Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Gull lake walleye..

So the wife and I decided to do a walleye draw this year and both were drawn for gull lake. I don't have much walleye experience and have never fished gull lake. We went out today and tried trolling and jigging in both shallow and deep water with and without weeds and not a bite. We got out late at 10:30am and fished until 2:30pm.

I am looking for some sort of guidance on catching walley and/or fishing gull lake. It's close to a 2 hr drive and although we had a great day on the lake, it would be nice to catch some fish. Also, what's a good trolling speed for walleye.

P.s. The bugs were brutal today!

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 AM

I'm not an expert on Gull Lake Walleyes by any stretch of the imagination but I've caught a few. First off I'd say you probably fished the least productive hours of the day if you're targeting walleye. I find early morning or better yet, evening, MUCH more productive for walleye. I've caught them trolling spoons and crankbaits in 10-12 feet of water and on jigs tipped with minnows in 14-20 feet. As for trolling speed, I basically go as slow as I can while still giving the lure enough speed to provide action.

I actually caught a couple nice ones right off the dock at the provincial park using jig and minnow.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 AM

I've caught most of my Gull walleye shallower but then again I've never really targeted them(fished it for pike for tournaments) so I assume if you find decent deeper structure they would be there too.

Short answer is that 4 hours mid day on a new lake doesn't give you much chance to find the fish. Put in a couple longer days covering ground to find spots that look interesting and and as mentioned try and catch the morning or evening bite.

Whether you target shallow, deep or in between I imagine with some work you will find walleye out there as I have always stumbled on my fair share and as mentioned wasn't even fishing for them specifically.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:28 AM

Early morning or late evening will be the best times at Gull. We have the best luck SLOW trolling in 10-15 FOW. My favorite lure is a Live Target Baitball. https://livetargetlures.com/collections/baitball
Our preference is the east side of the lake.
PM me if you want more info
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 PM

try pickerel point 10-15 foot of water.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 AM

If your trolling, use a ( 16 fow ) deep diver hook. And never troll in a st8 line, strikes usually happen when the hook slows down or speeds up on the turns. I like to very slowly wind drift or str8 jigging, bottom bouncing tipped with a leach or minnow.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:05 AM

Go to Sandy point...to the left where that point is and out about 100 yards in 21 feet of water I caught walleyes while ice fishing for whites.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Go to Sandy point...to the left where that point is and out about 100 yards in 21 feet of water I caught walleyes while ice fishing for whites.
I have to agree with this spot. We slayed them Class A walleye there last summer.Even while the kids were swimming they were still biting.