Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So I attempted a little self-education and perused the rangers website. Though they are a branch of the Reserves, in purpose/role they seem to be primarily a search and rescue/ eyes and ears sort of force. They aren't trained to take on foreign military forces they might encounter, hence the bolt action hunting rifle rather than an automatic or sniper variant. Makes sense. HOWEVER, that said, I would think the weapons needed would be no different than the rifle that would be supplied to park wardens, conservation officers, etc. to deal with problem bears, angry elk, moose, etc. I'm pretty sure they don't get $6,700 rifles. Strikes me any quality rifle with a synthetic or laminate stock with stainless steel barrel/action would do the trick.

Problem with the current purchase is that we aren't even buying it from the manufacturer. We are buying it from Colt, who will then have to pay licensing fee etc. to Sako. Should have just gone to Sako, or better yet, order 6500 Sakos through Cabelas.
The rangers were involved in the requirements for the rifle to meet their needs. The rifles did not cost $6K, the rifles, parts, accessories, tech spec and likely 20 years of support for factory level repair likely cost the price noted.

You could buy 6500 rifles, but what do you do when they need repair? What happens in 15 years when they need depot level maintainence so they can be reissued?