Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 09:17 PM

Default New motorcycles

Been kind of talked into buying a cruiser type bike now. Currently riding a ninja 1000. Not very comfortable for those long treks.

I like the looks of the Indian chiefs, And the Harley street glides.

What would you guys recommend for a cruiser style bike with some get up and go for those longer, multi day rides?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Banned

really hard to beat japanese for comfort and reliability.......they don't have te attitude though.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Triumph bikes are incredible now.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Default Bmw s 1000 r

Coming off a Supersport litre bike, you won't be happy with a cruiser... Get a naked touring bike, something that you sit more upright.

* As uncomfortable as they are, after 20 years I still couldn't bring myself to buy a "cruiser". Even with lower back issues.

And put a Sargent touring seat on it, they're super comfy...

Old 07-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Check out the Ural. New engines this year.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Being on Kawis and Honda's for the past many years I know the jap bikes are hard to beat.

I do like the look and feel of the euro bikes. Ktm and BMW.

But I've been hearing the harleys roar around town and kinda think I might look good on one. Lol
Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
Triumph bikes are incredible now.
I bought a 2014 Triumph Thunderbird Storm with 3k kms cheap and its been awesome.
Ill never own a Harley.....
Old 07-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Jake View Post
Been kind of talked into buying a cruiser type bike now. Currently riding a ninja 1000. Not very comfortable for those long treks.

I like the looks of the Indian chiefs, And the Harley street glides.

What would you guys recommend for a cruiser style bike with some get up and go for those longer, multi day rides?

Hear good things about the Kawasaki's.

I test drove a few of the Indian cycles...ya wow.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Maybe a Honda Grom? Hehe
Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM

What?? No Harley guys here , it figures. I ride a Road Glide. Why? They handle great, ABS brakes, cruise control and a list of other improvements over the years. They are the sexiest bikes out there. Chicks dig-em! NUFF SAID!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler1 View Post
What?? No Harley guys here , it figures. I ride a Road Glide. Why? They handle great, ABS brakes, cruise control and a list of other improvements over the years. They are the sexiest bikes out there. Chicks dig-em! NUFF SAID!
Some of us are not looking for a 300+ lbs 'chick' called Bertha that smells and tastes like a pack of Malbros.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM

Smile

Sorry if I hurt your feelers! Did not mean to. I like all women. I also learned in sensitivity training that your sexual orientation is none of my business. HAHAHA
Old 07-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
If you think that a Harley Road Glide handles great, your definition of handling is much different than most people's.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 AM

The last 4 bikes I had were Hayabusa's. Amazing bike, great handling, excellent mileage. I put Corbin beetle bags (hard) on one of them, the wife loved them because her legs were protected. She nearly fell asleep several times on the 'Busa.

I am not old enough for a Harley. I don't think I ever will, hate them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Ever ride one? Probably not
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you think that a Harley Road Glide handles great, your definition of handling is much different than most people's.
How many 09 and newer road glides have you ridden? The change in 09 was dramatic and they have kept improving. I would dare to say that the Harley touring platform is the best handling of all the touring platforms.

The handling of most bikes exceeds the abilities of their riders regardless. I still laugh at the fella on the sport bike who couldn’t run me down on my Harley deuce. That is not because my deuce outperforms his sport bike, it’s because I outperformed the rider. Until you drag the floorboard hinges of a road glide you don’t know how it handles.

Not a Harley fan, I’m a motorcycle fan. I’ve owned or ridden so many bikes and never found a bad bike. Some bikes are better at certain things than other bikes.
I think it’s hilarious how many people hate harleys and have never ridden one. Or compare the 883 sportster to their hayabusa. That’s like comparing a hammer to a washing machine.

I’ll race any liter bike on a road glide to 10,000km. See what I did there, I beat a jixxer with a road glide using its strengths.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Compared to what? Hopefully other big cruisers.

You should try one of the new M8's, smooth like butter with lots of get up and go without add on's. WAY too spendy for this guy though, $30,000K for a recreational vehicle is just ABSURD to me.

Out of the OP's two choices of Indian or Harley it's a no brainer. HD

Check out Indianmotorcycles.net and look at all the problems Poo-laris is having with the simplest of things like gauges fogging up and fenders rusting, chrome flaking, along with a laundry list of other problems. And customers are being denied warranty for the silliest of reasons, most often "operator error". Typical Poo-laris stuff, selling junk and not taking care of their customers. And look at the resale of them, guys are taking HUGE baths on them trying to unload them. I'm sure most of them are good bikes but what if it's one of the many lemons they produce? Polaris will get there with their issues but they arnt there yet.
But if that is what your into, by all means buy what YOU wanna buy, your the one that has to ride it.

Harley's are far from perfect but there's a dealer on every second corner and the Moco is pretty good about warranty issues.

No doubt Jap bikes are top shelf for quality and that's simply undeniable, but they lack a soul and you didn't mention them otherwise I would highly recomend a Metric bike.

HD's are WAY overpriced (as are Indians) and not the best quality (compared to a Metric) but once you kick a leg over one and bring it to life you will know why they are so popular.

In my 25 years of riding the most DB's I've come across are BMW owners, aka, the safety brigade.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
They do make a pretty nice bike for sure, what I want to know is why does every Harley rider have to dress up like Halloween, I love the face mask bandannas and all the tassels and patches, god I laugh at that.......
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
They do make a pretty nice bike for sure, what I want to know is why does every Harley rider have to dress up like Halloween, I love the face mask bandannas and all the tassels and patches, god I laugh at that.......
Because it's part of the image, Many wear cheap crappy helmets that are next to worthless, most do not wear protective gloves or protective jackets or pants, because they aren't cool.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
I think it’s the same reason that so many cyclists dress like they’re competing in the Tour De France when merely riding to their office job or out for a leisure ride. Same goes for the gun show attendees who show up in full camo at the Stampede grounds just adjacent downtown in the middle of a city of 1.35 million people. Everyone flies their various team logos, etc but at times it becomes a bit much when it’s beaten to death and becomes cliche. With Harley’s there’s both the actual biker gang types (the minority) but also the Hell’s Managers / Hell’s Realtors contingent who play dress up (the majority). Do Harley’s even start unless you’re wearing one or more items of HD branded clothes & accessories, are there proximity sensors in the ignition systems tied to RFID tags in the clothes?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Maybe a Honda Grom? Hehe
I know a guy that's riding across Canada on his Grom.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I know a guy that's riding across Canada on his Grom.
Need a Honda ruckus

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 PM

If you really want a cruiser, the Indian Chieftain Dark Horse is the only way to go. That's my next next cruiser after my time is up with my current cruiser - Victory Highball.
Are going insane.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Jake View Post
Been kind of talked into buying a cruiser type bike now.
Just curious, but who is talking you into this?

My money is on you are convincing yourself you need a different bike.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Rode an electriglide, and street glide. Both were decent bikes.... now on a Yamaha fjr 1300 sport/tour. very comfortable and power too boot!!
Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 PM

Those New Honda Gold-wings look great. Awesome power, comfort.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 PM

No one mentioned the Dodge Tomahawk motorcycle. Be nice to take for a quick spin. Doesn't look to comfy though.

Does anyone ride Victory motorcycles? Nice looking touring bikes.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
No one mentioned the Dodge Tomahawk motorcycle. Be nice to take for a quick spin. Doesn't look to comfy though.

Does anyone ride Victory motorcycles? Nice looking touring bikes.
Had not heard of that one so looked it up. Talk about a back ache, not to mention the heat stroke from the engine heat.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Rode an electriglide, and street glide. Both were decent bikes.... now on a Yamaha fjr 1300 sport/tour. very comfortable and power too boot!!
I was going to suggest this bike but the op mentioned cruiser......great bike!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

My money is on you are convincing yourself you need a different bike.
That's probably it lol. As well as working with a bunch of guys that ride harleys