Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Default new to fishing

hi there, my GF and i are new to fishing, we just got our licences and are looking at heading to dickson pond for the weekend, can any one offer any tips on fishing this body of water, also just to confirm where on glennifer lake is dickson pond?? after searching the internet i found various maps of the lake with different areas marked as being the pond and now im stumped lol, please help this eager newbie. also what is the best setup for this area? many thanks guys/girls
Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 AM

There should be a post on the first or second page titled Trout Bait. That would be a good place to start for tips on fishing that lake. As for directions, I've never been there, but I'm sure there's signage along the way.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM

the pond is on the west side of the lake right by the camp grounds on the NW corner. There are alot of suckers in the pond as well. use your typical trout type power baits or corn and you will catch some.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM

thanks for the quick replies. the nw corner is where i have seen it located on one of the maps, thanks for pinpointing the location.

where you mention power baits, what are they exactly?, as i mentioned we are new to fishing and any help is appreciated
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM

Use mini colored marshmallows with a pickerel rig.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM

go to canadian tire, the power baits come in little jars and are like a putty, pink, green, yellow etc. you just make a small ball of this and cover your hook with it.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 AM

thanks for the help guys, well im off for what i hope is a decent weekend of bites
Old 07-27-2013, 01:50 AM

It should be noted that since the oil spill on the red deer river upstream there might be advisories at Dickson pond. Anyone know for sure?

There used to be a few trout brood stock released in the pond too so don't be afraid to try a small rapala or five of diamons spoon too. The brood stock trout are 5 to 7 pound fish that were retired from breeding programs and released.

Because of the oil spill you might want to consider driving a little further west to some of the other trout lakes. Closer to Rocky or Caroline are some great trout ponds and lakes.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 AM

fishing was poor at dickson pond, when i caught a sucker it must of been the highlight of the day as a lot of the fishermen/women there came to watch as most had no catches that day. oil spill wasnt evident at the pond which was very well attended