people then ever are struggling to buy groceries. Is it because of the cost to truck it and package it etc?
They would rather dump the "excess product" than lower the price of milk.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:15 PM

It is mainly to support small Quebec dairies who now also get a government subsidy after the last free trade agreement. Check where you milk comes from. Most of the milk sold in western Canada comes from Quebec. Expect another price increase in April when the carbon tax goes up. The milk does not walk here.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:19 PM

This is wrong.
I have explained supply management here before.
In this case it would be like me getting a 5000sqft job but ordering 10000sqft of material and complaining about it.
This farmer poorly managed his farm as it is not that difficult to ship the amount that you have paid to ship ie like a contract.
Fact is almost no country has seen milk prices drop after they get rid of supply management. Thought they do see suicide rates in dairy farmers skyrocket ie Australia.
Also dairy farmers do not set the price of milk in the store. Processors set a price to stores and they do their markup on top. Processors in Canada are very well off ie Saputo.
Also alot of countries that have gotten rid of supply management have now brought in "manure credits" so in the end the farmer can only milk as many cows as he has purchased manure credits.
Finally the US has lower prices of milk in some areas but there are a couple reasons biggest is that they get massive subsidies so you just end up paying for it with taxes so you dont feel it at the till.
US also doesnt have the same quality standards ie hormones for cows that are milking.
Anyway that farmer has done a poor job.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 02-03-2023, 09:27 PM

Maybe its time to phase out the quota system....or at least make some drastic changes to it. IMO everyone wins when business is open for everyone.
I realize there is no easy solution but I do believe the supply manage system has run its course and is now costing the consumer much, much more than it should.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
This is wrong.
In this case it would be like me getting a 5000sqft job but ordering 10000sqft of material and complaining about it.
This farmer poorly managed his farm as it is not that difficult to ship the amount that you have paid to ship ie like a contract.
Fact is almost no country has seen milk prices drop after they get rid of supply management. Thought they do see suicide rates in dairy farmers skyrocket ie Australia.
Also dairy farmers do not set the price of milk in the store. Processors set a price to stores and they do their markup on top. Processors in Canada are very well off ie Saputo.
Also alot of countries that have gotten rid of supply management have now brought in "manure credits" so in the end the farmer can only milk as many cows as he has purchased manure credits.
Finally the US has lower prices of milk in some areas but there are a couple reasons biggest is that they get massive subsidies so you just end up paying for it with taxes so you dont feel it at the till.
US also doesnt have the same quality standards ie hormones for cows that are milking.
Anyway that farmer has done a poor job.
So why is it that dairy farmers are the only producer (that I’m aware of) to have to buy into a quota? No other agriculture sector works this way.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
So why is it that dairy farmers are the only producer (that I’m aware of) to have to buy into a quota? No other agriculture sector works this way.
Dairy
Chicken
Eggs
Turkey
Old 02-03-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Dairy
Chicken
Eggs
Turkey
Are chickens under quota, or just eggs? I didn’t know eggs are under quota. Also, I’m pretty sure that any farmer can raise and sell chickens, turkeys and eggs. However, selling raw milk is illegal, is it not?
Old 02-04-2023, 07:34 AM

I think you can sell something like 900 chickens without quota.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally, when the quota was adopted, it was given out free, now it's among the most expensive part of setting up a dairy operation, there's even a brokerage that deals in it. That's how so many retired dairy farmers spend winters in the sunny south.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-04-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I think you can sell something like 900 chickens without quota.
Looks like it's 2000 birds
Old 02-04-2023, 08:58 AM

This is a Cats dream. Supply all animal shelters milk……
Old 02-04-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Originally, when the quota was adopted, it was given out free, now it's among the most expensive part of setting up a dairy operation, there's even a brokerage that deals in it. That's how so many retired dairy farmers spend winters in the sunny south.

Grizz
This is so true, I know of many for sure who made a nest egg when they sold out
Old 02-04-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I'm sure some hog operation would gladly take it off his hands.
Yes sir!
Old 02-04-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
Quota is exchanged on a monthly exchange that you can bid on to purchase.
I look at it like property, many settlers got land for basically free but could sell it later. Not too many people are mad at generational ranches for this. But hey if these occupations are so nice and a ticket to an easy retirement I am surprised more of us aren't choosing to do it.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 02-04-2023, 10:45 AM

Not a fan of drinking the hormone laced milk from another mammal… however I just bought a 4 L jug of milk…. $9.15.

I’m sure they could lower the price. Sell more and bring costs down for consumers.

Monopolies suck.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-04-2023, 10:58 AM

Price fixing, plain and simple.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Not a fan of drinking the hormone laced milk from another mammal… however I just bought a 4 L jug of milk…. $9.15.

I’m sure they could lower the price. Sell more and bring costs down for consumers.

Monopolies suck.
$9.15? Holy crap man, where dd you shop? A liquor store? Are you sure it was just milk? Superstore sell it for just over $5.00
Old 02-04-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
This is wrong.
Exactly - it's like he's crying over his own mismanagement and/or trying to guilt his customer (the dairy packager) into buying more than they agreed to buy.

In the meantime, if his customer does take his "excess milk" he drives the prices down and the supply up which hurts the entire industry.

I have ZERO sympathy for his wasteful overproduction. The waste is on HIS hands.