Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 PM

Default portable fishfinder

I am looking to buy a portable fishfinder.
Can anyone tell me the difference between bottomline fishing buddy (sold by the fishin' hole) and the hummingbird fishing buddy. Are they the same, or is there a difference??
If so, what is the better unit, and who sells humminbird in Edmonton or Red Deer.
Does any off you guys or gals have one of those units, and would you recommend it?
Thanks goodold303
Old 09-24-2008, 06:28 PM

Smile Portable fish finder

Just make your fish finder portable. I have a Hummingbird that I put some large alligator clips on to attach it to my battery. Then I attached the transponder to a 1" X 2" board. I cut that to length to fit on my transom. I mounted the Hummingbird onto a 1" X 6" that is 16" long. I attached a clamp to that board and with the clamp I attach the board with the transponder onto the transom. I suppose I can take a few pictures and show you what it looks like.

I have an inflateable that I attach the whole thing to the transom. I don't have to worry about leaving it on all the time. I can take it and mount it on any boat I want.

Rob
Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Great Idea! I would also appreciate a few pics of your set-up.
Thx in advance.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the responce kingfisher. The reason that I was looking for these units is that I dont have a battery in my boat, and it being a small boat, I was hoping to avoid the battery just to save on space. But post the pics anyway, seems that other people are interested in your setup (perhaps you change my mind aswell).
Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodold303 View Post
Thanks for the responce kingfisher. The reason that I was looking for these units is that I dont have a battery in my boat, and it being a small boat, I was hoping to avoid the battery just to save on space. But post the pics anyway, seems that other people are interested in your setup (perhaps you change my mind aswell).
I'd look at any sonar you like and fits your budget, and then simply modify it as suggested to make it portable. It's generally pretty simple to do.

The best way I've found to avoid lugging around a large 12V battery is to use two 6V lantern batteries to power your sonar. It's an easy conversion to wire them for 12V output, and they're far more convenient to pack around. In my experience, they'll give you a couple weeks or more of solid use before they have to be replaced.

Waxy
Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 PM

Smile

I have a 12 foot with a 9.9 and have been using a GPS fish finder for the last 4 years. Its a great tool for river boating etc... The set up I have put together is my finder is mounted to one of those cheap items that sit on the hump of your vehicles floor boards. Mine has a small spot for my knife (what ever) and two cup holders. On that I have a couple of very small bungee straps. These hook just under the seat beside me holding the thing in place even in the roughest water. The whole thing I adapted to a 12 volt plug like a cig lighter. The power unit I had was a Natalus unit from canadian tire. Now I use one that is not as conducive to wet weather but i just keep it covered from the elements with a rag. The transmitter end has a suction cup that I just stick on the back. The 800 watts of power I get from this rechargeable unit last forever and has a light for coming off the water at dusk. (or maybe just a little past). I have the unit sitting off the bottom of the boat by aranging my paddles to they create a little shelf that works perfect for the unit. The unit I use to power it I recharge by a cig lighter in the truck, or plugging it in while the generator is running, but only when I am camping for 3 weeks straight. The whole base with the unit attached and the attached cables I store in a plastic tool box dedicated for the purpose.

Last edited by Baitcaster; 09-25-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM

love to see a pic of it - thinking of some DIY work myself...
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Humminbird bought Bottom line. I started using a Humminbird 565 portable this year. It has a 640 v pixel display comes with its own 12v rechargeable battery and charger and the whole works fits in a bag with no-skid feet. Very happy with it, will see some ice time soon.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM

I have the Bottomline fishing buddy. It also has the sidefinder.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 PM

You can use a 12 or 14 volt cordless drill battery.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I have the Bottomline fishing buddy. It also has the sidefinder.
What type do you have, and how do you like it. Recommend it?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 AM

Fishing Buddy ll. I really like it. Comes with a mounting bracket that is very easy to add or remove from a boat, pontoon, pretty much anything that floats. uses 3 'c"s'. Even used alot, Duracell's last a long time. Only drawback is it has to be lifted out of the water if your moving the boat, but that only takes a second. I've owned the permanents and a couple of the portables, but this has been the best. I've also used it in the winter in my ice hut. Works great.