Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Default Todd Standish with a restricted firearm in a Canadian / Alberta documentary

Anyone have an opinion on Todd Standish and his documentary ?
Any handgun owners who follow the opressing restricted gun laws of our country find that he walks around Nordegg country with what appears to be a .44 or .357 in plain view in a hip holster a bit of a kick in the junk ?
Has anyone heard of any investigation / charges into him carrying said revolver?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:25 PM

Do you mean Todd standing? Bigfoot hunting dude?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbhunter View Post
Anyone have an opinion on Todd Standish and his documentary ?
Any handgun owners who follow the opressing restricted gun laws of our country find that he walks around Nordegg country with what appears to be a .44 or .357 in plain view in a hip holster a bit of a kick in the junk ?
Has anyone heard of any investigation / charges into him carrying said revolver?
I watched his "Discovering Bigfoot" documentary on netflix and I noticed the handgun as well...........
Old 12-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Banned

Maybe he has authorization to do so?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:54 PM

If he has his own company he may qualify for a wilderness ATC. I know several contractors in the natural resources field who do field work alone in the mountains and they qualified to get a wilderness carry permit.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:02 PM

I have a friend out by slave lake that has a permit to carry in the bush.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:08 PM

It's very common. Especially in BC.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:34 PM

I wonder if I can get a carry permit because I'm around those ignorant bellerin' fence chargin' dink dairy bulls all the time.......
Old 12-17-2017, 06:46 PM

I didn’t know he had a film out where can i see it i just look on netflix but couldn’t find it.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Prop?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 PM

Default He shouldn’t be eligible.

Looks like slipped through the cracks in the system. I wouldn’t let him carry a B.B. gun.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Do you mean Todd standing? Bigfoot hunting dude?
Shouldn’t the title “Bigfoot hunting dude” disqualify you from possessing restricted ?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Shouldn’t the title “Bigfoot hunting dude” disqualify you from possessing restricted ?
You would think so... Thanks for the chuckle
Old 12-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I wonder if I can get a carry permit because I'm around those ignorant bellerin' fence chargin' dink dairy bulls all the time.......
I beleive you can.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Recently had one of them dairy bulls kill a young local Hutterite fellow. Reason enough to have ATC in my books.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 PM

River Road Colony and it was his young son that found his body in the bull pen.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:15 PM

I watched it, most of it. I didn’t finish it. Couldn’t stop laughing/rubbing my head.
I also noticed his side arm, but assumed those were parts he had filmed in the states as he mentioned.
There was also great footage of him in that Argo cruising down a creek.

I went in with an open mind...but when he started talking about his expertise as a cree trained stealth guru combined with footage of him doing pirouettes and a nice ballet routine in a ghillie suit I did an eye roll so hard it gave me a mild headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
I watched it, most of it. I didn’t finish it. Couldn’t stop laughing/rubbing my head.
I also noticed his side arm, but assumed those were parts he had filmed in the states as he mentioned.
There was also great footage of him in that Argo cruising down a creek.

I went in with an open mind...but when he started talking about his expertise as a cree trained stealth guru combined with footage of him doing pirouettes and a nice ballet routine in a ghillie suit I did an eye roll so hard it gave me a mild headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pure crap...but some like it

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Maybe he has authorization to do so?
I don't know how true, but believe it's legal to open carry your restricted on the land description it's registered to, as long as it isn't loaded & you don't discharge it . Kinda like -- I'm just conditioning the holster to fit said gun. People would raise eyebrows, and might get a visit from LEO'S but apparently , theres no law saying you can't, as it isn't being transported anywhere.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
I don't know how true, but believe it's legal to open carry your restricted on the land description it's registered to, as long as it isn't loaded & you don't discharge it . Kinda like -- I'm just conditioning the holster to fit said gun. People would raise eyebrows, and might get a visit from LEO'S but apparently , theres no law saying you can't, as it isn't being transported anywhere.

Not true. The atc I had was for ab/bc. Not a specific land description. I could only carry when I was doing my job and only in a approved holster. I did not have a revolver at the time but I understand that it is to be loaded with the hammer on a empty cylinder. My automatic was carried with one in the pipe and mag loaded, safety on. It is to be carried fully visible. You are correct that it is not supposed to be discharged unless needed or at gun range.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 PM

Call me crazy but i just emailed him to see of i could truck along for a weekend with him.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 PM

Default If you hear Banjo’s

Ruuuuuun!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Not true. The atc I had was for ab/bc. Not a specific land description. I could only carry when I was doing my job and only in a approved holster. I did not have a revolver at the time but I understand that it is to be loaded with the hammer on a empty cylinder. My automatic was carried with one in the pipe and mag loaded, safety on. It is to be carried fully visible. You are correct that it is not supposed to be discharged unless needed or at gun range.
My post isn't really regarding carrying for protection for work related duties. Just saying if the gun is on the property it's registered to , the is no law that says you can't put it in a holster ( visible) & strut around said property with it unloaded all day as long as you don't load or discharge it. Personally I feel any restricted permit holder in Canada should be able to ( open carry) his/ her restricted in wilderness/ remote areas for predator protection/ survival emergency situations , instead of this --oh! you can have an ATC for this purpose, & sorry, you rejected ATC applicants-- your life/ safety isn't that important so you can't. This should be challenged through the Charter of rights & FREEDOMS--- an obvious two tier system.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:55 AM
Banned

My apologies for misinterpretation of your post. I was hoping to educate some to perhaps applying for the ATC and possibly sending a message to Ottawa that a large group of people want this.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Default Atc

Guys, getting an ATC for work related carry is no "Walk in the Park" it is a Marathon, you better be able to make a good case with RCMP CFO's for the need. I just went through the process for ATC for trapline in grizzly country. You now need to shoot like 'Billy the Kid" need more than 80% hits at 3 different distances on target. I assume he met the CFO criteria for his ATC.