Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 AM

Default Need input on boat transportation

Hey guys, i have a bit of a dilemma.

I am picking up a harbercraft boat in april in tsawwassen , that is 9'6" long by 53" at is widest (beam). I will be picking it up with a honda ridgeline truck. But my problem is, my beds width is 49.5 inches, length is 60". Trailering the boat is definitely not an option.

Ive thought of a couple ideas so far but havn't been too confident in them. I do have a rack on top of the truck, that could support the boat, but its not the proper length to support the back end of the boat.

Thoughts of perhaps a cradle to hold the boat in the bed have occurred, but i wouldnt know where to start with creating one.

Has anyone had an experience similar to this, and have any insight? I would really appreciate it. I am looking for a solution to cartop this boat, to and from fishing locations, aside from the first transportation from tsawwassen to edmonton.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 AM

Default Plug in the welding machine

Sounds to me like you need a rack for the tailgate end of your truck as well.
Is this how you are going to transport it all the time? In/on your truck?
If so, then why not do it right and build a proper rack for the front and back?
Another option is to build a hitch on the front of your truck that you could put a T shaped bracket in the receiver. It would come up slightly higher than your cab. It would be removable.
So in this instance your boat would ride above the cab and towards the front.
(You could do the same for the tailgate end as well)
Where do you live? You need a good fabricator- like me
To do it right and with metal, you are looking at a few dollars.
If you are going to trailer it once you get it home, then you can cheap out with some lumber, screws and crazy glue

If anything, you now have a little more to think about.
Carry on!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM

Foam pads for the box rails and the end gate.. Put your boat in with the transom facing the truck cab. ( pointy part facing backwards )

3 Straps accross the top / to the underside of the box .

the boat will sit between the box just fine

Dont overthink it.....
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM

Build a support bracket that will slide into your trailer hitch. Make it ajustable in height an width. This along with the rack on top of your cab should work, and it is removable.Hope this helps.
PG
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM

I used to use a couple pieces of timber placed across the bedrails and secured in the stake pockets. I'd put my aluminum boat on top of the timbers and strap it down. I could store all my gear in the box of the truck and still access the tailgate. Not sure how well this would work with the sloped rails of the Honda but it might be ok.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM

I don't think you can just slide to the back of the cab. It will hang out over 5ft. and that I think would be a big problem.

Start searching utube and I am gonna bet someone has made something for their truck that will work for you.

I would also look for a used snowbear trailer. The 8ft. can be made into 12 and they are 54 inches wide and the sides can also be removed. Besides then you have a place for your motor and gear also.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
Foam pads for the box rails and the end gate.. Put your boat in with the transom facing the truck cab. ( pointy part facing backwards )

3 Straps accross the top / to the underside of the box .

the boat will sit between the box just fine

Dont overthink it.....
I was thinking something like this, coupled with support bracket for the transom that would eliminate the issues with an over hanging transom. But the ridgelines sloped rails may cause an issue with that.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I used to use a couple pieces of timber placed across the bedrails and secured in the stake pockets. I'd put my aluminum boat on top of the timbers and strap it down. I could store all my gear in the box of the truck and still access the tailgate. Not sure how well this would work with the sloped rails of the Honda but it might be ok.
This is how it's done . Easyeasy lemon squeazzy.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 PM

Use to haul my 11' aluminum in the back of a Chevy Colorado. Transom in first, one strap across the back, another strop across the middle then tied the bow down to the receiver hitch. If length past the box is an issue, just put some red/flame orange marking tape on the bow, let it hand down a foot or so.

Lumber, foam pads and the like will help protect your box and boat.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro