Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Hunting Tip

Moose, elk, deer and sheep will be laying down 60% of the time to chew cud and sleep. Cattle have the same habits and reaction to weather changes. When you see cattle in fields laying down so will the wild game so dont expect to see them standing or moving much. Of course the rut will change things, but lots can be learned by watching livestock. Horses are different as they dont chew cud and often sleep standing up.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 06:46 PM

Love random tips! Thank you

I’m feelin like this forum is a lot better this year. Most people seem to be in a good place with helpful advice and lots of tips. Keep it up everyone.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Hunting tip

Great tip!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 PM

I was always told that elk moose and deer don't chew cud like a cow...

Their stomachs don't have the same makeup.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Awesome... makes sense to me. Just spent a week hunting in BC and really saw how the upper elevations where we saw cattle were the same elevations where we saw solo mule deer sign and our only mature buck sighting of the week... I am still figuring things out, but it was interesting.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post

All ruminants.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 PM

I've paid attention to this correlation over the years.

Sometimes the tip is valid, other times it is not.

Just a couple of weeks ago as the big snow storm was coming through the foothills, I noticed cows everywhere were bunched up tight and in cover.

I thought the game would be doing the same, and of course they were Not.

Deer and elk and moose everywhere in the open filling their bellies.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Banned

All animals share the same basic principals to include humans:

Food
Water
Shelter
Sex

Hunt accordingly
Old 10-17-2018, 09:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Huh....up on the field the fat soon to be McDonald's burgers were chewing, fartingand laying down and in the coolie the mule deer were wandering around....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Huh....up on the field the fat soon to be McDonald's burgers were chewing, fartingand laying down and in the coolie the mule deer were wandering around....
Ya I was joking with my earlier comment
How many twigs does a moose have to eat in a day compared to how much hay a cow has to eat in a day? I don’t think there is any correlation between what livestock does and what wild game do. If your basing when you hunt off of the feeding schedule of domestic cattle your probably missing out on game.

Just my experience
Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Love random tips! Thank you

I’m feelin like this forum is a lot better this year. Most people seem to be in a good place with helpful advice and lots of tips. Keep it up everyone.
>>
Maybe it's because the cannabis is now legal and the mood is happy-happy?
Kidding, kidding
Old 10-17-2018, 11:29 AM

Default Moose chew cud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post

Actually, moose chew cud about 8 hrs of every day. They browse for food about 8 hrs every day. They have the same 4 stomach parts as do cattle.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Moose, elk, deer and sheep will be laying down 60% of the time to chew cud and sleep. Cattle have the same habits and reaction to weather changes. When you see cattle in fields laying down so will the wild game so dont expect to see them standing or moving much. Of course the rut will change things, but lots can be learned by watching livestock. Horses are different as they dont chew cud and often sleep standing up.
Animals and fish as well follow the effect of the sun, and moon on the earth as to when feeding activity starts and ends. Look up the Solunar tables, most are free and do state when primary and secondary feeding cycles during the month are. That's one reason that fishing is great 2 or so days before and after a new or full moon.
http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

https://www.solunarclock.com/locatio...lberta/Calgary

Last edited by Davey Boy; 10-17-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Animals and fish as well follow the effect of the sun, and moon on the earth as to when feeding activity starts and ends. Look up the Solunar tables, most are free and do state when primary and secondary feeding cycles during the month are. That's one reason that fishing is great 2 or so days before and after a new or full moon.
http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

https://www.solunarclock.com/locatio...lberta/Calgary
that first link would work for fishing not so much for hunting
Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Usually the solunar tables are for both hunting and fishing, the times coincide. Some tables are even listed as Hunting and fishing. The times are not separated into either category. Both the same.

You can look up solunar tables for Hunting as well but they usually say they are for both. Have fun.

Actually the first link states both Hunting and fishing.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 PM

Grouse Hunter said it best. Hunt according to the basics.

Antlercarvers tips are wise. Watching livestock can tell you a few things. If the weather is stable or not. Cattle will lay down more as the barometric pressure(BP)rises. As the BP rises fair weather prevails and animals can relax more. Wild animals included.

sidenote*A companion bird to cattle is the brown headed cowbird. The more cowbirds that are sitting on fence lines or power lines the more chance it will rain. Before a storm front comes the birds will talk lots and then get totally quiet right 15 minutes before the front hits.

Horses like to stand with their noses to the wind so they can be good wind indicators. If horses hear something in the bush all of them will be standing and looking the same way with ears cocked. That can be useful too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Regarding feeding... deer transition to browse for their winter diet after crops have been harvested and fields turned. On a woody browse diet deer will feed longer and during the day. Learn your hunting property by knowing where the best browse is for late season deer. Moose will be in or near the best browse too.

Hunting food plots is very limiting during peak rut. The better choice is to hunt travel corridors. The bucks tend to travel all day long. Hunting travel corridors during rut I have shot most of my deer, big included, between 9 am and 1 pm. If you know where the deer bed intercept them staging to the feed areas. You'll never have to make a last light shot again or have to search for game into the night.

Suns and moons might drive the breeding cycles in ungulates but the times they eat are driven by hunger and necessity. The colder the weather the more they need to feed. Takes a lot more woody browse to produce calories.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-18-2018, 08:21 AM

I agree Red, animals need same nutrition everyday. They do not wait for the "Moon" to determine if they are hungry.