Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
Thanks Gust. I always appreciate your input.
What about when they talk about how to tie the elastic to the coat hanger to prevent snagging? Any light on that information would be greatly helpful too. Thanks!

Mike
You rarely snag with the coat hanger, hence the coat hanger,, it provides the weight for casting and then a natural flow of your line,, the pencil lead moves the fly/sjw like a man with a bad hangover walking uphill in steel toe boots if you get my drift.

Always cast upstream at a 45 angle, rod straight out but perpendicular to your line and just reel in the slack. SJW or Wulff or Royal Coachman #12 should be short snelled and at least 18" above coathanger,,, don't use threeways.

For goldeye, use super light tackle, go fish upstream of the Morin Bridge, catch a sucker or a chub, cut belly meat into small strips, and............ oh right, wrong thread.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
You rarely snag with the coat hanger, hence the coat hanger,, it provides the weight for casting and then a natural flow of your line,, the pencil lead moves the fly/sjw like a man with a bad hangover walking uphill in steel toe boots if you get my drift.

Always cast upstream at a 45 angle, rod straight out but perpendicular to your line and just reel in the slack. SJW or Wulff or Royal Coachman #12 should be short snelled and at least 18" above coathanger,,, don't use threeways.

For goldeye, use super light tackle, go fish upstream of the Morin Bridge, catch a sucker or a chub, cut belly meat into small strips, and............ oh right, wrong thread.
hehehe
thanks Gust. I'm going to give this coat hanger a try tomorrow (or today rather i should say). Hopefully I'll be able to land some whites. I've been told whites are relatively more difficult in the summer. Probably going to get skunked....

I will try anyways.....

Mike
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 AM

if your fishing a hole go up stream and look in water and wander around in water looking under the rocks just turn the bottom towards you to match the hatch or feed

then come back to the hole and fish ....the whitefish in the hole that may have been dormant are now turn on feeding as when one in the school starts to feed the whole school is now turn on ..

ooopppps ss its like chumming the hole but its natural as you walk around in the river you stirred up the bottom and fed the hole

I have had a hole that I could only get 2 small ones turn on and got 60 in less than 1 hr lots way bigger

Food for Thought
David
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
Can someone please explain to me how to set up this "coat hanger" style rig?
How does a coat hanger and an elastic help prevent snagging?

The coat hanger will tend to snag on the bottom a lot less than a lead weight. you are able to usually pull it through 2 rocks when it does get snagged because it will bend itself narrower as it is pulled. The rubber band only comes into play when the rig does get snagged. When you can't get it out of a snag, the rubber band's purpose is to break. When that happens, you reel in the line and only have to replace the piece of coat hanger and a new rubber band instead of the entire rig. Choose a rubber band that will have a breaking strength of slightly less than your fishing line.

Edit: I should have added somewhere in there that the rubber band goes at the very end of your line and connects to the hanger.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM

in place of the coat hanger i have used nails and they work great as well. carry various sizes for the speed of the current to get you bouncing on the bottom
Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Also bring a pair of side cutters to trim the coat hanger and fine tune it's weight.

Too light and the current wont let it hit the bottom all the way as it sweeps downstream. Too heavy and it will drag and get caught up just like any other weight.

The perfect balance is to have the bottom tips touching the bottom and the top of the v able to lift just off the bottom with the slightest tug from the rod.

Learn to balance the rod on your finger, and as the rig sweeps downstream and you will be able to feel it as it moves along the bottom of the river.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
in place of the coat hanger i have used nails and they work great as well. carry various sizes for the speed of the current to get you bouncing on the bottom
Nails will work well for a pebble, sandy, or small rock bottom.
The coat hanger shines when there is larger rocks along the bottom of the pool.

With larger rocks, come all sorts of crevices that the nail can get lodged into. The best thing about nails is that their weight is consistent from 1 to another.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM

Try those instead of a coat hunger:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=enRed Wolf Bottom Bouncer Walking Sinkers

in CT

Those worked better for me