Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Default Fishing the Red Deer.... in Red Deer???

Gonna be staying in Red Deer for a few days next week and will have a few hours to kill. Gonna be near the Lions Campground... what should I be fishing for in this section of the Red Deer? Only time I fish this river is east / south of Drumheller for Goldeyes. Are there Goldeyes this far up? What about browns? Should I bring the 4wt for them or the 7wt for pike / walleye? Is it worth bringin the rod at all?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 03:28 PM

I fish a little further upstream and there are lots of Goldeyes and Whites right now! They seem to be everywhere and hit on anything that moves...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Goldeye and Whites for sure. The bite will be on for a few weeks yet. Any good pools in the river will hold them and no need to leave the city to find good fishing. My favorite spots however are in the Innisfail area.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Sweet! Thanks folks gonna bring the 4wt. and see if I can't hook into a few.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM

What does everyone use, I do alright with a 1/32 gold and black panther martain.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Hey whats up,
send me a pm if u need a tour guide.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Default !!!

Hey UL
Last fall we did well in city limits for browns and whites
I personally would use a 6wt min
There are big dog browns
Cheers, gw
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Gonna be staying in Red Deer for a few days next week and will have a few hours to kill. Gonna be near the Lions Campground... what should I be fishing for in this section of the Red Deer? Only time I fish this river is east / south of Drumheller for Goldeyes. Are there Goldeyes this far up? What about browns? Should I bring the 4wt for them or the 7wt for pike / walleye? Is it worth bringin the rod at all?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks
My son and I spent the summer targeting Browns on the Red Deer and landed over 30 between us. Most were well over 20" with some real wieght to them. When you add the current they are a handful and make some impressive runs. My advice is bring the 7 wt. There is also some very large Walleye in the 10lb range and pike.

025.JPG

Hit or miss on matching the hatch. Last time out the water was boiling with them and the only fish took a streamer after tormenting him for 15 minutes. I have no idea what they were rising for. Last week caddis, week before olive drake etc etc...every night it seems they are looking for something different.

Nice big White fish there as well. They seem to grab a shrimp type fly on a dropper nearly every cast in the slower moving water.

I'll be out there when the weather breaks, send a PM if you would like more info.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Default flys

What kinda flys are you using when going after the big browns?. Where from innisfail I would like to go by the water plant but cant get access.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info gents. I'll take both and see what's biting. Only gonna have 2-3 hours so not much time for exploring etc. Just gonna kill some time and see if I can't hook up. If I had more time I would definitely be into the full tour / more info. Really gotta make more time for the Red Deer next year. Where the he11 did this summer go?

Quote:
What kinda flys are you using when going after the big browns?
Quote:
Hit or miss on matching the hatch. Last time out the water was boiling with them and the only fish took a streamer after tormenting him for 15 minutes. I have no idea what they were rising for. Last week caddis, week before olive drake etc etc...every night it seems they are looking for something different.
Sounds like you gotta try lots of stuff to see what they're taking. Beauty brown there BTW. Can't beat a brown on a dry!