Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:00 PM
qanda qanda is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 4
Default Looking for a guide for a documentary

Hi everyone

Here goes my first post.
I am making a documentary on invasive species in Alberta. I was hoping someone on here could help me find a guide near Calgary that would be willing to let me tag along on a wild boar hunt to collect some footage.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:03 PM
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 5,720
Default

I don't know about Southern Alberta maybe they're easier to hunt but they're pretty tough animals to hunt in the wild in Northern Alberta good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:08 PM
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,700
Default

Great first post

If you’re doing a documentary on invasive species, the last one I would try and get footage of is a wild boar in alberta. There’s a lot of other ones that would be a better choice and that are doing far more damage than wild boars
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:13 PM
qanda qanda is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Great first post

If you’re doing a documentary on invasive species, the last one I would try and get footage of is a wild boar in alberta. There’s a lot of other ones that would be a better choice and that are doing far more damage than wild boars
I really am open to suggestions if you could point me in a direction. I chose the wild boar because I thought it would make for the most interesting footage.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:16 PM
crazy_davey crazy_davey is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Foothills
Posts: 2,337
Default

Feral horses on the eastern slopes? Don’t need a guide to find those…
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:16 PM
wind drift wind drift is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 730
Default

Go for Prussian carp. So invasive, they must be engineered by aliens.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:18 PM
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qanda View Post
I really am open to suggestions if you could point me in a direction. I chose the wild boar because I thought it would make for the most interesting footage.
Wild boars are essentially non existant
The wild horse problem would be a good one
Same with the Prussian carp
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:20 PM
Smokinyotes Smokinyotes is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: onoway, Ab
Posts: 7,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Wild boars are essentially non existant
The wild horse problem would be a good one
Same with the Prussian carp
Or Liberals, they have been invading Calgary and Edmonton more and more all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:27 PM
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Or Liberals, they have been invading Calgary and Edmonton more and more all the time.
Lol
Open season on them too
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:51 PM
qanda qanda is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Wild boars are essentially non existant
The wild horse problem would be a good one
Same with the Prussian carp
I must admit I'm not much of an outdoorsman. Would there be an easy way for me to tell the difference between feral horses and domesticated ones?

As for the Prussian carp, while it would make a good talking point in the doc I need something that is easier to film with the resources I currently have. I think I have to look at land animals so that I can capture their environmental impact on camera (crop destruction, etc.).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2023, 07:52 PM
freeride freeride is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qanda View Post
I must admit I'm not much of an outdoorsman. Would there be an easy way for me to tell the difference between feral horses and domesticated ones?

As for the Prussian carp, while it would make a good talking point in the doc I need something that is easier to film with the resources I currently have. I think I have to look at land animals so that I can capture their environmental impact on camera (crop destruction, etc.).
If your from Calgary head out to McLean and you will find some feral horses.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:05 PM
roper1 roper1 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wheatland County
Posts: 5,717
Default

Which University are you affiliated with ?
__________________
If you're not a Liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not a Conservative when you're old, you have no brain. Winston Churchill

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:07 PM
huntinstuff's Avatar
huntinstuff huntinstuff is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 9,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Feral horses on the eastern slopes? Don’t need a guide to find those…
This.

You want to envoke every argument, delusion, romance, science, fact and fiction? This is your topic. It's real, it's an issue and it's all there for you.
__________________
When you are born, you get a ticket to the Freak Show.
If you are born in Canada, you get a front row seat.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:26 PM
marky_mark marky_mark is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Which University are you affiliated with ?
This for one
Second who’s funding your documentary?
Third the feral horses would be your best bet
They are pretty easy to tell.
The feral horses are the ones that you will probably hit with your vehicle when your driving to go find them
Go to nordegg and head north
Can’t miss them
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:36 PM
Savage Bacon's Avatar
Savage Bacon Savage Bacon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Calgary-Red Deer area
Posts: 3,325
Default

There is also the two legged cougar that I just heard this morning on the radio are invading Home Depot lumber aisles looking for unsuspecting prey. Maybe someone doing some home renovations would let you tag along?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm not really a licensed bodyman or heavy duty mechanic. I just play one at work.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:44 PM
Scopithorne Scopithorne is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 102
Default

Well invasive species would be a good topic to bring to light. In my opinion I'd love to see one done on over predation and the effects on the wildlife as it may currently be one of the biggest issues faced by wildlife in the province..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:49 PM
C&C Outdoors's Avatar
C&C Outdoors C&C Outdoors is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort saskatchewan
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
There is also the two legged cougar that I just heard this morning on the radio are invading Home Depot lumber aisles looking for unsuspecting prey. Maybe someone doing some home renovations would let you tag along?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Lol, exactly!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-03-2023, 08:53 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
There is also the two legged cougar that I just heard this morning on the radio are invading Home Depot lumber aisles looking for unsuspecting prey. Maybe someone doing some home renovations would let you tag along?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Bahahaha
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-03-2023, 09:41 PM
pikergolf's Avatar
pikergolf pikergolf is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
There is also the two legged cougar that I just heard this morning on the radio are invading Home Depot lumber aisles looking for unsuspecting prey. Maybe someone doing some home renovations would let you tag along?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
I always carry wine when I go there. If cornered pull out the wine, make sure the cougar sees it and set it down between you. Slowly back out, don't turn your back, but most times you will get out without incident.
__________________
“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”

Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2023, 10:23 PM
Dewey Cox's Avatar
Dewey Cox Dewey Cox is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 204
Posts: 5,524
Default

The special areas are over run with unicorn.
__________________
"I like to quote my own quotes" ~ Dewey Cox
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-03-2023, 11:05 PM
Trochu's Avatar
Trochu Trochu is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,810
Default

I think you're going to have a tough go finding wild hogs in Alberta.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-04-2023, 12:26 AM
Buckhead Buckhead is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Strathcona County
Posts: 1,902
Default

When I was younger I think I spotted a few at certain establishments right around closing time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-04-2023, 08:26 AM
Grizzly Adams1 Grizzly Adams1 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 3,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Feral horses on the eastern slopes? Don’t need a guide to find those…

X2, guaranteed to make you famous.

Grizz
__________________
Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there is no place, that they be alone in the midst of the Earth.

Isaiah 5:8
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-04-2023, 09:53 AM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
When I was younger I think I spotted a few at certain establishments right around closing time.
Prussian Tarts?...

And I agree with the feral horses. Just drive West of Sundre and you will find them...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-04-2023, 03:32 PM
EZM's Avatar
EZM EZM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
When I was younger I think I spotted a few at certain establishments right around closing time.
My experience has been going to sleep with foxes and waking up with hogs. Things get a little blurry in the late hours .....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-04-2023, 05:11 PM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My experience has been going to sleep with foxes and waking up with hogs. Things get a little blurry in the late hours .....
You pig!...

Kinda like the old song..."Girls look better at closing time"...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-04-2023, 05:14 PM
Twisted Canuck's Avatar
Twisted Canuck Twisted Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: GP AB
Posts: 16,379
Default

I do so love the welcome that people get here posting for the first time. The Home Depot cougar, and putting down the bottle of wine while backing away without breaking eye contact....bahahahah

Classic AO
__________________
'Once the monkeys learn they can vote themselves a banana, they'll never climb another tree.'. Robert Heinlein

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-04-2023, 08:04 PM
qanda qanda is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
This for one
Second who’s funding your documentary?
Third the feral horses would be your best bet
They are pretty easy to tell.
The feral horses are the ones that you will probably hit with your vehicle when your driving to go find them
Go to nordegg and head north
Can’t miss them
I never said I was affiliated with a university. But in the interest of transparency, I will say I am a university student working on creating a website about the importance of biodiversity in Alberta's ecosystems. This project is not part of a scientific or ecological study. I do not receive funding from anyone. The resources I use are contributed by myself or by the two other students working with me on this project. My particular interest is the role "balance" plays in an ecosystem, and through the filming, I am looking to understand how invasive species can upset that balance.

Sorry for any confusion.

Like I said, I am open to suggestions on this topic. I hope to find potential resources or people I should speak to who are affected when this balance is disturbed. They need to be accessible enough that I can collect audio and video. But mostly I wanted to hear what outdoorsmen think is important in this balance and what you all would like to see explored. I hope this clarifies things a bit.
Does anyone have any stories they could tell me about this? Or issues they would like to see investigated or discussed?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-04-2023, 08:42 PM
roper1 roper1 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wheatland County
Posts: 5,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qanda View Post
I never said I was affiliated with a university. But in the interest of transparency, I will say I am a university student working on creating a website about the importance of biodiversity in Alberta's ecosystems. This project is not part of a scientific or ecological study. I do not receive funding from anyone. The resources I use are contributed by myself or by the two other students working with me on this project. My particular interest is the role "balance" plays in an ecosystem, and through the filming, I am looking to understand how invasive species can upset that balance.

Sorry for any confusion.

Like I said, I am open to suggestions on this topic. I hope to find potential resources or people I should speak to who are affected when this balance is disturbed. They need to be accessible enough that I can collect audio and video. But mostly I wanted to hear what outdoorsmen think is important in this balance and what you all would like to see explored. I hope this clarifies things a bit.
Does anyone have any stories they could tell me about this? Or issues they would like to see investigated or discussed?
The forum is subject to the occasional passerby trying to cause a little drama.

Thanks for the clarification. Best of luck with the website!
__________________
If you're not a Liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not a Conservative when you're old, you have no brain. Winston Churchill

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-04-2023, 08:59 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 5,059
Default

I can't remember but are you not supposed to lay down and play dead if you see a two legged cougar . I heard they will come and play with you until one of you is all played out then they will go home .
If I am wrong ,please don't think I am a wild pig like most men are .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.