Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Default Jiffy Ice Auger 60i

Just got my first power auger yesterday , a gift from my wife . I brought out the family for a couple of hours on the lake today and on the first hole the thumb throttle snapped . Cheap plastic garbage . However it still made short work of about 15" of ice . Not one fish either , now that's just plain embarrassing. Insult and injured pride all in one day. What I can't understand is that it broke as I was holding it down and still drilling , I could see if it broke on the lift out and my hand slipped , but in the middle of drilling the hole ? Sad stuff , when the company forgets that their outdoor equipment needs to be durable .
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM

That's pretty dirty considering Jiffy is supposed to be an up there auger.
I have an Eskimo and Rapala, I was surprised how durable the Eskimo is for the smaller cc auger, and haven't gotten the Rapala out much yet to see what it's like. Better be good.
Take it back?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM

Default Yup on it's way

Take it back or dump this thing quick , I just read the posts about it earlier . wow this thing really sounds like a piece of junk ... according to a lot of people on this site ...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Default agreed!

Couldn't agree more. Bought one on the weekend (good price so I didn't look it up first). Brought it home and filled it with gas and tried starting it in the warm garage. Wouldn't start and on the 3rd pull the handle broke off. Stay away from this one. I returned it an hour after picking mine up!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM

get NILS!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default auger problems

I have the same auger and after minimal use pulled the recoil right out of itbought a new heavy duty Ricoil from the lawn mower hospital now it seems to run good but it still takes a good 5 to 8 pulls to start do not recommend it but it does the job for now
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Default Wow

these things are really destroying a good name in a big hurry , I guess "made in America " stands for nothing now ... Wow really sad ... I guess this thing will go back as soon as I can get back to Canadian Tire on the weekend ...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM

did Canadian tire end up taking yours back, i am having problems with them after the same thing just happened to mine, and the fact that it takes about 15 pulls to start the dam thing, ...... wish i still had my old strikemaster.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM

I bought a Jiffy pro before x -mass, took it home and put ot together, one pull and the cord puuled out and the plastic housing cracked, after a few minutes of looking it over I decided there was way to many cheap plastic components for the $, packed it up and returned the unit for another make.I had an older Jiffy that was 30 years old and it never caused me any grief.