Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-30-2008, 12:35 PM

Default ??? Boating Lessons ???

There will always be an argument for how extensive the boaters exam should be and how much the government should get involved with our everyday activities. I for one like the Gov. to stay out of my business!! But there is a roll for them to play in trying to manage our country in the peoples best interest. Regarding my other post, I really think that markers showing dangerous structure on popular lakes is a must. The boater exam I am not sure if it is the rite way to go? I myself did not read the manual and I did it online at 1/2 of the recommended time. All I did was guess at the most reasonable answer and I passed. Lets see your thoughts everyone and may we all learn a little from this post.
Dodger.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Default Agreed...

Shallow water markers,signs at boat launch's indicating trouble spots and warnings to be "weather wise" should done at all recreational bodies of water.
Experience with your boat ,it's size and HP will dictate how rough of water you can handle...AND when in doubt...get off the water until calm returns.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

I agree with Dodger. I don't think we need more gov't involvement and regulations, I think that's the last thing we need unless we want it to be cumbersome, expensive, and not accomplish the goals, then by all means, get the gov't involved.

Boating safety starts with the individual. It's up to every boat owner to make sure that they can safely operate their boat. It's also up to every individual to use their own judgement when assessing the weather conditions, their skills and their boat, while out on the water. I would like to see some classes or training made available to people who don't have the luxury of learning from more experienced friends or family. Ultimately though, I agree with a comment Walleyes made, you can't legislate common sense or outlaw stupid. People are going to make stupid decisions and there's really nothing that can be done about it other than try to give them the tools to make better ones.

I also agree that there should be much better marking of submerged hazards and structure on our waters. This kinda stuff is taken for granted out east where waterways are marked like highways and detailed structure maps are readily available. There's really no excuse for this (except the one below), especially on AB's man made lakes. Again though, people would actually have to obey the signs and use the maps.

An interesting story on the subject -

On Last Mountain Lake in SK, there's a well known LARGE boulder in the water about 100 yds off shore in front Collingwood Estates. It takes out a couple of boats and several outboards/sterndrives every year. The RCMP are well aware of it, as are the F&W people, neither have placed a bouy on the rock although it has been repeatedly requested. Under the direct warning of both agencies, no one else has placed a marker buoy on the boulder either. The reason - legal liability. If you mark the rock, then technically you are liable for the position of the bouy and any damage or injury that may result as a consequence of the bouy being there.

It's absolutely crazy, but that's the world we live in...

Waxy
Old 09-30-2008, 06:20 PM

Well written Waxy.
Dodger.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I agree with Dodger. I don't think we need more gov't involvement and regulations, I think that's the last thing we need unless we want it to be cumbersome, expensive, and not accomplish the goals, then by all means, get the gov't involved.

Boating safety starts with the individual. It's up to every boat owner to make sure that they can safely operate their boat. It's also up to every individual to use their own judgement when assessing the weather conditions, their skills and their boat, while out on the water. I would like to see some classes or training made available to people who don't have the luxury of learning from more experienced friends or family. Ultimately though, I agree with a comment Walleyes made, you can't legislate common sense or outlaw stupid. People are going to make stupid decisions and there's really nothing that can be done about it other than try to give them the tools to make better ones.
I also agree that there should be much better marking of submerged hazards and structure on our waters. This kinda stuff is taken for granted out east where waterways are marked like highways and detailed structure maps are readily available. There's really no excuse for this (except the one below), especially on AB's man made lakes. Again though, people would actually have to obey the signs and use the maps.

An interesting story on the subject -

On Last Mountain Lake in SK, there's a well known LARGE boulder in the water about 100 yds off shore in front Collingwood Estates. It takes out a couple of boats and several outboards/sterndrives every year. The RCMP are well aware of it, as are the F&W people, neither have placed a bouy on the rock although it has been repeatedly requested. Under the direct warning of both agencies, no one else has placed a marker buoy on the boulder either. The reason - legal liability. If you mark the rock, then technically you are liable for the position of the bouy and any damage or injury that may result as a consequence of the bouy being there.

It's absolutely crazy, but that's the world we live in...

Waxy
couldn't you mark the buoy-- proceed at your own risk-- annonymous.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
On Last Mountain Lake in SK, there's a well known LARGE boulder in the water about 100 yds off shore in front Collingwood Estates. It takes out a couple of boats and several outboards/sterndrives every year. The RCMP are well aware of it, as are the F&W people, neither have placed a bouy on the rock although it has been repeatedly requested. Under the direct warning of both agencies, no one else has placed a marker buoy on the boulder either. The reason - legal liability. If you mark the rock, then technically you are liable for the position of the bouy and any damage or injury that may result as a consequence of the bouy being there.Waxy
The reason that the RCMP or F&W have not marked the obstruction and advised anyone else not to do so is that they have no jurisdiction. Any markers, changes, construction etc. dealing with navigable waterways needs to be addressed with Transport Canada.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
The reason that the RCMP or F&W have not marked the obstruction and advised anyone else not to do so is that they have no jurisdiction. Any markers, changes, construction etc. dealing with navigable waterways needs to be addressed with Transport Canada.
Possibly, but that isn't how it was explained to the residents and boaters in the area by the RCMP and F&W. I'm not passing this on as rumour, I have direct and reliable info from people who have contacted both agencies, as well as the insurance companies of a couple people that have made claims as a result.

Besides, that makes about as much sense to me as the liability argument - ie none.

Waxy
Old 10-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker View Post
couldn't you mark the buoy-- proceed at your own risk-- annonymous.
It's a long ways away from me, and I know roughly where it is, so it doesn't really affect me (other than my insurance rates) but I agree, if I lived at or near that beach, I'd be slipping out onto the water late one night and a bouy would "magically" appear the next morning.

I'm actually kinda surprised no one has done it yet.

Waxy
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Default Marker buoy

I am surprised that F/W in conjuction with Fisheries and Oceans possibly don't install marker buoys designating hazards. For those of you that have taken the boater course or read one of the manuals, you will see that there are buoys made with specific colors that are designed specifically for that purpose.
http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/edu...-buoys-en.aspx
Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Default On a positive note

On a positive note , which many of you will know is not my usual

wont.....

Today I drove down the Deerfoot in Calgary , and I am going to

assume most people on there have a Govt. issued licence to operate

a motor vehicle ... You wouldnt know it by some of the performances

I think the govt has taken a positive step with the operators licence

after how many years of powerboating and related deaths in canada.

Knowledge is no guarantee that you are going to do the right thing

in a crisis situation . I have pulled people from the water after capsizing .

most were in shock ....most said they knew what to do but froze...

There is no doubt that more knowledge is available than what you get

by taking the operators exam , but I am sure that will come ....

Maybe we do need a private boating school ....a kind of thinkin on your feet training course ....

Again I apologise for the lack of sardonic wit I am having an off day ...
Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Well I passed the exam no problem as did my 2 sons, but it doesn't really help me when I take my 20 foot boat out on our shallow lakes if classes were available I would gladly take them. Better safe than sorry anytime
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

Personally, I think the current Boater's Exam and License is pretty much a waste of time and money.

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of boating can easily pass the exam, and those without it simply have to study the material for a weekend and then write the exam.

What does that do for you in reality? Nothing in my opinion. How much of your high school algebra do you remember? Heck, how much of last night's newspaper or the thread you read on AO the other day do you remember? Written tests like this do very little as far as I'm concerned when it comes to actually providing people with the knowledge and skills they need to safely operate their boat, and in particular the practical skills. They certainly don't actually assesses a person's ability to operate a boat.

It's like handing out driver's licensese to anyone that can pass the written learner's test and they've never even sat behind the wheel of a car before. It sounds unbelievable, but that's exactly what goes on when it comes to boating, and in reality, even that written exam isn't required as yet. The only qualifications you need to operate a boat is owning a boat. It's amazing there aren't more accidents actually when you think about it.

As I said, I don't like the idea of further gov't involvement and creating a system like that used for driver's licenses, but on the other hand, forcing people to have a minimum skill level before they can head out on the water would likely be a good thing for everyone. Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. Well actually I do, it's personal responsibility and common sense, but I think we all know where that gets us...

Waxy