Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Default Trolling motor battery

Hi all... I have been picking up some great info from the forum for a while and need to comment on what a great bunch of people participate here.
I have recently purchased a Colorado XT pontoon boat and a 30lb thrust Minn Kota. My question is, could I please get some input on what kind and size of battery anyone has used for something like this.
Cosco has a #24 deep cycle (95 amp hrs.) that I assume would give me all the time I need but...
I am only going to use it for short periods of time such as half days.
I like to still fish more than troll on small lakes such as Phyllis Lk so am trying to see if there is anything smaller than this that people have had success with.
Thanks for your time and here's to some great fishin!!
Cheers
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM

go with the deep cycle. only way to go i.m.o.
better too much left than not enough.
a little more weight to haul but well worth it.

orv.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 AM

I agree I bought two optima blue top deep cycles from costco 2 years ago and they are still going strong!

2 hundred bucks each sucked at the time but I plan to keep them for many more years.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

I got two nautilus deep cycle from CTC running 2 years now $99 a pop
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Deep cycle for sure. If you're in the Red Deer area, PM me.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 AM

The best DC batteries I have are from The Reel Doctor in Edmonton. I have had 10 or 12 in the last many years and these run the Minn Kota (and the RV) significantly better than any other I have had-have also heard good things about the DC from Costco so...............
Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM

I get all my batteries from the battery DR. in Edmonton. He rebuilds batteries and sells them as used units. Can't beat his price and he gives you a 1 year warranty. I havehis batteries in all my trucks, concrete pumps, forklifts, boat, sled, seadoo...

My buddy who told me about this guy runs them in his loaders, bobcats, grader, dumptrucks, pick ups. his boat..

never had one crap out.

just a thought if price was concern.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM

A sealed, Deep Cycle battery (AGM) is a good choice for a portable application where you are transporting the battery and taking it in and out all the time. No acid to spill on clothing, carpeting, etc etc. If you get an AGM get a good 10 amp charger with an AGM setting.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM

I get my batteries from here.

http://www.thebatterydoctorsreddeer.com/?q=node/6

The Trojan's are a good brand for the type of use you've describe.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Looking for an Optima deep cycle to use. Someone mentioned they bought one at Costco. Which Costco? I am in Calgary and have been to the one up Sarcee, but never seen the Optima deep cycle ones there. Anyone know if another Costco has them?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM

I picked up a marine deep cycle booster battery pack from Ctire last year I was told it wouldnt be any good for a trolling motor but it seemed to work just fine plus with the carrying hand and a few extras it is very easy to handle
Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 PM

I have used them at Maligne Lake for 31 years and if you get r28 you get 180 amp hours or get r32 you get 205.. i get 7 to 10 years out of mne but recharge every 3 months.. i use cat batterys too 430 amp hours but am getting to old to lift..lol.. i use a 55 lb thrust Mini-kota 12 volt with amp meter and variable speed to push a 14 ft aluimium Misty RiverPicture%20655.jpg
Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 PM

Group 24 is all the weight you'll want to have on a pontoon and if you sue it like you say it will be more than enough, too much really. I saw Nautilus on sale a cdn.tire this week and I think you get a 20 dollar gift card with your purchase. i just bought a group 27 (120 amp hrs) at Walmart for 87.00 which seemed like a good deal to me but it is going in my boat to run my bow mount. Really I think you could go smaller/lighter than a 24. Give that battery dr. guy a call and he might have the right set up for your needs. The most important thing to keep a deep cycle a long time is to charge it every time you've used it and every couple of months in the off season as well. Best of luck. Rick.