Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Default Rapala Magnum Rod

I am planning the buy a Rapala Magnum 7 foot medium in a Spin. I dont want to go too expensive on a rod for pike/walleye. I know it's quite sensitive. I was wondering if anyone knew much about them? Are they any good? is there a better rod at that price range?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM

get a differnt brand the rapala reels ddont last long at all
Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Correct me if im wrong but those rods are around $50?? If i was buying a pike rod right now for 50 bucks i would grab a Shimano Voltaeus. Very solid rods, "indestructible", nice and sensetive, all around good rod.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
get a differnt brand the rapala reels ddont last long at all
he was asking about the rod not rapala reels........
Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 PM

thouht it was a combo like the other rap rods but the shimano voltues are amazing
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
thouht it was a combo like the other rap rods but the shimano voltues are amazing
I checked the Voltaeus out at the store and didn't like them one bit!!!! Have a 7" med, fast action Rapala rod (I believe its a Magnum) I bought 2 years ago that has been my favorite rod to date, and was only about 40 or 50 bucks I think. Still works great, no complaints, may even stick with it, but I've picked up a couple more high end rods this winter I hope will be even better, but yet to try out. Found some nice Quantum rods around $40-$50 I thought were very nice for the price, maybe check them out.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM

I mentioned the magnum rods in another thread.

I run the 5'6" light weight rods for jigging walleyes and love them. They seem pretty sensitive and are pretty light weight. I would say buy one if you like it and see how it is. I am sure if you don't like it that there will be someone that will buy it off of you.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM

nate have you ever used a rap reel?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
nate have you ever used a rap reel?
My buddy runs a rapala reel, its not as good as shimano reels but it beats the crap out of zebco.

Its overall not a bad reel, not great tho.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM

I have a small rapala reel on my light weight perch rig. I am not a big fan of it but it works for the perch. I will stick to the pflueger presidents or trions I think. Decent price and I haven't had any fail yet on me.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 PM

My personal choice, mainly because Ive used one for longer than most of the posters on here have been walking, is an uglystick. I stepped on and broke my original a couple years ago, with about a million miles on it, and now have the same rod in the ultralight 7 1/2 foot medium action, and feel no need to try anything else. I fish mainly for pike and have never had one problem with the rod and big fish, and if I step on this one I will buy another one, after I beat myself with the broken one for doing it again. The ugly was natural, I didnt need to be beaten for that

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 PM

I love the Voltaeus. I use a 6'6" for my walleye and just picked up a 5'6" at the fishin hole show. They have a fast tip on them so they show the lightest bites. They also have a nice cork handle. A feel its a great buy for $43.00, the 7' is $55 and comes in med or med/light.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I love the Voltaeus. I use a 6'6" for my walleye and just picked up a 5'6" at the fishin hole show. They have a fast tip on them so they show the lightest bites. They also have a nice cork handle. A feel its a great buy for $43.00, the 7' is $55 and comes in med or med/light.
X2!!!!! Picked up a 5'6" UL at the show also. Im loading up my little Shimano Syncopate with 5lb PowerPro, 6lb fluro leader. I will be casting lil' panther martins miles and miles!!
Can't wait to get out and nail some cutties!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 PM

I dont like The Schimano Voltaeus at all. Rapala reels I dont like either. But Rapala Rods are okay. I get to play around with different rods twice a week cause I work at Wholesale sports. I was just wondering if anyone ever used one. I couldnt find many reviews onlinee. Thank you guys!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM

I second the voltaeus. Esp now there's a $20 mir on it with a shimano reel. Can't go wrong.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
My buddy runs a rapala reel, its not as good as shimano reels but it beats the crap out of zebco.

Its overall not a bad reel, not great tho.
Any Zebco I have owned didn't even last through a season and I noticed line tangling in the reel was very common. IMO I would read the unbiased reviews on Bass pro before purchasing a zebco.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I have a small rapala reel on my light weight perch rig. I am not a big fan of it but it works for the perch. I will stick to the pflueger presidents or trions I think. Decent price and I haven't had any fail yet on me.
X2 that I believe Pflugers are made of gold for their price. I been running the same Pfluger president for 6 years of heavy use and it runs just as smooth as new.(touch wood). I also believe that they are a very sweet looking reel and look like a top end reel IMO. I swear I will be using that reel till the side plates fall off, which should be a loooong time.lol

I'm thinking I should get another president reel soon because they probably won't make them forever and I would have a good back up future replacement reel.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 PM

As for Rapala rods, I wouldn't recomend any from Walmart. My old man bought one for $50.00 there and it was very light and sensitive and performed awesome for four months. One day he snagged a rock and just gently jerked the rod and the rod snapped into two pieces. He liked the performance and lightness of the rapala so much that he was beside himself for the whole day lol.

He decided to go with a Berkley lighting rod prolight for a replacement, and so far, it has been a light great preforming, and highly reliable rod. His lightning rod has been used heavilly for 6 years as well. The thing I like about the lightning prolights is that they have a soft tip to detect very light strikes from walleye and have enough backbone to easilly hook a pike or a walleye. I personally run a berkley lightning rod that is 6 years old, has been heavilly used, is very light and has tons of backbone for hooking big ice gators at Wab or hooking summer walleye. My lightning rod is the IM6 model and has more sensitivty than my dad's lighting prolight IMO. Mine seems to lack the soft tip to easilly detect very light bites though, but the extra sensitivity allows me to feel those very light bites through the handle. Both rods have hard chrome guides to handle super line as well. Lol I could probably preach on all day about Berkely lighting rods but will say that the IM6s cost $46.95 and the prolites unfortunately aren't being made anymore.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
Any Zebco I have owned didn't even last through a season and I noticed line tangling in the reel was very common. IMO I would read the unbiased reviews on Bass pro before purchasing a zebco.
I know, I think you mis-read. What I meant is that anything made by Zebco is a POS
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I know, I think you mis-read. What I meant is that anything made by Zebco is a POS
Lol, one day when I was walleye fishing my friend, he was getting frustrated about his zebco not working, so I was nice enough to lend him my Pfluger reel and lightning rod setup to him while I used his Zebco. Sure enough the line continually tangles up in the zebco reel. Near the end of the day I asked if I could have my setup back and he was starting to give me a bit of a hard time about it. I finally got the setup back at the end of the day. It wasn't that long after that the same friend bought himslef a much higher end reel from a different company.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM

I've just bought the Rapala Magnum (spin) rod a few days ago and only put it down to sleep, veeerrrry sensitive action, great casting (with the proper line) I don't care what anyone says but if your getting tangles/snags/nests of your line in the reel its not your rod..... Anyhow I wouldn't recommend it for pike and walleye as they are a decent fight especially in their bigger size. I find just the 5lb bass I'm getting with it are quite the hull, the price is right though, for 35$ at walmart you can't go wrong. Personally for pike and walleye I recommend Uglystick rods for both durability & price.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
As for Rapala rods, I wouldn't recomend any from Walmart. My old man bought one for $50.00 there and it was very light and sensitive and performed awesome for four months. One day he snagged a rock and just gently jerked the rod and the rod snapped into two pieces. He liked the performance and lightness of the rapala so much that he was beside himself for the whole day lol.
He decided to go with a Berkley lighting rod prolight for a replacement, and so far, it has been a light great preforming, and highly reliable rod. His lightning rod has been used heavilly for 6 years as well. The thing I like about the lightning prolights is that they have a soft tip to detect very light strikes from walleye and have enough backbone to easilly hook a pike or a walleye. I personally run a berkley lightning rod that is 6 years old, has been heavilly used, is very light and has tons of backbone for hooking big ice gators at Wab or hooking summer walleye. My lightning rod is the IM6 model and has more sensitivty than my dad's lighting prolight IMO. Mine seems to lack the soft tip to easilly detect very light bites though, but the extra sensitivity allows me to feel those very light bites through the handle. Both rods have hard chrome guides to handle super line as well. Lol I could probably preach on all day about Berkely lighting rods but will say that the IM6s cost $46.95 and the prolites unfortunately aren't being made anymore.
Sounds like it was stepped on prior to use(not broke but damaged). Graphite rods are not indestructible. Rod was likely nicked or something. Does not take much to weaken them.

Quite common to blame the rod for breaking when 95% time it is "operator error"!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Are you aware that quantum is part of zebco?

Guess not

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Ugly stick. All you need to know when buying economy rods
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Ugly stick. All you need to know when buying economy rods
if you want no sensitivity and one of the heavier rods out there. ya they are tough but the only time i would use one is for trolling
Old 07-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
if you want no sensitivity and one of the heavier rods out there. ya they are tough but the only time i would use one is for trolling
they do make more than one rod. I think they have like 30 different rods now. I buy them for the kids and still have a few of my old ones kicking around for guests. Also my wife and girlfriend both use them. No way Im letting them flail around with my loomis stuff.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
they do make more than one rod. I think they have like 30 different rods now. I buy them for the kids and still have a few of my old ones kicking around for guests. Also my wife and girlfriend both use them. No way Im letting them flail around with my loomis stuff.
Oh I know they make more then one rod but they are all made the same way making them heavy and not sensitive at all.

They are good for beginners and youth but anyone wanting more out of a fishing rod shouldn't even bother looking at them.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
wife and girlfriend
Wife AND girlfriend??? Well done sir
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Wife AND girlfriend??? Well done sir
I was curious how long it would take for someone to catch that. Just a wee reading comprehension test and all but one failed.